HPI Trophy 3.5 vs LRP S8 BX RTR's >

HPI Trophy 3.5 vs LRP S8 BX RTR's

HPI Trophy 3.5 vs LRP S8 BX RTR's

Old 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default HPI Trophy 3.5 vs LRP S8 BX RTR's

Howdy guys, long time forum reader, first time poster

I am relatively new to R/C nitro, had a r/c car about 15-20 years ago (a 'Cox Bandido' if anyone remembers the car, think it was a re-badged Kyosho Pegasus....ahhh the memories!)

I am looking at getting back into RC, and was looking at a RTR package, and can't decide between these 2 buggies....I am initially looking for a fun (fast) car with a view of doing the odd club race and being competitive (provided my driving abilities are up to scratch).

Done a little research, and the following is a list I came up with (pro's and con's if you will)

a) Both RTR packages are around the same price (circa AU$480-$500)

b) The trophy is basically a re-shelled HotBodies Lightning 2, which appears to be a proven design

c) LRP are renowned for good quality electrical gear and engines, which should mean their cars are of a similar standard (they claim its the best RTR in its value class)

d) HPI have terrifc aftermarket support, with replacement/hop-up parts at reasonable prices, stocked by most LHS's

e) LRP parts are available, but a little more pricey, mostly have to be ordered via online hobby shop, but are available (not such a worry)

f) Given the above point, having to obtain a replacement part is less likely, because from what I have read, the LRP S8 BX buggy is quite a sturdy piece of kit with no major flaws in quality/reliability

g) The HPI engine produces a circa 2.5 HP on tap, as opposed to the LRP Z.21 engine which is a claimed 2.12 HP

h) Given the above point, the LRP appears to have a slightly better chassis design, slightly narrower in width, has a front sway bar, relatively large shocks and active caster rear end for better manouverability

i) They both look the goods in the visual department

j) From what I've read, stock RTR servo's aren't up to the task, so I have budgeted for Metal geared servos (9kg plus)

I just can't decide

I would like opinions from individuals regarding the two choices (either objective or subjective) to help me make a decision before I put hard-earned cash down, so as I don't regret it later on......

I have also considered the HoBao/OFNA Hyper 7 TQ (which runs a .21/.28 engine), which is around the same price and has good spares support, but every man and his dog has one where I live, I like to be a little different Although they are an old design (5+ years from what I've read) and heavy compared to modern buggies, they are quite reliable.....

Please be kind to a noob

PS sorry for the long-winded thread

Cheers

Frank

Last edited by wombat; 08-21-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wombat,

Both buggies are a good buy. Which also doesnt answer your question, but the HPI cars are IMO aimed at the backyard basher, although very capable at the odd club race.

What cars does you LHS sell, a good support backup is a large factor in buying a car so if you do run into problems you can get back on the dirt quicker. Talk to them to see what they sell. (possibly another brand or maybe stock more of the one you listed)

Anthony
Old 08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

mate you cant go past the hpi my first 1/8th nitro was a hb lightning 2 and its still going three years later
Old 09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hey

it think the best idea would be to get the HPI. like you said they have great After sale suport and are easy to get parts for. The LRP is a bit more difficult to get parts for and Throlte and brake linkage is a bit of a hand for to put back to gether. the LRP is more of a race Vehicle than the HPI but if you want to bash then the HPI is the way to go. in the end it is up to you but if you want the bash and a little bit of racing get the HPI and if you want the Race with a little bit of bashing then get the LRP.

hope this helps
dane