Wiki Posts
Search

Perhaps this is a good reason not to buy an 09 car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)
Smile Perhaps this is a good reason not to buy an 09 car

Could this be what all 2010 models will be like with the lipo taking over?

Check this out www.exotekracing.com

Perhaps makes buying a 2009 model a waste of time...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FK05 lover
Could this be what all 2010 models will be like with the lipo taking over?

Check this out www.exotekracing.com

Perhaps makes buying a 2009 model a waste of time...
I think that a central battery layout - Losi style,but built with Xray quality and durability would be fantastic..

Next years cars could well be this way. Though I guess they won't be doing a new car.....a bit like this year with only a face lift..
Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the current fleet of 6 cell---> to lipo converted cars do look very unbalanced and slightly wonky. All the weight to the outer edges means the cars shift their weight slower, and would be slower in quick direction changes.

I definately recon some manufacturers would probably experiment with centralised systems simialr to the electric team magic. Problem with this design is you need to raise the centre of gravity in the centre if everything is dead centre, otherwise it wouldn't turn too good and shift directions too good either, it might also be too grippy on a high traction track. With the whole higher centre of gravity thing, i'm Thinking of a motorbike, if the weight was all in the centre, and the driver didn't shift the weight around, a bike wouldn't be too quick around a track, it's the shift of the weight that makes it work, and the centre of gravity....i don't know, just thinking out loud, maybe i'm wrong. Any mechanical engineers here?

you'd also have to find the right spots for the servo and speedy.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I wouldn't expect a huge change in car design until after the 2010 worlds... after all IFMAR has already stipulated NiMH for them and quite possibly 5 cell as well still...

I think more manufacturers will make chassis that are more lipo friendly... the Mi4 and the Photon are great examples... but don't expect anyone to really shake up the establishment until after the 2010 Worlds
Old 06-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TomB
the current fleet of 6 cell---> to lipo converted cars do look very unbalanced and slightly wonky. All the weight to the outer edges means the cars shift their weight slower, and would be slower in quick direction changes.

I definately recon some manufacturers would probably experiment with centralised systems simialr to the electric team magic. Problem with this design is you need to raise the centre of gravity in the centre if everything is dead centre, otherwise it wouldn't turn too good and shift directions too good either, it might also be too grippy on a high traction track. With the whole higher centre of gravity thing, i'm Thinking of a motorbike, if the weight was all in the centre, and the driver didn't shift the weight around, a bike wouldn't be too quick around a track, it's the shift of the weight that makes it work, and the centre of gravity....i don't know, just thinking out loud, maybe i'm wrong. Any mechanical engineers here?

you'd also have to find the right spots for the servo and speedy.
It's all about compromise. You can centre the battery/motor like the jrxs/e4 but that forces your bulkheads wider and complicates the design of the top and bottom decks. I'm sure designers can get around that eventually, but from what I've seen there's no significant advantage one way or the other.

The lipo fit in the photon is a lot nicer than in the 416 and all my gear is mounted much closer together, so the new crop of cars (e.g. photon, 009, phi '09) designed for lipo should have some polar movement advantages over cars that require lipo trays, whether or not you can tell is another question altogether
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=ShadowAu;6007243]I wouldn't expect a huge change in car design until after the 2010 worlds... after all IFMAR has already stipulated NiMH for them and quite possibly 5 cell as well still...

Hi

Out of interest is this information a fact.

Is there an official link for the 2010 electric on road worlds?

Cheers
Old 07-01-2009, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

[QUOTE=BRUTICAS;6009230]
Originally Posted by ShadowAu
I wouldn't expect a huge change in car design until after the 2010 worlds... after all IFMAR has already stipulated NiMH for them and quite possibly 5 cell as well still...

Hi

Out of interest is this information a fact.

Is there an official link for the 2010 electric on road worlds?

Cheers
Can't say how official it is but it was reported in Racing Lines last issue (I think) in part of the TITC event coverage
Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

well who's to say designs will be based around an oldschool "stickpack" style design. I recon if i was a designer i'd try to use the offroad electric buggy style pack design. this way you can shift weight around, forward, back etc.

i recon designs might return back to the old fk04 style! I've always wanted to personally put the new T2 generation arms onto the old fk04 myself, i recon it would be a screamer of a kit with the added adjustability of the T2 designed arms, and smaller rotating parts of the cvd's etc etc.

i wouldn't be suprised if a large tourer brand pairs up with a large battery manufacturer to make a new design pack for a specific new gen car.