Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie here

Sorry guys for the silly questions but here we go.

I live in Melbourne and I'm looking to join a club, I haven't done this before and will like to ask a few things:

1. What's the difference between Nitro, Pull Start and Tourer Pro Racing?
2. Which scale racing is the more popular, 1/8 Scale or 1/5 Scale or there's really no difference?
3. If I go to a hobbies shop and purchase a car, will that car be competitive or I will I need to make some modifications to make it competitive?

Thanks guys,

Enrique
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1. Pull start are slower motors and is the begginer class This is were I would start Tourer is the fast cars
2.1/10th scale racing is more popular in onroad and 1/8th in offroad. 1/10th is were it is at in onroad
3.Yes you can purchase a competive car at a hobby shop str8 out of the box I am 1 eyed Kyosho so I would get an Fw-05 shaft drive car or an V1S3 belt drive car but both aimed at pullstart class if you get the v1s3 when you think you are rdy you can just upgrade the motor and race in tourer
I am sure more experenced racers will answer as well
Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hi, melb track i don't know.

to keep it simple
1. nitro racing runs cars on nitro fuel
pull start, runs on nitro fuel, uses a pullstart to get the engine to run

2. popular is 1/10th and 1/8th scale......

3. do some research on the cars in what scale you want to go to. brands = kyosho, xray, mugen, serpent etc. all great and competitive cars. depending on your budget comes into play. if you get one of the above cars, im sure for a newbie ( and speaking as one myself ) you won't need any modifications at first.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bollard
2.1/10th scale racing is more popular in onroad and 1/8th in offroad.
Well I would have to dispute part of that. 1/10 offroad is more popular than 1/8 in melbourne metro area. If you are just starting out I would suggest an ep car as the learning curve in running the car is much easier. What area are you in? Perhaps you should go visit your local clubs and see what you like the best.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Well I would have to dispute part of that. 1/10 offroad is more popular than 1/8 in melbourne metro area. If you are just starting out I would suggest an ep car as the learning curve in running the car is much easier. What area are you in? Perhaps you should go visit your local clubs and see what you like the best.
I live in Melbourne metro, close to the CBD. I'm going to e-mail the guy in charge of the club to get his take. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Bollard
1. Pull start are slower motors and is the begginer class This is were I would start Tourer is the fast cars
2.1/10th scale racing is more popular in onroad and 1/8th in offroad. 1/10th is were it is at in onroad
3.Yes you can purchase a competive car at a hobby shop str8 out of the box I am 1 eyed Kyosho so I would get an Fw-05 shaft drive car or an V1S3 belt drive car but both aimed at pullstart class if you get the v1s3 when you think you are rdy you can just upgrade the motor and race in tourer
I am sure more experenced racers will answer as well
I take that a 1 eyed Kyosho is the type of car you run?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Sure is m8 between me and my brother we have
1 FW-05t
1 V1S3 Kyosho cup edition 2
1 2005 wc Evolva
3 V1RRR
2 Mp777
3 Mini-z's
I love them and always will You pay a bit more but like I always say you get what you pay for
Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pty10
I live in Melbourne metro, close to the CBD. I'm going to e-mail the guy in charge of the club to get his take. Thanks for your input.
Yeah no probs mate, it really comes down to where you feel comfortable as it is all about having fun!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

I agree but I thought he was talking about nitro not electric
For offroad clubs Nitro there is only MORRCC at sunshine
Offroad electric ther is Knox on the east side and Kellor on the west
Electric onroad you have heaps there is Morninton Danndy Baroina Templestow Kellor
Nitro onroad you have Mornignton Danndy Lillydale and Kellor
So yes elecric offroad is the best to get into I just started racing this at Knox and is awsome awsome fun
Old 04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

I think a lot of ppl look at nitro because of the sound and they think of them more like real cars. They dont realise that they are more expensive to buy and run than an ep car. The amount of newbies I see having problems with gp cars is massive as there is a lot to learn to get them to run right.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Tech Rookie

I think a lot of ppl look at nitro because of the sound and they think of them more like real cars. They dont realise that they are more expensive to buy and run than an ep car. The amount of newbies I see having problems with gp cars is massive as there is a lot to learn to get them to run right.
What's an ep car?
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pty10
What's an ep car?
ep = electric power
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by beers4evo
ep = electric power
gotcha, thanks mate.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Default same same

M8t, i just got me a mini, it is so much fun, i am getting better to race it but just need sum practise here in Perth. The guys in Sydney really race good in the minis, they must ahve so much stuff but for the speed but i will get ther 1day
Rodg