Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
I thought exactly the same thing...You can feel the quiteness,its amasing
Were you trying to say amusing or amazing as either would be appropriate in that context?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nckmat
Were you trying to say amusing or amazing as either would be appropriate in that context?
dont no...
Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Thanks to Gavin for the photos.
Also thanks to Peli for posting them.

I was totally unaware of that pic of me being taken, funny that the table has my name written on it so people know who i am.

I will return. . .
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Tech Master

Where's ant???? And the claw????
Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimkoimanis
Early starts (for me). Taking pics of models. Park this morning jogging etc then gym. Tomorrow 5.30am beach swimwear shoot. Serious. Would be awesome if not so early. Still will be awesome. Off to bed now.

Just happy to be working...
Old 11-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Chick today was super cute actually. FML. to be a bachelor again.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimkoimanis
Who wants to know doof doof sic bro!!
Old 11-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Default You are Kidding

Hello All
I guess after many years of racing at Ryde and being Proud to call Ryde my Home for RC, this is a hard blogg to write and with the fear of offending some close friends I have to say "What the hell are you guys doing" is RC Racing for everyone or the 10 that design and build a track and live local enough to practise every day. Have the Crusty Demons taken control of Sydney RC, I am totally disapointed in what all you have done to an icon for RC, or what was a great spot for RC, and you guys are trying to promote the sport, the sport is not about flying through the air and busting your car......As a famous Aussie use to say......Shame Shame Shame.
Rob Russell
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bexfatt
Hello All
I guess after many years of racing at Ryde and being Proud to call Ryde my Home for RC, this is a hard blogg to write and with the fear of offending some close friends I have to say "What the hell are you guys doing" is RC Racing for everyone or the 10 that design and build a track and live local enough to practise every day. Have the Crusty Demons taken control of Sydney RC, I am totally disapointed in what all you have done to an icon for RC, or what was a great spot for RC, and you guys are trying to promote the sport, the sport is not about flying through the air and busting your car......As a famous Aussie use to say......Shame Shame Shame.
Rob Russell
Hmm.... How to respond to this... Different strokes for different folks?
Recent Ryde has been all about challenging elements in a track. A mix of jumps, turns, undulations and straights.
Has the club has lost a few members because of it? probably. But it has definitely grown many times over because of it as well
Jumps, big or small are not all that different to corners... you need to slow down or you'll break something.

I'm curious to what you broke. I don't claim to have nearly as much RC experience as yourself, and I've been fairly time poor this year so have not had very much track time on the current layout. To date, i've only broken a rear arm on a Gambler. It was the dodgy v1 arms that were poorly made, and I was doing something stupid.
Also, the fact that I've not really broken anything is not due to not trying. I'm one of those who try to triple triple the camel backs..
Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello All
Rob Russell
I feel the opposite, There is no way i would of done more than 1 club day on that old track as it was just like an onroad track.

Its offroad and jumps are fun.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Two years ago the club was lucky if we got 25 entries for a Saturday night in the middle of winter and now we average about 40-50. The club was in a negative cash flow position and races were regularly called off because of rain even if it had rained two days before, twelve in 2010 compared to 4 this year. About 25% of our entries every week come from outside the club and we have a number of new members this year who have moved from other clubs, specifically because of the new track format.

No other 1/10 electric club in Sydney can run every week with 40+ entries.

The track was designed with input from many, many members and we asked for ideas at the beginning of the year and used those features that came up most often, the most requested being a cross-over and a large jump section. We even had a trial day before we completed the track for people to have their input into which features they liked and which they didn't and it was modified accordingly; we had 25 people turn up for that day.

The track is approximately 350m long and only 30m of that is jumps, it is predominantly a flat track. Compared to the previous two formats there are less jumps, more corners, it's wider and longer.

If we lost 5 or 6 regulars to gain 20 or 25 new regulars then so be it, the overall benefit has been positive.

90% of the people who race at Ryde come from areas that require them to travel for over 45 minutes to get to the track, in fact there are only 4 members who live in the Ryde council area. So the majority of racers only get to practice on race days. We have a number of regulars who come from, Nowra, Central Coast and even Newcastle.

We have racers aged from 6 to 80, who don't have a problem with the track.

Can the old style tracks make these same claims?

These are the facts, so have we done the wrong thing?

Last edited by nckmat; 11-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default confused:

Hello All
Rob Russell

I don't know why you are complaining we only have about 2 months or so left of this track before it's redesigned anyway . So if you are a member of our great track/club put your 2 cents in when the club ask for input into the design of the new track
Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As a visitor from out of town my input isn't as valuable here. Needed to say that up front.

When I first saw the track, I had a similar reaction, it just seemed like there were jumps everywhere and it was all very tricky. I still think some of the sections might be a little daunting for a beginner, but after my first meeting I was a fan. The track is really interesting and challenging and I really enjoy driving it. I wouldn't want every track to be like Ryde, but that's just because I think offroad (and racing in general) should be about variety. When I go somewhere else I want to be challenged in different ways. I also like Castle Hill too for instance, it's all about staying on line and getting your turn in points exactly right.

The only thing, after driving the track a few times that I think needs improvement is the drop-off from the cross-over jump. It's just too far down. Sure, you can take it slower and that would be easier on your car, but it's not the fastest way, and in a race you're forced by competition to take the fastest option. I've broken the car 3 times on that jump. At the CS round the chassis was slapping the ground even when I took the jump right - it doesn't usually do that, and I made set-up changes to try and lessen the impact. Once I landed the car perfectly and the front shock tower broke in half. I've also had to reinforce the rear of the XX-4 chassis with an aluminium skid plate mainly for that jump.

having said that, it doesn't need too much improvement, the landing area just needs to be a foot and a half higher that's all.

The section of rhythm jumps is very cool, and there are so many ways you can take them. The change that was made between the Shield and the CS round made a big difference in Stock. The corner table is a spot where you can really make up time too, it's great.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Regular

As nick ha said we have more people running this year on the new layout compared to last year it's just like the old saying build it and they will come and come they have the track has only been that way for eleven months now its a a a bit late for whine
Old 11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The track is great and job well done to the track crew for building it, including foreman Nick for getting the soil in the first place.

I do agree with Daniel about the landing ramp for the cross-over jump, it needs to be higher, even when i land it perfectly the chassis is bottoming out and slapping quite hard, other than that, it's a great track to race on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.