Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
  #13696  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney,Australia
Posts: 2,704
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by prontozuk
I am not sure what to get as a next RC. would not mind a PRO4... but i hardly get to race at the moment with all the camping and stuff i do with our 4WD club.

The Pro4's are getting popular..i know a few more people that are thinking bout dropping coin on 1...

Its going to be my chrissy prezzie..From Justin,To Peli
Peli is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 PM
  #13697  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
juzza99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: lrrcc track, sydney
Posts: 830
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Peli
Thanks mate......I thought the mark may just have been a mould mark.
But,the claw wasnt strong enough to flex them to see

The boss of Jcons told me the Hazards were designed after the wheels of the Dukes of Hazzard..
Checked,they surely are...Like old Cheviots.....Maybe paint em silver,yor SC shell is already orange!

Cheers Justin....My SC is getting a rebuild,ready for battle with you

The Chev is making a comeback
I finally have a decent setup on my sc10, i got rid off the mass oversteer that i had going on.. Love the gear diff too( even though its very noisy)..lol Cant wait to battle again dude.
juzza99 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 07:50 PM
  #13698  
DJB
Tech Regular
iTrader: (17)
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 499
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by juzza99
I finally have a decent setup on my sc10, i got rid off the mass oversteer that i had going on.. Love the gear diff too( even though its very noisy)..lol Cant wait to battle again dude.
Juzza, how did you eliminate this oversteer? I've tryed to add a massive amount of rear toe in, but this also doesnt help straightline speed/tracking.... Ive got decent tires on (holeshots or double dees or snipers....) and front bow tie. maybe they are digging in too much?

My gear diff I cant get to shim properly. Peli, how many shims you running under the big crown gears?
DJB is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:02 PM
  #13699  
1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nckmat
Ahh, just saw this question, sorry got caught up in the whole world domination gig. Well I was thinking about the IFMAR Worlds in Argentina as going by the last time a world championship was held in the Southern Hemisphere (in South Africa) I could have a good chance of a podium place.

This is because Americans are so bloody insular as illustrated by a grab I was reading in Xtreme RC yesterday where they were having a whinge that the Worlds were being held in "second rate country" and implying that the facilities would be second rate and why should they have to travel to a second rate country to race toy cars. 1) Argentina is hardly a 3rd World country, in fact it's poverty levels are probably about the same as the US (I could be wrong on that one, but not far off), 2) the main problem with the South African entries was because the US media put the fear of god into the teams so they all stayed away. That means the host club doesn't get the entry fees they need to improve the facility and so they get a second rate track. And South Africa is hardly Bangladesh, there you might have an argument.

Another thing I read that cracked me up about the Worlds in Thailand was all these Americans complaining that the food made them sick, this coming from a bunch of blokes that make me look skinny! They went in search of McDonald's because their diabetes trained palettes couldn't handle what is undoubtedly one of the world's great cuisines. It's like when I was having the most fantastic pizza of my life in Porlezza on the banks of Lake Lugarno and there was this outrageously fat American family who complained to the waiter that their pizzas were too thin and when he told them that that was the only type of pizza they did the Yanks ordered two more pizzas each; now this is one of the most expensive regions in Europe and pizza, which was more than enough for me for lunch, cost about $30 so for this family of 4 they spent about $360 on pizza! For the first time in the three weeks I had spent with her I heard my Italian host swear; I didn't realise that wanker has a direct Italian translation. Gluttony in its truest definition.

I know this story has nothing to do with RC but it is illustrative of one of the main problems I see in the industry at the moment which is this blind faith in American "know how" whether it's a misguided belief that made in USA is a positive attribute (how many Novak speedies have we seen smoke at Ryde in the past two years) or the sheep-like following of US rules by AARCMCC.

Associated is quietly being made in Asia now and yet the US media always give a very myopic review of anything that openly admits to being made in China. I actually read a review last year of a ready-to-run car (I think it was an English model) in Xtreme RC where the reviewer said it "comes with a Hobby Wing esc, whic I haven't heard of before, but it will probably do the job." Haven't heard of Hobby Wing! What bloody RC planet are these guys on! So you have a myopic view of foreign brands, you have media and bloggers scarring people away from international events because of their cultural ignorance and then on top of that the few RC magazines left in the US shamelessly plugging their advertisers and giving better reviews (on the whole) to US branded, note I didn't say US made, products. Just look at a review for any Traxxas product in a US magazine if you want an example.

This problem isn't isolated to the RC scene it is symptomatic of the American economy in general and is, I would argue, the main reason their entire system has turned to shit and they are handing over their economy to the Chinese. Just look at what is happening with the Congressional Super Committe at the moment, they can't even come to an agreement amongst themselves to save their economy, it's like two men who are drowning fighting over two life jackets. This blind faith in "the American way" has sunk their ship and now they can't save themselves because they are too busy blaming each other for running it into the iceberg. And yet at the same time boasting what great captains they are and telling everybody to continue following them. It would make a funny script if it weren't all so real.

So what does this have to do with me doing an international RC race, well while the US RC community keep boasting, ridiculing the rest of the world and ignoring what is going on around them, I can slip past Steven Bradbury style and take out the gold! Well if nobody else enters that is.
Awesome, thanks for turning that topic on it's head.

The problem is that America is so damn cool, but that's in thanks only to 10 percent or less of the population making it so. There are definitely many knuckle heads over there and red necks, but you'll find that the good americans hate them too.

I think many countries that are powerful have their issues, so it's not fair to finger stateside. Except in your point I guess, because USA is responsible for influencing much of RC culture in Aus. Just look at the SCT boom.

Oh and AE is owned by Thunder Tiger, and I can't think of place any more fun than South America to go race RC cars. PARTY.

Next question. What has been the most memorable race meeting for you?
1 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
  #13700  
1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by prontozuk
I am not sure what to get as a next RC. would not mind a PRO4... but i hardly get to race at the moment with all the camping and stuff i do with our 4WD club.
How about you get a scale crawler, then you can play with it when you're out 4wd'ing and camping.
1 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 PM
  #13701  
1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Anarchy in the USA.

Thanks for the title Dave Mustaine.

Was thinking about Nick's piece above. The US is such a big place with so much existentialism amongst polarised politics, polarised personal wealth issues and personal expressions of freedom.

Though this was funny, instead of the redneck in a pick-up truck shooting Dennis hopper a cop will shoot a punk motorcyclist for riding mono. Remember seeing a clip of a undercover cop run up to a motorcyclist and stick a gun in his face for just speeding. Then another try to grab one from behind at the traffic lights for speeding, biker felt an attacker and gunned it away dragging the 60yo cop across the red light intersection.

I'm not judging either police or bikers, just saying that the USA has testosterone issues

Video clip http://vimeo.com/29415302
1 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
  #13702  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney,Australia
Posts: 2,704
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

That standup camera man is insane...ballsy

Dan,im not to sure whats in there mate..i just no its a bitch to get the pin back in,so im guessing 2 fat shims,and 1 skinny...

was running 5000 weight oil..its not enough,im thinking maybe 6000 or 7000
Peli is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM
  #13703  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
old_skoolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,155
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

saw this today, very funny
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I in no way condone drink driving
old_skoolie is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:55 AM
  #13704  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
nckmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,430
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 1
Awesome, thanks for turning that topic on it's head.

The problem is that America is so damn cool, but that's in thanks only to 10 percent or less of the population making it so. There are definitely many knuckle heads over there and red necks, but you'll find that the good americans hate them too.

I think many countries that are powerful have their issues, so it's not fair to finger stateside. Except in your point I guess, because USA is responsible for influencing much of RC culture in Aus. Just look at the SCT boom.

Oh and AE is owned by Thunder Tiger, and I can't think of place any more fun than South America to go race RC cars. PARTY.

Next question. What has been the most memorable race meeting for you?
It took some thinking but the winner by a long way was about a month or so ago when Jasper had his first race meet, the smile on his face and the enthusiasm he showed right up till bedtime was absolutely priceless. Somebody said to at the time, won't you be embarrassed when he starts beating you and I didn't even have to think about my reply, of course not watching your kids winning is even better than winning yourself, can't explain why, it just is. Like watching Jasper's first goal at soccer this year, there is no doubt or justification when your kids achieve something just raw pride. When you win something yourself, well for me anyway, there is always this little doubt at the back of mind, maybe I only won because the other guys were off today or I just pulled off a Bradbury, but when it's your offspring that doubt just isn't there, unless your a prick that is.
nckmat is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:08 AM
  #13705  
Tech Master
 
jimkoimanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: greenacre
Posts: 1,188
Default

another body by habibs bodys for the pelican
bugleboys 8mm b4.1 body

Last edited by jimkoimanis; 06-14-2016 at 01:49 AM.
jimkoimanis is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:15 AM
  #13706  
1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nckmat
It took some thinking but the winner by a long way was about a month or so ago when Jasper had his first race meet, the smile on his face and the enthusiasm he showed right up till bedtime was absolutely priceless. Somebody said to at the time, won't you be embarrassed when he starts beating you and I didn't even have to think about my reply, of course not watching your kids winning is even better than winning yourself, can't explain why, it just is. Like watching Jasper's first goal at soccer this year, there is no doubt or justification when your kids achieve something just raw pride. When you win something yourself, well for me anyway, there is always this little doubt at the back of mind, maybe I only won because the other guys were off today or I just pulled off a Bradbury, but when it's your offspring that doubt just isn't there, unless your a prick that is.
That's just plain awesome. Nice to hear.

Ok, you might enjoy this question. What would be really fun alternative power technology for us to race our little cars? Like solar? Nuclear? Steam? Methane?
1 is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:26 AM
  #13707  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
nckmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,430
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 1
Can I just ask a stupid question: how does that guy standing on his bike keep it going? Time to use an emoticon
nckmat is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 AM
  #13708  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
nckmat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,430
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 1
That's just plain awesome. Nice to hear.

Ok, you might enjoy this question. What would be really fun alternative power technology for us to race our little cars? Like solar? Nuclear? Steam? Methane?
Oh that's easy: NITROUS OXIDE BOMBS! Then when you get sick of driving you can just fill your lungs with a bit of happy gas! I still can't beleive we used to do that, way to explode your lungs!
nckmat is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:44 AM
  #13709  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney,Australia
Posts: 2,704
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jimkoimanis
another body by habibs bodys for the pelican
bugleboys 8mm b4.1 body

Nice work Habib...the marbling looks cool in the flames...

And the tinted windows


Guess that means i better clean the b4.1....get some pretty pics..
Peli is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:48 AM
  #13710  
1
Tech Elite
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,139
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by nckmat
Oh that's easy: NITROUS OXIDE BOMBS! Then when you get sick of driving you can just fill your lungs with a bit of happy gas! I still can't beleive we used to do that, way to explode your lungs!
Yeah that's nice, get your buzz on, relax the thoughts I guess. Which kind of loosely ties into my next question. Do you source any spiritual inspiration when you race or run race control?
1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.