Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vikingen
those indoor tracks are pretty insane... poor scando bastards don't have much choice since they can only race outdoors for maybe 5 months of the year.

the wife's home town in sweden has a 1/8th gp offroad club. most of their meets aren't at the track, they are at someones house where they just sit around looking at each others cars, talking about how many months it is until they can race again

gotta love Aus
Ha ha, that's what I thought. Too cold outside, that's why they have to put up with tiny layouts. Good on them for adding the crazy intense technical stuff.

Check out the size of these 2, they look better. Still no substitute for packed dirt and clay.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Peli
That banked wall ride is nuts...how quickly do they come out of it

No Nick....No Tamiya for me,no phillips heads or silver cans here

Thats a new 1 for the next morning.....Whos got my RC8.2..i was too smashed,cant remember who's house i was in
Yeah exactly. Too much alcohol, RC cars and no track. How many times do you recon they would have drunken races to pull the car apart and remake it before they blackout
Old 11-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1
Ha ha, that's what I thought. Too cold outside, that's why they have to put up with tiny layouts. Good on them for adding the crazy intense technical stuff.

Check out the size of these 2, they look better. Still no substitute for packed dirt and clay.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

on road, meets, jumps
Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

empty hall, gym or warehouse with old carpet....

with some wood to make jumps.....

nice
Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by prontozuk
empty hall, gym or warehouse with old carpet....

with some wood to make jumps.....

nice
hell yeah..i would love to have a go at building a carpet track for a once a year event.....would be cool

Did you get a T4 James
Old 11-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1
Yeah exactly. Too much alcohol, RC cars and no track. How many times do you recon they would have drunken races to pull the car apart and remake it before they blackout
That would be for the nerds..i reckon,the hallway is a dragstrip for 1/8s,the open front door the escape area...little kicker made from the kitchen table 2 metres before door...

Once outside,well,may as well jump the neighbours house

Game on
Old 11-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

I just got onto the thought train of taking a 1/8E where it shouldnt be.....

Like into the middle of the city looking for mad ramps at midnight

The opera house has a cool peak at the top left side....down ramp the backside of the 2nd sail......
Attached Thumbnails Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.-800px-sydney_opera_house_sailsk.jpg  
Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bugle
A belt would have to be more efficient than all those gears!

Look forward to seeing the Habib paint job
Love how they built the centre drive split,so Tamiya..so cool at the same time

Hey,i let the Habib off the leash a little as far as the flames go,he can go with what he see's....

but,i still have strict control over colour choice

Theres been some pretty mad ideas,FULL Habib Spec
Now,its sounding pretty cool
Old 11-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I actually made some enquiries earlier this year to check the viability of having an indoor off-road track and the cheapest I could find was the local church hall at $100 a night and knowing the minister (he's Jasper's soccer coach as well) we'd probably have to put up with a sermon as well. Most of the halls I tried are either full of sports equipment or you couldn't book at short notice - I was looking for an option for rain days at the time.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

C'mon Nick answer your question then we can move onto the others. Don't want this to drag out too long.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

hell yeah..i would love to have a go at building a carpet track for a once a year event.....would be cool

Did you get a T4 James
I am not sure what to get as a next RC. would not mind a PRO4... but i hardly get to race at the moment with all the camping and stuff i do with our 4WD club.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1
Isn't Steve is it?

That guy Stalin, you could nail that look. No one would ever sleep with your girlfriend again and have the balls to ever remind you.

Racing, any international races planned next year?
Ahh, just saw this question, sorry got caught up in the whole world domination gig. Well I was thinking about the IFMAR Worlds in Argentina as going by the last time a world championship was held in the Southern Hemisphere (in South Africa) I could have a good chance of a podium place.

This is because Americans are so bloody insular as illustrated by a grab I was reading in Xtreme RC yesterday where they were having a whinge that the Worlds were being held in "second rate country" and implying that the facilities would be second rate and why should they have to travel to a second rate country to race toy cars. 1) Argentina is hardly a 3rd World country, in fact it's poverty levels are probably about the same as the US (I could be wrong on that one, but not far off), 2) the main problem with the South African entries was because the US media put the fear of god into the teams so they all stayed away. That means the host club doesn't get the entry fees they need to improve the facility and so they get a second rate track. And South Africa is hardly Bangladesh, there you might have an argument.

Another thing I read that cracked me up about the Worlds in Thailand was all these Americans complaining that the food made them sick, this coming from a bunch of blokes that make me look skinny! They went in search of McDonald's because their diabetes trained palettes couldn't handle what is undoubtedly one of the world's great cuisines. It's like when I was having the most fantastic pizza of my life in Porlezza on the banks of Lake Lugarno and there was this outrageously fat American family who complained to the waiter that their pizzas were too thin and when he told them that that was the only type of pizza they did the Yanks ordered two more pizzas each; now this is one of the most expensive regions in Europe and pizza, which was more than enough for me for lunch, cost about $30 so for this family of 4 they spent about $360 on pizza! For the first time in the three weeks I had spent with her I heard my Italian host swear; I didn't realise that wanker has a direct Italian translation. Gluttony in its truest definition.

I know this story has nothing to do with RC but it is illustrative of one of the main problems I see in the industry at the moment which is this blind faith in American "know how" whether it's a misguided belief that made in USA is a positive attribute (how many Novak speedies have we seen smoke at Ryde in the past two years) or the sheep-like following of US rules by AARCMCC.

Associated is quietly being made in Asia now and yet the US media always give a very myopic review of anything that openly admits to being made in China. I actually read a review last year of a ready-to-run car (I think it was an English model) in Xtreme RC where the reviewer said it "comes with a Hobby Wing esc, whic I haven't heard of before, but it will probably do the job." Haven't heard of Hobby Wing! What bloody RC planet are these guys on! So you have a myopic view of foreign brands, you have media and bloggers scarring people away from international events because of their cultural ignorance and then on top of that the few RC magazines left in the US shamelessly plugging their advertisers and giving better reviews (on the whole) to US branded, note I didn't say US made, products. Just look at a review for any Traxxas product in a US magazine if you want an example.

This problem isn't isolated to the RC scene it is symptomatic of the American economy in general and is, I would argue, the main reason their entire system has turned to shit and they are handing over their economy to the Chinese. Just look at what is happening with the Congressional Super Committe at the moment, they can't even come to an agreement amongst themselves to save their economy, it's like two men who are drowning fighting over two life jackets. This blind faith in "the American way" has sunk their ship and now they can't save themselves because they are too busy blaming each other for running it into the iceberg. And yet at the same time boasting what great captains they are and telling everybody to continue following them. It would make a funny script if it weren't all so real.

So what does this have to do with me doing an international RC race, well while the US RC community keep boasting, ridiculing the rest of the world and ignoring what is going on around them, I can slip past Steven Bradbury style and take out the gold! Well if nobody else enters that is.

Last edited by nckmat; 11-23-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Didn't make sense
Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1
Isn't Steve is it?

That guy Stalin, you could nail that look. No one would ever sleep with your girlfriend again and have the balls to ever remind you.

Racing, any international races planned next year?
Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Juzza...just check yor JCons Hazards for cracks in the hex...

I just bought 4,and they all look cracked through the hex...may be just a mould mark,but doesnt look like it...
I checked all of those wheels and there is a mark which looks like a crack but i flexed the wheels( used and new) and they dont seemed to be cracked.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by juzza99
I checked all of those wheels and there is a mark which looks like a crack but i flexed the wheels( used and new) and they dont seemed to be cracked.

Thanks mate......I thought the mark may just have been a mould mark.
But,the claw wasnt strong enough to flex them to see

The boss of Jcons told me the Hazards were designed after the wheels of the Dukes of Hazzard..
Checked,they surely are...Like old Cheviots.....Maybe paint em silver,yor SC shell is already orange!

Cheers Justin....My SC is getting a rebuild,ready for battle with you

The Chev is making a comeback

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.