Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hay Peli i have another little project for ya.
Check out Tebo's new top brace on his FS2 from Hot Rod Hobbies
Attached Thumbnails Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.-img_6987.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Carbon rear plate Brenno...good eyes
Im guessing he needed less chassis flex at HRH because of the highgrip bluegroove......
The link i posted earlier was of a 2wd Mod final from HRH...

Could make that pretty easily,im wondering what the 2 holes are for after the bolts that join it to the motor mount......got it,its for the banana plugs to go through

Will flex more than the alloy 1 that i made for you,but wont be so strong it breaks the little lugs on the centre brace/mount....

Notice that he also went away from the carbon brace steering mod they were running,they have moved the studs back to standard spot by the looks of it....

Also,look at the CVDs he using,loook to big to be steel,and the wrong colour...im guessing maybe alloy CVDs....the bling ones from Kyosho are normally chrome or spring steel...

Look at the RB5 buggy in the background,the CVD's are steel coloured
Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Lesson from this: doesn't matter what you tell the media they will do their own thing (my quotes have been a bit mashed about), but hey half page advertising in local newspaper would have cost quite a few grand so can't complain about getting it for free.

Look for yourselves here as well: http://northern-district-times.where...electric-cars/ Good shots of Shane!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nckmat

Lesson from this: doesn't matter what you tell the media they will do their own thing (my quotes have been a bit mashed about), but hey half page advertising in local newspaper would have cost quite a few grand so can't complain about getting it for free.

Look for yourselves here as well: http://northern-district-times.where...electric-cars/ Good shots of Shane!
Hey nick, didn't we see this a week or so ago?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by w00kie
Hey nick, didn't we see this a week or so ago?
No. Different paper.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

ooh right. Well thats good.

the photos were the same as before.

is there a link with this story in it?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by w00kie
ooh right. Well thats good.

the photos were the same as before.

is there a link with this story in it?

I can see how you would think these are the same photos as before, uncanny how they are almost identical. Wow, what's the chances of that happening?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Smile

Originally Posted by nckmat

I can see how you would think these are the same photos as before, uncanny how they are almost identical. Wow, what's the chances of that happening?
No need to be a dick about it mate. They are the same as the bloody newspaper article was posted about two weeks ago.

Last edited by w00kie; 07-14-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Chill mate, it was a joke. Next time I'll remember to put the in. Regardless though, the pictures were taken on the 2nd July and published on 6th July and the paper came out on 13th July, so I don't know what photos from what newspaper article from two weeks ago you are referring to. TWT came out last week and Northern District Times came out last week.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default go away rain

the rain has started
Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default nuggets!

Hey Seano & Peli,

It only took me 8 months to find them!!! But these little Losi xxx-4 aluminium pivots are VERY hard to find these days! Ebay purchase all the way from the U.S!

Bit of oven cleaner to strip of the anodising and the old Losi should be a lot tougher
Attached Thumbnails Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.-img-20110712-00067.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Worth a read.

Check out this URL below.. Not sure how i came across it, but it has some very handy explanations of setup and how changes to setup can influence handling characteristics of the average buggy. Its an old document (brushed motor days) but worth the bookmark!

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/bug/print.htm
Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Regular

Hi all, can someone here please help me out understanding motor temps..?

Intuitively, I would have thought that the 'shorter' the gearing (smaller pinion) = higher average rpm = higher operating temps...

Or, is it the opposite of this? eg 'longer' gearing (larger pinion) = greater resistance to acceleration = more strain on motor = more heat...

Also, how would motor turn effect this? eg by going from 12.5t to 6.5t you need to shorten the gearing for the same top speed on the same track, same care etc - but would this create more heat issues because of the extra rpm?

What i'm really asking here is: if I have heat issues, would going to a lower turn motor help this or make it worse?

And, what would be the major differences you notice when driving between the two???

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrjeremyaaron
Hi all, can someone here please help me out understanding motor temps..?

Intuitively, I would have thought that the 'shorter' the gearing (smaller pinion) = higher average rpm = higher operating temps...

Or, is it the opposite of this? eg 'longer' gearing (larger pinion) = greater resistance to acceleration = more strain on motor = more heat...

Also, how would motor turn effect this? eg by going from 12.5t to 6.5t you need to shorten the gearing for the same top speed on the same track, same care etc - but would this create more heat issues because of the extra rpm?

What i'm really asking here is: if I have heat issues, would going to a lower turn motor help this or make it worse?

And, what would be the major differences you notice when driving between the two???

Thanks in advance...
The answer to your question is long and involved.. so I'll try to summarise and be succinct.

sources of heat in a motor.

* Lower turns = more current draw = heat
* binding (eg bad bearings) = more current draw = heat
* motor stalling (eg. excessively tall gearing / small spur + large pinion) = more current draw = heat
* high rpm = friction = heat

Fundamentally, tuning an electric motor is not all that different to tuning an IC engine.
You need to know the efficient operating range of the motor. Keep it within these parameters and you'll have happy days ahead of you.
So as you can see, there is a balance that you need to find. If your gear ratio is too short (small pinion/large spur) then the motor will get hot due to mechanical reasons like friction, and your speedy will get hot due to excessive switching.
But gear too tall (large pinion/small spur) and your motor will get hot because it will pull as many amps as needed to rotate the rotor.

Lower turn motors allow more current draw because of the lower resistance in the coils. Hence why they're referred to as "hot" motors, having said this, if the car is sufficiently light, eg 12th scale onroad, then not much torque is required to move the car and hence why you can use 3.5T or even 2.5T motors (because there isn't much resistance to rotation)

[This is where an electric motor differs from an IC engine. When faced with a load, an IC engine will stall/flame out if it can't overcome the resisting load. An electric engine will keep drawing current until either the resisting load is overcome or the wires melt. Or the power source dies] <-- this is also the reason why electric motors have a wider powerband.

So the long and the short is... just like in a full scale car, you have a transmission to keep the IC engine operating within it's power band, you aim to do the same with electric motors, but you have the luxury of a wider powerband.

I've simplified the concepts.. hopefully not too much... but you should get the gist.

* Going to lower turn motors will give you more overall power, but to help control amp draw, most people will gear shorter. Control amp draw and you control heat.
* The lower the turns, the more power everywhere the more experience you need to control it.

DISCLAIMER: Like with everything in life, you need to try and strike a balance. Too many turns and you can't draw enough amps to get the power.. too little turns and you have too much power. Gear too tall, your car will bog down, gear too short you'll reach max rpm to soon and you loose top speed.

hope this helps..

Last edited by littlejohn; 07-15-2011 at 05:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Whats the track like. Wet??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.