Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SH
Looking to get a 2wheeler...was looking to get a 22 but I think every 2nd other person is also getting one. So what do you people think is the way to go? I like the looky of the 201 but what are parts like?
Get a Kyosho mate. Awesome buggies
None of that AE crap, hay Peli
Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brenos
Get a Kyosho mate. Awesome buggies
None of that AE crap, hay Peli
Yeah so when he needs parts u can come and c u breno it will be quicker then getting the from a hobby shop go ae or Schumacher cougar sv pro 2011 spec
Old 02-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SH
Looking to get a 2wheeler...was looking to get a 22 but I think every 2nd other person is also getting one. So what do you people think is the way to go? I like the looky of the 201 but what are parts like?
Not sure why you wouldn't want a 22, just because lots of them might be around, looks like a good car. Also, with the potential for lots of peeps getting them, you should get great support.

Anyhoo... Brenos is right. If you wan't something a little different that will be great out of the box, get a jap car. Kyosho RB5 or Tamiya 201. Both are few and far in between, both are great cars out of the box. The plastics used by both brands are excellent and second to none. I'd go as far as to say the composites are every bit as good or better than the alloys other manufactures use. The manual steps you how to build an excellent handling car without the need to buy extra springs or anything like that to tune your car. The japs have been doing RC longer and take it more seriously than any other mob out there.
Both have fairly poor local hobby shop support, but being in this hobby, most of us are forced to buy from O/S on a regular basis anyway, so parts are only 5-10 working days away.

If you want a car that has easily accessible parts, then Jimmy is right. AE B4.1. Parts are every where, but thats because lots of people drive them. So there goes your exclusivity.
Traditionally, the B4 can be a little tail happy, but Peli seems to have his B4.1 pretty hooked up, so if you go this route, you should talk to him about setup.

The Euro cars are good to, but being european, they were made to perform well for he European tracks, which are mostly flowing turf tracks. You can get them to perform on AU tracks, but it will take a fair bit of know how, and just a tad more difficult to do than the Jap or USA cars.
None of the really fast mod guys in Sydney drive European cars, so it will be hard to find the right setup.
Local parts support for any of the the Euro 2wds is pretty poor. But again, only 5-10 working days away.

hope that helps.
LJ
Old 02-20-2011, 11:28 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks Really the thing is I'm not that keen on running a new new release buggy..parts i'm sure will be hard to come by as everyone will be sourcing them.

I'm partial to AE for reasons that it has been good to me in the past, though I've never raced 10th off road before until joining you people at Ryde

I'm really liking the 201 to be honest, but the lack of body & wing seems silly...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
The only thing missing is yor little bit of gold plastic Nick

Awesome night fella's......watched some really close racing....Fork,was it hot and sticky weather though

Big Congrats to Peter........flatout,just outdrove me in SC for his first win.........WELL DONE Pete,Darkhorse
I even flogged the living daylights out of the Subcultures Pete lent me in the final.......made me feel better trying to catch him

Had the best battle with Brent,and Panda(had a few beers with the Panda afterwards to wash down the awesomeness of the day) in 2wd Mod tonight,TRF 201 vs's Losi mutant CR T vs's AE FT B4.1........ i love racing these things

Hard Luck Award...Brent"I hate Losi" Jefferis.........on so many levels,you got reamed tonight..........3-4 times i seen you run off the stand to marshall yor OWN car

1 thing that will make you look at the Losi and smile is,you set the track record for 2wd Mod.........

Really looking forward to the next battle with Panda,22 and the Spechley with the Go Go Kyosho
AE FTW
Peter had a blinder - with some wicked consistency and few mistakes!

Had a few good tussles with yourself Peli and Brendan, despite a couple of part failures, it was good fun in the final with some good laps! The 2wd was on the mark!

I just need to work on my fitness. My dash from the drivers stand to the end of the tabletop is off the mark. I reckon i can knock a full second off my lap time if i clear the steps when marshalling my car.....c'mon Peter pick your game up man

4wd on the other hand, the poor xxx4 failed to finish a heat, and has subsequently been retired!
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Really the smart choice for me I think would be AE, seeing as though Jay has one already & I do like the product...IF I had of thought of that sooner It would have simpler...maybe it has something to do with nearly reaching 40

Thanks fella's.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SH
Really the smart choice for me I think would be AE, seeing as though Jay has one already & I do like the product...IF I had of thought of that sooner It would have simpler...maybe it has something to do with nearly reaching 40

Thanks fella's.
I know the feeling and I had given up on 2WD as being too difficult until I tried an X6, I bought one within days of trying and my driving has improved 10 fold since I got it. It's not everyones cup of tea, but for me it is a far more forgiving car than a rear mounted 2wd and many of the parts are B4 parts so there isn't a lot of new stuff to purchase. Try one out next time you are at the track, X6 drivers are keen to get others on board so it won't be hard to try one.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SH
Thanks Really the thing is I'm not that keen on running a new new release buggy..parts i'm sure will be hard to come by as everyone will be sourcing them.

I'm partial to AE for reasons that it has been good to me in the past, though I've never raced 10th off road before until joining you people at Ryde

I'm really liking the 201 to be honest, but the lack of body & wing seems silly...
I've been running the 201 pretty much every club day since it came out. The only problem i have had is a ball cup broke from trying to repeatly jump the half pipe. I had thought i striped the transmission box but it was my mistake again by using 8mm screws instead of 12mm. So parts haven't been a problem. Still if you need parts you're looking at hong kong or singapore.

It's been a fantastic car.

If you were to get one, make sure you get the imperial conversion for the front axles, you can run B4 rims all round, get the black idler gear for it and the spring kit.

I agree with John, the materials in the jap cars seem to be alot better than the euro or usa cars. I think they're all much of a muchness and it's really about setup. AE's are setup from the box and tend to require a lot less effort.

my 2 cents, If I was to be buying a new 2wd I'd be seriously considering the 22 even if every man and his dog is getting one.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 AM
SH
Tech Addict

What do the kits go for nick?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Brent J, Robert Uljan and Peter Mihalopoulos can you please drop me an email with enough details to complete this membership form: http://www.sydneyrc.com/pdf/MEMBERSH...02009%20II.pdf If you can edit the PDF with the info and email back it would be great, otherwise just drop the details into an e

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by nckmat; 07-11-2024 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SH
What do the kits go for nick?
Not sure what the kit costs here but the conversion kit is $220 at Harris RC, if you can find a cheap 2nd hand B4 this could work or there is a full kit now available but I'm not sure if Harris RC have these yet. Drop him an email and check.

http://harrisrc.com/x6sqparts.htm

Also check here: http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/index.php

You are welcome to try mine if you come up for a meet on March 5th.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=brent j;8685279]Peter had a blinder - with some wicked consistency and few mistakes!
I just need to work on my fitness. My dash from the drivers stand to the end of the tabletop is off the mark. I reckon i can knock a full second off my lap time if i clear the steps when marshalling my car.....c'mon Peter pick your game up man

The night didn't start out at be the best but as it went on it got better and your suggestion helped, thanks.
I am sorry that you had to marshal your own car but the lack of marshals didn't help. i have trouble seeing cars on the other side of the table top from where you sit in the middle lets hope next week is better.

Peter.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Well the 201 is a done deal, & local as well...Panda did not think much about the stuff you mentioned when i ordered it so hopefully the idler gear will hold on me for Sunday. I hear it's fairly similar to setup wise to a B4?? so if i get stuck I will be looking

You would not believe how hard it was trying to get my hands on a Ae...The 201 must have been calling
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SH

You would not believe how hard it was trying to get my hands on a Ae
Just have to look in the right place
Kellets should have everything for AE if you want it local
They have had when i have needed something
Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

[QUOTE=pjso;8690867]
Originally Posted by brent j
Peter had a blinder - with some wicked consistency and few mistakes!

The night didn't start out at be the best but as it went on it got better and your suggestion helped, thanks.
I am sorry that you had to marshal your own car but the lack of marshals didn't help. i have trouble seeing cars on the other side of the table top from where you sit in the middle lets hope next week is better.

Peter.

Hell no mate - no apologies required! You marshalled your a$$ off the whole afternoon! Did more than your share! Its always going to be tough when there are a few back to back races. Part of the parcel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.