Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thank you to everyone who helped out over the weekend, we couldn't have achieved what we did without you. Special thanks to Peter and Brendan who put in a mammoth effort and to Shane and Andy for getting the new loop made and laid. It also appears that Hiroshi has found a new affinity with mud, he did an excellent job on both days moving the slurry around. And also thanks to Seano and Peli for their work on the jumps on Saturday, it's great when people just turn up and get a job done.

We pretty much got everything done that we set out to achieve over the weekend, even if we did finish in the dark, but there are still a few small jobs that need to be finished this week:

1/ We need to wet broom the sweeper and the bowl before the whoops. There is a broom behind the stand and you need to give the surface a decent soaking before brooming and then it needs to be left alone to dry, preferably overnight.

2/ The AstroTurf leading up to the driver's stand needs to be flattened out and nailed/pinned down, but we need more 6" nails (if you buy them the club will reimburse you).

Otherwise it is all pretty good, at least it was when we left there last night.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Transponders?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to join in the fun this Sunday for the first time and was wondering about transponders... are they available to purchase at the track before the meet? If so, how much do they go for these days?

Cheers, Josh.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Transponders arent sold to drivers. If you dont have a personal one, then you get one given to you for the meet which you return to race control after each of your races.

If you want to buy a personal one they range from $110-130 from Ebay or AMAINHOBBIES.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ViGiLaNtE351
Transponders arent sold to drivers. If you dont have a personal one, then you get one given to you for the meet which you return to race control after each of your races.

If you want to buy a personal one they range from $110-130 from Ebay or AMAINHOBBIES.

Cheers

I think northern beaches hobbies sell them for around the $90 mark.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Cheers
No problem, thanks for getting back to me. I'm new to RC racing so i'm unsure of the finer details...

If I were to purchase a PT, do i need to get a number or something from the club first or do they come already with their own unique ID? I had a quick look at the MRT PTX10 which is a cloning PT... does this mean that they can only be used when cloning an existing ID from another transponder or can you buy them ready to go? Sorry... I'm a little confused with how it all works as you can see : ) The other option is the Mylaps RC4... I'm assuming these do have an ID# already... Any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a PTX and it works fine for me. It will already have an id number - in fact, it will probably have several. For $50 odd less, its a no brainer for me, unless I am missing something.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jimmy O
I have a PTX and it works fine for me. It will already have an id number - in fact, it will probably have several. For $50 odd less, its a no brainer for me, unless I am missing something.
Thanks for that, just spoke to the folks at northern beaches hobbies and they confirmed as much... seems a no brainer indeed!

See you at the track!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Great work to everyone that helped out with track work, Im sorry I couldnt be there.

Now I have 3 Quick Questions...

1) What Transmitter do you use?

2) Do you like it?

3) Why do you like it?

Please this isnt trying to start a flame war, I just wanted to see what is most popular at Ryde as I am looking to upgrade and am after idea's and opinions.

Ill start.

1) Spektrum DX3C

2) Its ok, was cheap and has been doing the Job.

3) It was cheap.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Great work to everyone that helped out with track work, Im sorry I couldnt be there.

2) Do you like it?

3) Why do you like it?

Please this isnt trying to start a flame war, I just wanted to see what is most popular at Ryde as I am looking to upgrade and am after idea's and opinions.

Ill start.

1) Spektrum DX3C

3) It was cheap.
Might want to ask what people don't like about their radios too. Here I'll have a go:

1) KO Vantage Esprit II

2) Yes, it's been a great radio for more than 10 years.

3) It's the same stick radio Masami used to use, it's frequency so I can use analogue servos without encountering problems, it has zero latency (i.e. better than every 2.4GHz radio on the market, and yes, I can notice 20ms), 10 model memory, more functions than I ever use, the ability to turn off all the hardware switch functions so I never knock a setting during a race.

4) What don't I like about it: it was expensive and had to be special ordered, the crystal box has to be unplugged to change the crystal and it has a very delicate plug on the end makes me nervous every time, I can't find anyone who stocks a replacement antenna (non-standard), the batteries have to be hard-wired in (forget to charge the radio and miss the race). Not all scrutineers understand why it has to be switched off.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1) What Transmitter do you use? - Flysky GT3B with customised firmware

2) Do you like it? Yes, heaps.

3) Why do you like it? Cheap ($50 delivered, $8 delivered for spare receivers). Heaps of features controlled via backlit LCD menu system. And crazy featureset expansion from a group who reprogram these - 6 channels, subtrim, channel mixing, timers, button assigning etc. It's been super reliable for almost 2 years now and controlling lots of different cars and configurations.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cloaked

2) Do you like it?

3) Why do you like it?

Ill start.

1) Spektrum DX3C

3) It was cheap.

If you follow the sheep, youll probably keep the Spectrum controller.
I still use sticks (Futaba 3GR), grown up with sticks, and can still win races with it like Daniel (Radio Active). Its what im comfortable with, and its price savvy.

The other common ones are the Futaba 4PK and the KO Propo models.

Its whats comfortable in your hand and your wallet, not just what others have or think of them. How many adjustments do you want, do you feel youll be a better driver with the most expensive, or the one the most adjustments? Remember you can buy all the best gear, but you cant buy talent. Make sure you do some research into the models you want otherwise you could be throwing money away.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Might want to ask what people don't like about their radios too.
Good point, and thanks for the response.

If you follow the sheep, youll probably keep the Spectrum controller.
I still use sticks (Futaba 3GR), grown up with sticks, and can still win races with it like Daniel (Radio Active). Its what im comfortable with, and its price savvy.

The other common ones are the Futaba 4PK and the KO Propo models.

Its whats comfortable in your hand and your wallet, not just what others have or think of them. How many adjustments do you want, do you feel youll be a better driver with the most expensive, or the one the most adjustments? Remember you can buy all the best gear, but you cant buy talent. Make sure you do some research into the models you want otherwise you could be throwing money away.

Cheers
I moved away from Spektrum when I was flying Aircraft (I had my reasons) and I went with the DX3C this time round because like I said it was cheap and had everything I need.

Personally I am an old skool JR and Sanwa fan.

I have read a few reviews and think I will probably head down the Airtronics path however Futaba is still in the back of my mind, but either way I thought I would just ask to see what people had to say.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Futaba 4pk has a great feel,
Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

well guys i just made the dumbest mistake. plugged in my battery wrongly and their went my esc. $115 burnt up and it hadn't even hit the track yet But o well we learn from our mistakes and lucklily for me i have been saving money for the past 2 years so i have like $500 left in my bank and i'm thinking about getting a new esc. what are most of you guys running? Also im sorry to start like another vote but i really need to know. Thanks
Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OMG23RC
well guys i just made the dumbest mistake. plugged in my battery wrongly and their went my esc. $115 burnt up and it hadn't even hit the track yet But o well we learn from our mistakes and lucklily for me i have been saving money for the past 2 years so i have like $500 left in my bank and i'm thinking about getting a new esc. what are most of you guys running? Also im sorry to start like another vote but i really need to know. Thanks
C'mon dude. What did I tell you before. Oh well I still do it. Did you paint the positive like I said. Just remembermremember mate. It's not the first time you will do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.