Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johno
What is the legal weight for 2wd buggy??
Good to see you back Trent.
Get your B4.1 sorted and run in stock and mod, that will soon get your skills back up to where it was before.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Really bringing out the poor state of that body Muzz (the Blue SC10), thank god I've got a new one on the way! Saturday's weather turned out absolutely perfect, and had a solid turnout of familiar faces.
Heard more than a few people commenting on the great grip levels of the track being slightly damp, but after changing out my noisy ball diff to a geared diff running 10k weight the truck felt pretty unwieldy on power at corner exit. Will have to try out somewhere between 5-7k (which is what was really the 'suggested' range) next time.

Forecast looks more promising for this weekend than it's been in a few weeks, hoping it remains that way!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crysto
Really bringing out the poor state of that body Muzz (the Blue SC10), thank god I've got a new one on the way! Saturday's weather turned out absolutely perfect, and had a solid turnout of familiar faces.
Heard more than a few people commenting on the great grip levels of the track being slightly damp, but after changing out my noisy ball diff to a geared diff running 10k weight the truck felt pretty unwieldy on power at corner exit. Will have to try out somewhere between 5-7k (which is what was really the 'suggested' range) next time.

Forecast looks more promising for this weekend than it's been in a few weeks, hoping it remains that way!
I run 3k diff oil in my sc10 and its always good when Ryde is its usual low grip surface, 5k if its grippy,
Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Was of the impression you lowered the fluid weight (or loosened a ball diff) when there was higher traction? Logic being when it's loose you'll 'diff out' too much if it's low traction (and binding is less of an issue), whereas with high traction you want it loose enough that no/less binding will occur when turning, preventing a loss of grip as it allows the wheels to spin at different speeds more easily.
There did seem to be conflicting opinions about this, so I'd love to have it clarified.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roman
Good to see you back Trent.
Get your B4.1 sorted and run in stock and mod, that will soon get your skills back up to where it was before.

Thanks Roman its great to be back cant wait for the next sunday/s racing should have eveything up anf running by then
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just do what I do with my gas cars with diff setup.. higher oils when more traction and lower oils when no grip,
Seems to work good,
I don't understand ball diffs, they have me totally confused.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Was of the impression you lowered the fluid weight (or loosened a ball diff) when there was higher traction? Logic being when it's loose you'll 'diff out' too much if it's low traction (and binding is less of an issue), whereas with high traction you want it loose enough that no/less binding will occur when turning, preventing a loss of grip as it allows the wheels to spin at different speeds more easily.
There did seem to be conflicting opinions about this, so I'd love to have it clarified.
Listen to juzza99 he knows what he is talking about as his car is always planted and is all ways at the pointy end of the grid every meet
Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juzza99
I just do what I do with my gas cars with diff setup.. higher oils when more traction and lower oils when no grip,
Seems to work good,
I don't understand ball diffs, they have me totally confused.
I got asked on the weekend a couple of times about different setups, and i always refer to myself as Cole Trickle from the movie Days of Thunder

No idea, they told me to drive, and i could
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not quite...
The more traction you have, the thicker the diff oil or tighter (ball diff) in the rear. This will give you more drive out of corners.
When traction is down, you want thinner diff oil in the rear. This will allow the car to more easily rotate around corners.

Just think F1 or V8 Supercars... their diffs are basically locked.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default I want to play!

Rain! Bugger off.... I want to play this weekend
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Doesn't look great at this stage but this type of weather can come and go in a day or so. Saying that though, June is the second wettest month in Sydney, so who knows.

But July - December are relatively dry on average, nearly half the average of the rest of the year.

Last edited by nckmat; 06-12-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

called into the track on my home this afternoon.
cleared the drain of an inch thick slab of clay which had clogged it up and there was a massive pool of water around the drain area.
as far as the surface goes it is showing the rocky layer almost every ware around the track but it still looks in good condition.
hopefully the (R word) stays away.

cheers
chris
Old 06-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Greets, Having recently moved to Sydney & recommended by a hobby shop to your club, plus not wanting to go through 1000+ posts, was wondering about SC classes, whether you guys run SC buggies as well as trucks & 1/18th SC?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grum475
Greets, Having recently moved to Sydney & recommended by a hobby shop to your club, plus not wanting to go through 1000+ posts, was wondering about SC classes, whether you guys run SC buggies as well as trucks & 1/18th SC?
We run 2wd SC trucks and 4wd SC trucks, Pro2 and Pro4, rules for these classes are on the website. www.sydneyrc.com

SC buggies can be run in Pro2.

There is no 1/18 running at the track.

Bring your cars down on Saturday after lunch and we will fit you in.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jordy-15
called into the track on my home this afternoon.
cleared the drain of an inch thick slab of clay which had clogged it up and there was a massive pool of water around the drain area.
as far as the surface goes it is showing the rocky layer almost every ware around the track but it still looks in good condition.
hopefully the (R word) stays away.

cheers
chris
Thanks for doing that Chris, I was starting to worry about the drains. The good news is that if the track is a bit rough it won't be for very long as we have a working bee planned 7th & 8th July to start getting it ready for the States (still to be confirmed btw) so we will be rolling it then as well as a few cosmetic touches. All assistance will be greatly appreciated on this weekend so put it your diaries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.