Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't get me wrong. I am more than happy to share and speak with the kids and parents about the safety and what not. But what I am more concern is that signage and proper warning is currently not present at the track. As other members has pointed out that a simple race direction signs would be a benefit and also condition of entries to the track. Not saying that this will be the end all but it will solve a lot of problems without a lot of words. Once again before everyone jump on the band wagon saying we should educate blah blah blah. Let me ask you this, What happen if this happened to you and all you get was S**t happens or get stuff and tell you to go away just because they are kids. I'm sorry, I was raised better than that and to respect others. You know what Wookie's comment was spot on +1 to his post.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My condolences cyclopx it's a pain and a shame that your car was broken. I agree with littlejohn and found it more effective to go down and have a patient word with the kids and the parents. Shouting to the other side of the track can often be misinterpreted and not appreciated as a result.

Last year my own daughter was paused in the middle of the back straight once when I was motioning and shouting to her to get off the track for her own safety and to be polite, and she was trying to figure out what I was saying but then some loser still went full pace into her shins with his buggy and didn't even bother to see whether she was okay, or apologise. I was tempted to throw the buggy over the fence because of such a poor attitude.

Anyway, yes, some arrows and signage would be good. Along the lines of:

Good track behaviour:
- drive in an anticlockwise direction
- stick to the track
- it's nice to help others flip their cars back
- indicate your thanks by waving at someone who helps you

Help keep the track in good condition:
When you arrive and when you leave....
- water the track when it is too dry and dusty
- sweep debris and loose material off the track
- try to put any displaced barriers/pipe back in place

For more information see Sydney RC Club website at:

Etc
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As I said a few weeks ago, we have asked Council for new signage and we are waiting to hear back from them, but no doubt the topic will be raised when I get a phone call from the council about this latest issue, because even when it's not a race day we are the ones who are blamed when, invariably, the parents whose kids are yelled at contact the council.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclopx
Don't get me wrong. I am more than happy to share and speak with the kids and parents about the safety and what not. But what I am more concern is that signage and proper warning is currently not present at the track. As other members has pointed out that a simple race direction signs would be a benefit and also condition of entries to the track. Not saying that this will be the end all but it will solve a lot of problems without a lot of words. Once again before everyone jump on the band wagon saying we should educate blah blah blah. Let me ask you this, What happen if this happened to you and all you get was S**t happens or get stuff and tell you to go away just because they are kids. I'm sorry, I was raised better than that and to respect others. You know what Wookie's comment was spot on +1 to his post.
Ariston,
Not sure if you are aware, but
1. There is no right and wrong way around the track - We drive in an anticlockwise direction because it was a decision that the club decided on.

2. On a non race day, a person driving in a clockwise direction is just as entitled to do so as a person driving in an anticlockwise direction.

3. The general rule of thumb is (although it's more an understanding than a rule), the person who was on there first sets the precedence. If that
person isn't driving in the direction you prefer, then you can either politely ask them to drive the other way or wait it out until they're finished.

4. On a non race day, it is NOT a RACE track... but simply a dirt track for everyone (club members AND the public) to run their toy cars on.

5. We can not put conditions on something we don't own. It is public land. It would be like painting RESERVED FOR SYDNEYRC MEMBERS on the parking bays.

Yes, I have been in your position before (and I know many others have too), but worse. I was already driving, young kid came on the the track with his "toy", started doing burnouts and generally driving in the opposite direction. I didn't catch what he was doing in time and had a pretty nasty head on. Both cars had significant damage.
I went down and checked his car first. As his father approached me, I apologised for running into his kids car, he admitted that his kid was at fault. Asked how much it would cost to fix my car, I told him not to worry about it, such is life and that I was glad it was the car I ran into and not his kid's leg.
I then suggested that it would probably be safer for this kid to be driving from the drivers stand than to be on the track as it's very difficult to see that far ahead when you're focusing on your own car at high speeds, and that the most common direction for people to drive is in an anticlockwise direction.

Moral of the story:
* By apologising first, I tempered what could have been an unpleasant exchange of words.

* When it comes to children below, about 13ish, WE ARE ALWAYS IN THE WRONG. Parents are very protective of there children.
Parents generally get very cranky when strangers yell at their kids. If you have an issue with a kid, be courteous. If that doesn't work, a gentle word with their parents will resolve it.

Last edited by littlejohn; 04-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Well said John and Nick.
For those that don't know , John and Nick are both current Ryde committee members and have previous experience dealing with Ryde council.

Having said that, I feel sorry for the damage that was incurred by you Ariston.
I too have had little odd encounters at the track on non club racing days, the best policy is to be as civil and polite as you can, communication is key.
We have had our share of complaints from the public through the council representative.

Thanks for watering and maintaining the track Ariston.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

The best thing to do on a non race day is sit back and wait for people to stop then jump on the track after all it's a public track so it dosnt matter if it's a $25 kmart Rc car or a $650 Durango every one has the same right to be on there.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Glad that everyone is well informed now thank you for all the input, now we all know that if you are put in this situation people would know what to do and how to handle ourselves. I do believe that the council should still have some form of responsibilities to the well being of patrons at the track but maybe I am mistaken and as such will refrain from saying anything more about the matter. John your too nice man. Does anything piss you off?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

..... barking dogs and red lights!! FYI...

On a better issue... we are all go for Sunday racing i take it?

Cheers
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ill be there, 2x new pairs of saddles arrived for the 4wd mod, and i wanna give the LRP esc a good testing, Now if Sean don't turn up and Vig could slow down a bit, ill take (TQ)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes I will be there with more potential new members on Sunday. Looking at extra 4 to 5 new faces. All in the 2wd stock and 4wd mods. Will be an exciting races this weekend.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclopx
John your too nice man. Does anything piss you off?
Sure does man.. lots of things do.. But the way I see it, there are two choices.

1. We don't concede, and react on what WE believe to be right. We proceed to vent our frustrations on children / people who don't know any better.
OUTCOME:
* Child and or parent gets upset.
* Some unpleasant words are exchanged
* Everybody leaves feeling angry and pi$$ed off.
* Parent complains to council
* Council reprimands the club (mostly the committee)
* If WE don't redress, council closes track
* GAME OVER

2. We do concede, hold back our frustrations and start some pleasant conversation.
OUTCOME:
* You're out of pocket for the broken parts. But if you're really honest with yourself, theres a good chance that the bits that broke may have been tweaked already from previous crashes.
* Child and or parent thinks we're the nicest bunch of blokes around.
* Child will continue to play at park and most probably marshal for the rest of your practice session and every other time they go to the track.
* Everyone leaves on a good note... well you might be bummed that you've got a broken car, but at least you're over it. You get home, hop onto AMain, and buy more than you really need and all is good again
* Parent brings child back on race day... maybe even decides to join the club
* Council sees / hears about how much the community loves us. <--- makes it easier to ask for handouts
* WIN!!!!

It's a lot like riding a motorcycle or bicycle on Sydney roads. There are plenty of times when drivers are seemingly out to kill you. But at the end of the day, if no one is hurt, then no harm no foul. No point getting all wound up about it.

PS. You're always welcome to vent on RCTech.. better here than at kids at the track :P But seriously.. sometimes it's helpful to see other perspectives.. Cya Sunday..
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ViGiLaNtE351

On a better issue... we are all go for Sunday racing i take it?

Cheers
Yes, all systems are go.
Nick will be your host for the day.

By the way , I have committed to buying a B-max2 to build on a rainy day.
Knowing me, it will sit on the shelf for a bit before I build it.
But then I will be driving Masami style.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roman
Yes, all systems are go.

Nice man, you will love it. Should come with the new hardened outdrives too. I've just finished putting everything up the middle of car. Will have to see how things are (un) balanced on the weekend.

Check here

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...thread-19.html
Old 04-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roman
Yes, all systems are go.

Come on roman what about the B-max 4 in the 4 stock. you know you want too.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you John much appreciated. It was all in the moment man and lets move on, definitely see you on Sunday.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.