Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah, mine is the Futaba 3GRFS. Been using sticks since day dot in 1980, when dad used to repair, and still does, all his clubs gear, air and surface. So it was natural to continue using them when I started back in RC. Tried the wheel controllers, but just can't get the knack that I have with sticks. This is probably the best one for cars, it's a 3channel, but you don't know it really. 1or2 flip switches extra and thats all.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have used them since mucking around with toy grade RCs in the 80s and used a real simple futaba when I started racing at St ives in the 90s. I don't know what it was but it was white. Ended up orange after a while though.

Speaking of 80s, you may have already see this, but its pretty sweet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fT9dnDwP4
Footage of the very first IFMAR worlds in 1985 when Gil Losi Jr won with his Yokomo. All 3 legs of the A-main are there. I love how they just burn around that sandy track. They look like rabbits on heat running after each other. RC has come a long way but in the end its all about a bunch of guys having a ton of fun with toy cars. This is the essence of that sentiment - at World Champ level.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roman

Steve is going back to the UK for around 2 years after being in Oz for 12.
He will be racing here. . . http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96519
That track look awesome. And huge.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I was at Blenheim Park for Josh's birthday party on Sunday and couldn't get over the number of people who use the track when we aren't using it. I counted 15 drivers on the stand at one point and there were at least 30 people who used the track over the course of the weekend. Nearly everyone of them had a SCT, of some description, or a 1/8, of some description. Good to see that people were watering the track during the afternoon.

It made me realise that the club is a minority user of the track and that although much of the degradation of the track is caused by rain a fair bit of it is caused by the general public as well. This does not mean we treat them as the enemy, on the contrary we should be encouraging them to use the track but to use it more responsibly. By that I mean running in the right direction, calling out where they have crashed, avoiding damaging the ag pipe (especially the 1/8s) and giving the track a sweep and a hose when it gets dusty. These are things we can all do by example and friendly advice to the other users. Who knows we might also gain a few more regular racers in the process.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nckmat
I was at Blenheim Park for Josh's birthday party on Sunday and couldn't get over the number of people who use the track when we aren't using it. I counted 15 drivers on the stand at one point and there were at least 30 people who used the track over the course of the weekend. Nearly everyone of them had a SCT, of some description, or a 1/8, of some description. Good to see that people were watering the track during the afternoon.

It made me realise that the club is a minority user of the track and that although much of the degradation of the track is caused by rain a fair bit of it is caused by the general public as well. This does not mean we treat them as the enemy, on the contrary we should be encouraging them to use the track but to use it more responsibly. By that I mean running in the right direction, calling out where they have crashed, avoiding damaging the ag pipe (especially the 1/8s) and giving the track a sweep and a hose when it gets dusty. These are things we can all do by example and friendly advice to the other users. Who knows we might also gain a few more regular racers in the process.
Hi, I am one of those people who come regularly on the weekends when there is no racing, partly because I don't have the time to spend to practice nor to race, but I really enjoy RC. I know that there is a group of people who were there on Sunday who have recently gotten into RC and have multiple vehicles each. Also met another guy who recently got into RC as well and is not racing.

Thankyou for not treating us as the enemy. I reckon all those people would be willing to contribute towards track maintenance and the like, and would love to know more about how to take care of things. You can see we all have fun and we all help one another out.

Perhaps a little more signage, phrased in a helpful way to encourage good habits and "where to find out more" and "how you can help" would be nice. People often don't know that sweeping and watering will help, or whether we are allowed to do things like that. Also one guy was asking about where he might get a powerpoint to charge his batteries. Who knows - maybe the non-racers can open up the powerbox on non-race days? Certainly a category in the club for non-race days would be useful and could bring more members and resources to share.

I also noticed that when the 2 E-REVOs were on the track it was noticeable how much more dust is raised. I am not against it, but it is just interesting how much more "use" such vehicles generate on the track.

On a side note, it has been disappointing at times to see some more "serious" users just plain not help out with something as simple as flipping a truck < 5 metres away from them, whereas in contrast there are lots of kids and other people willing to go out of their way to help others out.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Hi All

Hey Guys

Some have you may have seen me in the St Ives thread, I have been asking about SCT racing and just seeing where it seems to be most popular.

Looking at picking up a TA SC10RS and running it stock with different tyres, hoping to get in to racing starting in amateur and moving up.

Just wondering of SCT racing is still popular at North Ryde?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Hey Guys

Some have you may have seen me in the St Ives thread, I have been asking about SCT racing and just seeing where it seems to be most popular.

Looking at picking up a TA SC10RS and running it stock with different tyres, hoping to get in to racing starting in amateur and moving up.

Just wondering of SCT racing is still popular at North Ryde?
You have come to the right place, Ryde is the home of short course racing. We regularly get 10 plus on a Sunday meet this year. So come on down and bluster up the numbers.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by matt27
You have come to the right place, Ryde is the home of short course racing. We regularly get 10 plus on a Sunday meet this year. So come on down and bluster up the numbers.
Nice, Ill check the Schedule and try come down for a look.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Feel free to come anytime and have a practice and I reckon if you head over to the track this weekend you will find 20 odd SCTs doing laps, but most afternoons you'll find someone there practicing with a SCT of some description. We always welcome new drivers especially SCT at the moment as we keep getting 11 and 12 entries which makes it hard to set up races as there is usually only 10 in a race. If you want to get an idea of entry numbers go to our website www.sydneyrc.com and have look at the results page. While you're there you can familiarise yourself with the rules which you will find on the downloads page.

Hope to see you at the track some day.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eddomak
Hi, I am one of those people who come regularly on the weekends when there is no racing, partly because I don't have the time to spend to practice nor to race, but I really enjoy RC. I know that there is a group of people who were there on Sunday who have recently gotten into RC and have multiple vehicles each. Also met another guy who recently got into RC as well and is not racing.

Thankyou for not treating us as the enemy. I reckon all those people would be willing to contribute towards track maintenance and the like, and would love to know more about how to take care of things. You can see we all have fun and we all help one another out.

Perhaps a little more signage, phrased in a helpful way to encourage good habits and "where to find out more" and "how you can help" would be nice. People often don't know that sweeping and watering will help, or whether we are allowed to do things like that. Also one guy was asking about where he might get a powerpoint to charge his batteries. Who knows - maybe the non-racers can open up the powerbox on non-race days? Certainly a category in the club for non-race days would be useful and could bring more members and resources to share.

I also noticed that when the 2 E-REVOs were on the track it was noticeable how much more dust is raised. I am not against it, but it is just interesting how much more "use" such vehicles generate on the track.

On a side note, it has been disappointing at times to see some more "serious" users just plain not help out with something as simple as flipping a truck < 5 metres away from them, whereas in contrast there are lots of kids and other people willing to go out of their way to help others out.
All good points and the track is there to share so let's all play nicely together with our toy cars.

I have recently asked Council for some new signage and we are waiting to hear back from them. But we shouldn't need signs to tell people to use common courtesy, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

All good points and the track is there to share so let's all play nicely together with our toy cars.

I have recently asked Council for some new signage and we are waiting to hear back from them. But we shouldn't need signs to tell people to use common courtesy, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.
no Nick you're not old fashioned.
But like us all (who have been doing this for years) we forget how much we've learnt over the years ( or how little we knew when we started),
But how do you put sinage up saying the broom is behind the stand without it going missing, for clarity I'm not suggesting the people who use the track would nick it but more so the youts who'll give it to their Dad as a birthday preseant,
And before you ask
NO
it wasn't me with my erevo
Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Actually I was referring more to flipping peoples cars and courteous driving, but yes there is a broom behind the stand, well there was.

Quite obviously it wasn't your e revo, these weren't broken.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Feel free to come anytime and have a practice and I reckon if you head over to the track this weekend you will find 20 odd SCTs doing laps, but most afternoons you'll find someone there practicing with a SCT of some description. We always welcome new drivers especially SCT at the moment as we keep getting 11 and 12 entries which makes it hard to set up races as there is usually only 10 in a race. If you want to get an idea of entry numbers go to our website www.sydneyrc.com and have look at the results page. While you're there you can familiarise yourself with the rules which you will find on the downloads page.

Hope to see you at the track some day.

Thanks mate, Was actually having a read of the Amended SCT rules last night and was hoping I might be able to get something clarified.

Is 4WD or 2WD more popular?

Now some questions on Classes...

2.0: Box Stock (RTR) (Special Event)
  • The Box Stock Event is only a Special Event? IE its only run on special occasions?
  • The Associated SC10RS Truck I ordered comes with a 3300kv motor stock which I think is 13.5 turn, now if Im correct according to the general rules for the club that is to much for the Stock Form races? So my question is, is the motor going to be Ok will I have to change it for the RTR event or should I just run in the Pro 2.

3.0: Pro 2
  • I take it this is one of the more popular classes?
  • What sort of Chassis Mods are allowed? The reason I ask is, I ordered some parts to stiffen up the front end. In particular the RPM Front Bumper Assembly, The TA FT Hinge Pin Brace, The TA FT Titanium Turnbuckle set and the RPM Long Shank Rod Ends. Would these be allowed or Bump it into the 5.0: Pro 2 Modified (Special Event) class?
  • Any Wheel/Tyres combo goes?

Sorry for all the questions dont want to build it up with all the mods only to find I cant run a certain class and have to take it all apart.

Cheers
Will
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi Will,
The more questions the better, the Ryde club consensus is that the club that communicates well is better for it.

Now onto your questions...

* 2wd is more popular, around 2:1 at the moment, sometimes 3:1 .

* yes, box stock is only run on special occasions, and even then only if there are enough numbers.

* the 3300kv RTR motor is legal to run in the pro2 class AND box stock.

* yes, pro2 is definitely one of the popular classes , and pretty much single handedly responsible for almost doubling our current membership numbers !

* those mods are fine, no worries about that, a lot of guys have factory team spec trucks, and RPM mods are popular too.

* any wheel and tyre combo as long as It's for SCT, no 1/8 scale buggy tyres and wheels though.

Thanks for the questions Will , and we look forward to seeing you at the race track.

Roman
Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

let's all play nicely together with our toy cars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.