Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread. >

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Like Tree54Likes

Ryde it like you stole it: the Ryde Drivers thread.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I too have A LOT of LiPos, from a lot of manufacturers and my garage floor is now littered with puffed or non-responsive LiPos, all of them high priced brand name batteries that would normally have been used once or twice a fortnight and they do include some Venoms and IPs, SMCs (that had already puffed on John but worked well in the kids bashers for 20 or so cycles), a Thunder Power and some Yun Tongs that were left untouched for about a year.

But I have to say that none of them has puffed or stopped working for no reason - one was left in the sun accidentally, a lot of them were drained down to 1 or 2v per cell because the kids put them in their brushed bashers and let them run flat, and one 1000mAh 2S (the only Hobby King one) is puffed because one of the kids plugged it into another battery, which is possible with Mini-Deans plugs, interestingly the other battery is fine. But only one out of about 8 or 9 was for no reason at all.

The batteries I have had for over two years and are still going strong are my Venom and IP 4200 saddle packs and all of my 18 Hobby King batteries that range from 800mAh plane batteries to 5000mAh 40C batteries that I use in the boats. The interesting thing with the Hobby Kings is that they are used far more than the others, but they are all used with ESC's set to 3.2v cut-off and they are ALWAYS balance charged. I can't say the same for the race packs because there isn't always the time to balance charge them, but most of the time they are.

The main problem I have found with the Venom and IP packs is that they have a PCB at the front of them and the constant banging in the buggies makes them crack. Whereas the saddle packs don't have that problem as they don't need a PCB to balance.

My point, rather long-windedly, is that if you look after your batteries they should last for years but occassionally you get a pack (in my case an IP pack) that was just dodgey from the start. And, like any manufactured item, there are times when the process goes wrong and a batch goes out that isn't up to scratch, it happens to all manufacturers from Mercedes Benz to Apple to McDonads. This doesn't mean that all their products are rubbish but that shit happens.

However, the argument about wether or not some brands deliver better power is a completely different one and one that I'm going to leave well alone.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Got my hands on a LRP Sphere Competition ESC, picked it up from a LHS in Rydalmere

Must say, straight out of the box its an improvement over the hobbywing i was running, matched it with a LRP x12 17.5 motor and a nice sensor cable, easy to setup, excellent punch and excellent brakes
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nckmat
Did an Ant double post!

BTW, where is ANT!
On the road atm.. somewhere Tehran?
Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syndicate
Got my hands on a LRP Sphere Competition ESC, picked it up from a LHS in Rydalmere

Must say, straight out of the box its an improvement over the hobbywing i was running, matched it with a LRP x12 17.5 motor and a nice sensor cable, easy to setup, excellent punch and excellent brakes
Hope you didn't buy it to use in Stock, it isn't on the list as there is no "no timing" indicator. They are however excellent speedies and almost bulletproof. Better than the Hobbywing speedies? Probably not; I run both the Justock and the Sphere; Justock is an excellent Stock esc just as the Sphere is an excellent mod speedie; I am yet to get either of them hot and they both have very smooth throttle, which is what you are after in the end.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Interesting reading on the battery front. In close to 4 years had 5 batteries puff, 3 SMC's and 2 IP batts. The SMC's I have since sold off after being replaced but the IPs stiff have a puffing issue. Currently using Fantom batts in both on and off road and the take a hell of a thrashing. Stoopidly left them charged in a car on a 30d day and no issues when I got too them in the arvo.

Yeah where is Ant?

Also is there a way of joining the club online? Need to sort out my nationals entry.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

what time does a saturday arvo meeting roughly finish?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

looks like we'l have to wait til next meet guys, i cant find anywhere in sydney that sells the Nexx10 parts we need for my sons car, so we'l just order them online and hopefully make it next fortnight
Old 02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jay moon
Around 8pm if we have average numbers, a little later if there are many entries.

Also we do not have a BBQ on Saturday's as it takes up too much time, so have a big lunch beforehand.
We do sell drinks, chocolate bars and chips at the canteen though if you are desperate.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by bungchow
looks like we'l have to wait til next meet guys, i cant find anywhere in sydney that sells the Nexx10 parts we need for my sons car, so we'l just order them online and hopefully make it next fortnight
That's a shame.
See you next meeting then.
It will be good to have more Pro4 numbers every week, there are quite a few with Pro4 trucks now, myself included.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jay moon
edited

Last edited by daverobbo5; 02-16-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: whoops didn't see this one already answered
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by barts71m
Interesting reading on the battery front. In close to 4 years had 5 batteries puff, 3 SMC's and 2 IP batts. The SMC's I have since sold off after being replaced but the IPs stiff have a puffing issue. Currently using Fantom batts in both on and off road and the take a hell of a thrashing. Stoopidly left them charged in a car on a 30d day and no issues when I got too them in the arvo.

Yeah where is Ant?

Also is there a way of joining the club online? Need to sort out my nationals entry.
You can do a direct deposit and e-mail myself or Nick afterwards with your details as per the online membership form.
[email protected]
[email protected]

This is what all previous members received recently. . .

Just a reminder that membership fees are due now for 2012, so if you want to be in the points score, be eligible to enter major meets, have voting rights within the club and pay members rates for racing then you need to have your fees paid by 12th February.
Fees are $30 for individuals and $60 for families (1 adult and all children under 16).
You can either pay your fees at race control or do direct deposit to the
bank account:

BSB: 032 267
ACC: 249 995

However, if you do direct deposit please make sure you email to let us know you have paid.
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roman
That's a shame.
See you next meeting then.
It will be good to have more Pro4 numbers every week, there are quite a few with Pro4 trucks now, myself included.
What Pro4 do you have? Has anyone run the SC10 4x4. It looks a bit light compared to the Ofna/Hong Nor.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nckmat
Hope you didn't buy it to use in Stock, it isn't on the list as there is no "no timing" indicator. They are however excellent speedies and almost bulletproof. Better than the Hobbywing speedies? Probably not; I run both the Justock and the Sphere; Justock is an excellent Stock esc just as the Sphere is an excellent mod speedie; I am yet to get either of them hot and they both have very smooth throttle, which is what you are after in the end.
Im guessing we are to follow this list for ESCs ROAR legal?

http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737

Cheers
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Cheers Roman...Nick sorted me out.

Anyone have a suggested FDR for 4WD stock? Or should or work on the same numbers as 2wd stock.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Roman
Around 8pm if we have average numbers, a little later if there are many entries.
sweet, whats the format? and will i get through the meet on 2 batts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.