Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009 >

Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009

Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009

The Reedy Race of Champions (EP off road) is being held at Yatabe Arena in Japan for the first time in many years. It was organised with short notice but there are some big names- Maifield, Cavilieri, Hayato, Jorn Neuman, Thielke etc.

For once my business travel has coincided with a race meeting so I am here representing oz in the open class

Day 1 today was practice. Updates:
- it was snowing this morning. Love racing indoors!
- hayato is stupid fast. He is running the x6 and the hpi 10b in 4w.
- the track required slicks today. Welcome to the fun of dremelling brand new tyres!
- track looks easy but jumps are very challenging ESP in 2wd

I'll post pics tomorrow.

The race is being covered on liverc. It will be held again this time next year so book it in your calendars and race at one of r/c's most historic venues!

L8r

Ray
Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
The Reedy Race of Champions (EP off road) is being held at Yatabe Arena in Japan for the first time in many years. It was organised with short notice but there are some big names- Maifield, Cavilieri, Hayato, Jorn Neuman, Thielke etc.

For once my business travel has coincided with a race meeting so I am here representing oz in the open class

Day 1 today was practice. Updates:
- it was snowing this morning. Love racing indoors!
- hayato is stupid fast. He is running the x6 and the hpi 10b in 4w.
- the track required slicks today. Welcome to the fun of dremelling brand new tyres!
- track looks easy but jumps are very challenging ESP in 2wd

I'll post pics tomorrow.

The race is being covered on liverc. It will be held again this time next year so book it in your calendars and race at one of r/c's most historic venues!

L8r

Ray
Super jealous Ray! Best of luck with it. Looking forward to see some pics and hearing some stories
Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Default Update from 2wd day...

Today was 2wd, tomorrow is 4wd. For those of you not familiar with the format, the invitational class (2 full heats) go head to head with the drivers and grid positions swapped each round, and your points from each race are totalled. The Open class had 2 rounds of qualifying and 2 rounds of finals (lots of waiting around!!).

In the Invite class, there was some major controversy when the officials announced this morning that Lipos were not legal. The US AE team had done all of their practice on Lipos and were pretty upset to be informed so late. They ran Nimh in the first round and were lapped. They cracked it and put Lips back in and cavilieri went on to win 3 out of 5 heats.

The quickest by far was Naoto Matsuukura (12th scale IFMAR WC, 4wd IFMAR A finalist in 07). He was just ballistic, and when in the lead untouchable, ut he took too many people out when coming through the pack and got stop-go penalties in most races. Hayato was quick in the morning (moist track, high grip) but as the track dried out and the grip went down his X6 lost its balance. Cavilieri was awesome later in the day when the track dried out. The Kyoshos were really fast and Shin Adachi and another driver (cant remember his name) won a couple of heats. Maifield had a shocker.

In the Open class, I was stoked to make the A (qualified 7th out of 83) given my lack of experience on the surface. Slicks worked in practice but by the first qualifier you needed worn pins. My car was on ice on slicks in Q1. Myself and another US guy shared the same pair of tyres throughout the rest of the day to get some wear into them. I drove OK but in the finals had a bad run (10th at the end of the first lap in both finals). These guys just drive as though no one else is on the track and it was a bit frustrating! I think I ended up 7th or 8th overall with a 5th (almost 4th) and a DNF (mid air collision over the loooong tabletop - see in the photo - you can just clear it).

A young Kyosho driver won the Open class with times that would have easily placed him up there in the Invite class. He was running tyres that had about 20 runs on them. These tracks are so different to anything we have back home!

Ill post some more pics tomorrow after 4wd. For now, sleep!

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-my-cars-slicks.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-reedy-yatabe-09015_small.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-tyre-before.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-tyre-after.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-yatabe-pits.jpg  

Old 02-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sounds like you are really doing well Ray with limited running on tracks like that, keep up the great work and keep flying the flag mate,

Cheers
James Ainslie
Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

SLICKS now that is a challenge, requires a completely different approach, sounds like your doing well mate!

Yeah the on track traffic sounds like a bummer, overseas at that level unfortunately its hack or be hacked, they will wipe you out without any remorse at all and let the race referees decide the out come. Unfortunately if your mid pack, it never really gets addressed from my experience...
Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Default 4wd Day

Im back at the hotel now after an awesome weekend at Yatabe. To be honest I drove like a tool today in qualifying and missed the A by a second or so but made amends by winning the B in a time that would have put me 3rd or 4th in the A. Too late!!!

The invitational class was awesome to watch. Cavilieri ended up winning by being smart and not rushing the races. Maifild was fast as today but had shocking luck. He won the first race, then in the second had an epic battle with Matsuukura, came out on top and had an electronic shutdown literally 30cm from the line. Next race he was leading, had a bad landing from the tabeltop and ripped off an arm. Next race another epic battle with Matsukuura and then had a motor loosen off at 4:30. Cavilieri won all his races except for one where he also ripped the front end off on landing from the tabletop. Shin Adachi drove really well in his Kyosho and matsuukura was crazy fast when on his wheels. Hayato was a bit off the pace with his Cyber 10 today.

In the end , Cavilieri was first, Matsuukura second and Adachi third, Hayato fourth. There was a banquet dinner and trophy presentation tonight replete with trophy girl and it was all good.

I can highly recommend this event when they hold it in 2010! The facility and track are awesome and I used 2pr of tyres for the whole weekend!! I definitely learnt how slow I am compared to the good guys though... I suck in the jumps. Sucking down some Asahi Super Drys with a few guys I met here so its all good

Ill post some more pics in the next few days. On a train at 7am tomorrow to travel to nagoya to work again....

L8r

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-b-final-spirit.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-b-final-winner.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-top-10-invitational.jpg  

Last edited by ray_munday; 03-02-2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Great work Ray... Can you bring the trophy girl home??
Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (96%+)

Well Done Ray awsome effort mate.
cheers
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by too twisted View Post
Great work Ray... Can you bring the trophy girl home??
Not sure my wife would be too happy... but yeah, she was smokin hot

Some pics from the race:
http://insidety.exblog.jp/

Also see thread:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...iverc-com.html

Some video of hayato on the track a few weeks back - note the length of the table top and the big double jump out of the hairpin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5jtsL0cFA

Lots more stories to tell when I get back... back to work today with a 7am train ride to nagoya and a busy week (or maybe two) ahead of me here in Japan. if I have to stay another week (which is looking likely) Ill probably head back to Yatabe for some more practice

L8r

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-hayato-x6.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-shin-adachi-pit.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-ryan-c-2wd.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-naoto-cars.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What an awesome thread.

That track looks insane, like a sculpture. Much cooler than the american indoor tracks that are often seen online.

The footage of hayato is so slick. Makes me want to master modified.

Thanks for posting this. It is such a bonus when there is inspiring big picture stuff on this forum.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (96%+)

Hey Ray,
You dont happen to have any shots of naotos bmax without the body ?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scottk View Post
Hey Ray,
You dont happen to have any shots of naotos bmax without the body ?
No sorry mate. I did have a close look at it though - anything in particular you were interested in? His B4 was basically standard setup aside from front upper links in the outer hole on the tower and the hub. 2 washers front and rear.

Originally Posted by geerno View Post
What an awesome thread.

That track looks insane, like a sculpture. Much cooler than the american indoor tracks that are often seen online.

The footage of hayato is so slick. Makes me want to master modified.

Thanks for posting this. It is such a bonus when there is inspiring big picture stuff on this forum.
Glad you are enjoying it! Yatabe has been long famous for its challenging layouts and monster jumps. There are people that practically live there (Masami used to, now Naoto). There is a huge indoor onroad track and drift track as well as a hobby store. Its no wonder Japan currently holds many of the world titles (2w mod, 12th scale, 8th scale off road and very close to TC...) when you see the depth of the field. The winner of the 2w open class is 12 years old!!!
It would be so good if a facility like this was available in Australia... when I win lotto I promise I will build it!! hehe!
Old 03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Tech Elite

Some more pics...

Trophies were huge in the open class. Winners of all mains down to the I main got a trophy as well. The TQ prize was a bmx bike!

There were ~20 live timing screens throughout the pits. Way cool. Also note the machines where you 'log in' to practice. Practice days are 3000Y (about $50 now) and you get a swipe card. Each time you go to practice, you swipe the card, press the track you will be on, which frequency (or 2.4G) you are using (it shows which are free and which are used). It gives you a 15 minute slot after which time you have to swipe back out. It allows the three tracks to run simultaneously and limits the number of drivers on each track.

You can get a feel for the elevation change in the 'hairpin' photo.

L8r

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-live-timing-screens.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-open-class-trophies.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-2wd-concourse.jpg   Reedy Race of Champions Off Road Yatabe 2009-hairpin.jpg  
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah - forgot to mention about teh quality of car prep and the paint jobs. It was awesome - I think mine was the worst presented car of the meeting... some of the paint jobs were really cool and looked great on the track.

The Kyoshos were very strong. Id say 75% of the field were using their cars in 2wd and I think I was one of only 2 or 3 B4s in the A main. Shin Adachi won a couple of heats with his in the invite class and his 4wd also looked dialled. The Kyoshos were also very popular in 4wd. It was a pity Tebo couldnt make the race but they had some very fast drivers in Japan....

Ray
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Loving the Travel log, mate.

I reckon it's kinda cool that your car went as is. The RC version of the Aussie Larrakin (even if you are the gentelmen racer back home) with one slightly secondhand, slightly melted battlestar (no offence meant to your car's presentation).

I think an event like this needs such an influence, and that's my considered opinion from the "I" main .

Nice work indeed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service