Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Low Voltage Cut-off

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Lipo Low Voltage Cut-off

Hi,

I just got my first brushless system (Hobbywing 35A ESC & 3000kV Motor) and 3200mah 20C Lipo pack. The ESC come by default with no LVC protection but can be set from 2.6V to 3.4V /cell. I'm thinking of setting it to 3V /cell, as I dont want to kill the Lipo, is this to low? is most of the capacity gone already @ 3V? Or under high load will the voltage drop cause the esc to cut out if I set it to 3V?

What do other with the same combo set the LVC at?

Regards

Ric

Last edited by Ricardo40; 03-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default lipo cutoff

Lipos die if lowered to below 6v I would recommend setting the cutoff higher say around 6.8v.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I set mine to 3.2 per cell - had it cut off & on charge the correct amount of Mah was put back in so I figured its about right, thats for a 25c 3800 IP lipo. so thats 6.4v in total.

But I guess it depends on the esc as to what options you have
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Lipos die if lowered to below 6v I would recommend setting the cutoff higher say around 6.8v.
Thanks, I'll set it to 3.4V /cell and see if I get any problems with voltage drop under load.

Ric
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
5.4v is absolute cut off, 6v is just to make shore that the cheap ones are ok

Dad took his down to 5.6v touched it to a car battery and it is fine
Old 02-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drifting101

He did what?
And this worked?
Could you go into more detail?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Comments from the Super Coach...
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MattWebb
He did what?
And this worked?
Could you go into more detail?
I have accidentally dropped a lipo to 5.9 volts, which meant my charger wouldn't charge it, so I put it on charge on nicd mode at 1 amp for 5 seconds, and that was enough to bump it over 6 volts so it could charge normally in lipo mode. Obviously I DONT RECOMMEND IT THOUGH

Touching it on a car battery is absolutely nuts!!! Does'nt he have any lipo knowledge???
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I dropped a lipo to 3.3 volts (yes 2s). Put it on the lowest nicad charging current for 5 seconds charge. Did this about 30-40 times as the charger cut out 5 seconds into the charge saying the battery had an error. Then finally exhaustively reached over 6 volts and was able to charge normally. Damm gtb wasnt set for lipo cut off and I was driving around waiting for it to cutt out. Lipos works fine now, but wont be doing that again.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Number09
I have accidentally dropped a lipo to 5.9 volts, which meant my charger wouldn't charge it, so I put it on charge on nicd mode at 1 amp for 5 seconds, and that was enough to bump it over 6 volts so it could charge normally in lipo mode. Obviously I DONT RECOMMEND IT THOUGH

Touching it on a car battery is absolutely nuts!!! Does'nt he have any lipo knowledge???
Yes I do, should of explained it more it was basically just a spark. I learned this method from some one who assembles them and owns a company that makes them
Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

By touching to a car battery I guess you mean "bumping" up the voltage. I guess if you know what you are doing but I would recommend it. Other wise it will be the 1st thing someone does when their battery won't charge!

Under AARCMCC rules you are required to have a operating lipo cutout of no less than 3.0v per cell (when using a lipo pack). The lower the power you use the higher you should run this as it helps to protect the weaker cells in you pack. I assume by 300k you meant the mini motor (3000kv) which can easily be used at 3.4v per cell. The voltage drop on lipo is rapid at the end of their charge so you only need a low setting if you are loading up the battery (10.5-2.5t motors). Note that no two batteries are the same so one of your two cells in any pack will run out of power before the other.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Rookie

I had once a lipo that had cut out with the lipo safe set to 6 volts.When i went to re charge the battery,one cell had 2.5volts and the other had 3.5 volts !!!!
I have also had to use the nicad for 5 seconds,10 times in a row trick to get a cell up to the voltage where the charger would charge it on lipo settings.
Lately i have been running NO lipo cutoff,just run `till it stops.If you pull the battery out of the car and try to charge it straight away it won`t charge.But if you wait a few hours or`till the next day the lipo will be back up to 3.5V per cell and it will charge no worries .I know this is definately not recommended but SO FAR no problems.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Rookie

I had once a lipo that had cut out with the lipo safe set to 6 volts.When i went to re charge the battery,one cell had 2.5volts and the other had 3.5 volts !!!!
I have also had to use the nicad for 5 seconds,10 times in a row trick to get a cell up to the voltage where the charger would charge it on lipo settings.
Lately i have been running NO lipo cutoff,just run `till it stops.If you pull the battery out of the car and try to charge it straight away it won`t charge.But if you wait a few hours or`till the next day the lipo will be back up to 3.5V per cell and it will charge no worries .I know this is definitely not recommended but SO FAR no problems.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo Low Voltage Cut-off

Hi, I got for Xmas a HPI Savage flux xs car and a few 2s Lipo. Do you know if this car have a low voltage cut off or I have to install one on it? What would you recommand?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Are you serious my advice to anyone is NEVER do that to do that is totally stupid and if your dad does that i hope he has a good life insurance and car insurance policy that is the most ridiculous and dangerous statement i have heard in a long time that a fast way to give the hobby a bad name

to anyone starting out DO NOT EVER TOUCH A LIPO TO A CAR BATTERY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.