Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Indoor Tracks - Melbourne - Sideways

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default New Indoor Tracks - Melbourne - Sideways

Hi All - First post here and expecting to be many more.

This post is just a heads up announcment regarding our new indoor RC car and slot car venue in Vic - Port Melbourne. Opening April this year. Our launch will be at the Australian formula 1 GP in March and we will be running a few demo freebie slash tracks right bank in the middle of everything.

A little bit of back ground. Sideways will provide a broad range of RC and slot car activities to a fairly broad market - of which enthusiasts (such as members of this forum) will be part of. The centre is heavily orientated at catering for the complete non enthusiast. Our expertise is in entertainment operations and we intend on bringing (or certainly trying to bring) many new patrons into the market that otherwise may never have gotten involved. Creating a much bigger pie rather than taking part of what is already there.

General public patrons will be able to come down, 7 days a week, day and night, and give the cars a run out on the various tracks. There will be various packages (like go karting packages), from simple arrive and drive races to more structured events and group activities. From individuals, families, social and sporting groups through to corporate team building and fun days. There will be something for everyone of all ages. At certain times the tracks can be booked for private functions.

The venue will be running all types of tracks - offroad, onroad / drift and crawl as well as slot car setups. Initially we will also start with a fairly basic hobby retail presence primarily focusing around our main rental equipment. The offroad track will run traxxas slash, the onroad / drift will run Tamiya TT 01 series and the Crawl will more than likely run traxxas summit. At this stage the slot cars will be SCX digital. So retail supplies of these items will be available.

There will be enthusiast club type activities for the various types of racing with regular weekly events for each. Memberships will start at less than $100 pa with an attendance fee of around $10 to $15 for each visit. There may also be more expensive upfront membership options that offer reduced or no recurring track fees on each visit.

Probably one of the most important things worth mentioning at this stage is that our venue is intended to be fun and friendly - catering for complete novices. It will not be run like a traditional non profit club (with committees etc) - we are a business. Dads (and mums, brothers etc) can bring their kids and enthusiasts / non enthusiasts can bring their mates and have a bash as often as they like without the need for joining a traditional style club and taking on a greater commitment. (Thats not a criticism of current clubs but rather a slightly differnent alternative). For example you don't need any of your own equipment to use our venue. Rock up and race a Slash offroad anytime you like (or Tamiya TT's). We will have full timing systems, race management software and plasma displays. The onroad will be either carpet or foam rubber. The offroad is proper track clay. Electric only at this stage.

PS - feel free to post any questions here and we will answer as best as possible.

PPS - we have absolutely no affiliation or relationship whatsoever with the hobby discounters that were running pre xmas sales next to our venue. (We are aware that some people experienced problems with them). Worth noting.

Cheers
James
Old 02-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sounds interesting.

I know you mentioned it briefly in your post, however can we expect to see proper "Club style" racing. As in the usual 540/Pro/Stock/Super/Mod?

Ed
Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Yes we expect that to evolve as membership interest is assessed and preferences are determined.

The simple racing to begin with will really encourage people to get involved. Stock Slash races Tamiya TT and F103 races should be very popular.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Good to see someone giving this a go. Been hearing a whole heap of rumours about new tracks for ages, I really hope this does get off the ground as rc needs to be more mainstream to grow the sport. I also hope that us racers arent priced out of this. $10-$15 seems fair, most club meets are around the $6 area but i would be prepared to pay that premium for a quality indoor venue.

Are you guys doing the demo @ the gp or just at the same time as the gp?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Good to see someone giving this a go. Been hearing a whole heap of rumours about new tracks for ages, I really hope this does get off the ground as rc needs to be more mainstream to grow the sport. I also hope that us racers arent priced out of this. $10-$15 seems fair, most club meets are around the $6 area but i would be prepared to pay that premium for a quality indoor venue.

Are you guys doing the demo @ the gp or just at the same time as the gp?
Demo promo tracks are actually at the F1 GP - inside the track during the event (for the four days). We have two offroad tracks (one free and one paid), a crawl area and are looking at making some flooring for a drift track. We also have a large expo hall site complete with an SCX digital slot track (3 x 4 metres).

We realise that Victorian enthusiasts are use to paying lower fees in general but realistically they are at non profit clubs, outdoors and they have none of our facilities, infrastructure or trading hours. Not really an apples and apples comparison and we understand that its not for everyone. Can't run an indoor venue of our size based on non profit club pricing (we have 2000 sm - which is half an acre all indoors).
Old 02-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds excellent, hey if you would like some of us club guys to come and do a few demo races/ help marshalling etc just let me know and I will spread the word.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

For sure - we planned on maybe getting some demo drivers along so that may work well. There are probably some free 4 day staff passes for those that do get involved. (We ran a paintball arena display at the GP in 2007 and got 40 free four day staff / vendor passes).
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You mention that you expect to hold weekly club-style meetings. What night were you thinking of holding them?

Cheers

Shane
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

Members session times / races and practice have not been decided as yet. They will probably be influenced by a number of things. Mainly

1. The level of interest in members sessions for each different type of racing / driving. There may end up being multiple members session each week for each style (and we may run some tracks on different nights to accomodate everyone).

2. Any clash with existing race sessions at other Melbourne venues. We can probably work around race nights at other clubs to a cetain extent.

3. Preferred nights for general public (non member) sessions. We need to be able accomodate functions and events at certain times.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SidewaysOz
For sure - we planned on maybe getting some demo drivers along so that may work well. There are probably some free 4 day staff passes for those that do get involved. (We ran a paintball arena display at the GP in 2007 and got 40 free four day staff / vendor passes).
Yeah well count me in, let me know how many guys you want and I will see what I can do
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Great. Maybe post your contact details through our website form on the contact page and we can log it and get in touch.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Just in the process of making a decision for the surface for the "on road" track area. Carpet or proper asphalt? Both seem to have pros and cons see it seems a tough choice.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

VOTE 1 for Asphalt.

Though a full size carpet track would be interesting, you can't go wrong with classic Asphalt. Im sure you will get varying opinions, but count me in for Asphalt.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

How about some asphalt 1/8th motor bike racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3dwnRkhv6c
Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Don't suppose anyone here in Melb can fly the small electric RC choppers (like teh mid size $350 ones)? Looking at maybe having a few small displays at the GP?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.