Tamiya Truck Racing Australia >

Tamiya Truck Racing Australia

Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya Truck Racing Australia

Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Truck Racing Australia

I just wanted to start a unified place for racers locally to talk about the Tamiya Euro Truck racing platform that is gaining popularity locally.
I have searched around and cant find a thread on this, let me know if there is an existing thread and we can combine there.

I have been talking to alot of local guys and there is alot of excitement about the platform and what racing will entail.
There is some confusion though about rules and regulations, it seems to differ from club to club.

As far as I know, basic TCS (Tamiya Championship Series) rules state stock kit with the only upgrade being bearings.

Post in here what your clubs are doing so we know what works and what doesnt.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Boronia allows a couple of option parts:

Ball bearings
#54026 Aluminium prop shaft and joint set
#53666 Metal motor mount
#53620 Aluminium prop shaft
#54058 Aluminium steering set (only the aluminium parts, the adjustable ball cups aren't legal)
#50357 and #53665 for 58T spur, 22T pinion

Only NiMH batteries are allowed

As far as I'm aware, this is the only club that runs it regularly in VIC
Old 01-12-2018, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks,
I am not sure why NIMH packs are the only option at your club, TCS Rules allow Lipo packs. That seems very odd considering the kit includes a good ESC with Lipo cutoff and stick pack Lipos are cheap and alot more consistent than NIMH packs.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

They race it here during Big Rigs meetings which are the first Sat/Sunday of the month at West Coast, I think there are a half dozen or so of them, would like to see them at a regular club race meet think they'd be a good fun class, but so far the cross over appeal hasn't really been there for whatever reason.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kinga
Thanks,
I am not sure why NIMH packs are the only option at your club, TCS Rules allow Lipo packs. That seems very odd considering the kit includes a good ESC with Lipo cutoff and stick pack Lipos are cheap and alot more consistent than NIMH packs.
The ESC does not have LiPo cutoff. It has LiFe cutoff, which is an inappropriate voltage to use for LiPo cutoff.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kinga
I just wanted to start a unified place for racers locally to talk about the Tamiya Euro Truck racing platform that is gaining popularity locally.
I have searched around and cant find a thread on this, let me know if there is an existing thread and we can combine there.

I have been talking to alot of local guys and there is alot of excitement about the platform and what racing will entail.
There is some confusion though about rules and regulations, it seems to differ from club to club.

As far as I know, basic TCS (Tamiya Championship Series) rules state stock kit with the only upgrade being bearings.

Post in here what your clubs are doing so we know what works and what doesnt.

I race mine complete bog stock out of the box. Except Bearings
Old 01-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

LiFe Cutoff seems odd, just something to be mindful of rather than a reason to run NiMH. I cant remeber the last time I hit low voltage in a race or practice.

I may put a low voltage buzzer on the balance port but it is not something i would run out and buy a NiMH pack for , the stick Lipos are pretty cheap.

I found the US TCS Champoinship rules, they use specific Lipos but I dont think we will be that strict here.
Some of the other rules are questionable for the local tracks like the rule about all body parts being used, I can see those mirrors popping off quick.

This is an extract from one of the US threads:

1. Legal kits: Item 58632 RC Team Hahn Racing MAN TGS (TT-01 type E chassis) & Item 58642 RC Team Reinert Racing MAN TGS (TT-01 type E chassis)
2. The kit must be built exactly per the instruction manual.
3. The ONLY Hop-Op Option permitted is Ball Bearings.
4. Must use stock pinion and spur gear.
5. The kit Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC and kit supplied motor (item 54358 RS-540 Torque-
Tuned Motor) must be used. Battery connector may be changed to DEANS. Motor
Bullet connectors may not be removed.
6. All body parts must be used.
7. Body may be painted in any scheme.
8. Must use kit tires and wheels. Kit tires may be glued onto wheel.
9. Any grease or lube may be used to lubricate gears or moving parts.
10. Batteries: Any Reedy Wolf-Pack or Peak Racing Powermax round-case LiPo battery
may be used for this class.

I don't think there's anything about weights. Under the Chassis rules I don't think there is anything about adding weights. The only rule that might apply is under Misc. It's not specific to weights.
45. Any modification to a car not called out specifically in these rules is not legal.
46. If a driver finds a loophole within the rules, the exploitation will be deemed illegal at
the discretion of the race director.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

there is a facebook group for aussie truck racing and it was very active for a while and then it sort of stopped
https://www.facebook.com/Tamiya-TT01...6548694712626/
Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BumFacedGoat
there is a facebook group for aussie truck racing and it was very active for a while and then it sort of stopped
https://www.facebook.com/Tamiya-TT01...6548694712626/
When you can't really do anything to the car except drive it, you quickly run out of things to say.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was of the impression that the class was intended to be run in kit form, with only the addition of bearings allowed. No option parts permitted.
Was i expecting too much where there would be one class with the same set of rules?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nova2015
I was of the impression that the class was intended to be run in kit form, with only the addition of bearings allowed. No option parts permitted.
Was i expecting too much where there would be one class with the same set of rules?
I can see the need for the prop shaft, the plastic one can flex like a b... and flog things out but I agree, bearings and prop shaft is where I'd draw the line.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry to hijack but I'm selling my truck if anyone is keen..

FS: Tamiya TT-01E Hahn Racing Truck
Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have a better idea,
why don't we introduce TCS racing back into Australia, the numbers used to be huge
and it was the best event on the R/C calendar, it still exists everywhere else in the world.
just not here
kiwiazbro and RTRPLT like this.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

TCS requires the support of the local distributor. Toy Traders ran it for a few years and then dropped it. The new distributor is Southern Models and they have zero interest in the racing side of rc.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tony gray
TCS requires the support of the local distributor. Toy Traders ran it for a few years and then dropped it. The new distributor is Southern Models and they have zero interest in the racing side of rc.
perhaps a higher entry fee to cover the cost of the tickets for the winners, I still think this could be achieved if done this way, if there is no interest from Southern Model Supplies then clearly they aren't interested in making money, and there support is not needed anyway to make this event happen
if there were 150 entrants at $100 entry (given the prize not a lot of money really) = $15000 surely enough to cover the club running it making some coin and sorting out a few tickets imo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.