Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond >

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No, that run was in the lunch break, apparently. The first race is next Sunday, and there should be at least 6 (counting the two pictured) if the 3 guys I know turn up.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

do we know what time the slashes are racing?
Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

"Off Road Other Sunday Series 1 Round 1
1 February 2009
Registration 10:00am, racing 10:30am
Blenheim Park"

Last edited by Badmuthatrucker; 01-26-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rapster402 View Post
do we know what time the slashes are racing?
Slash will be its class and will run in conjunction with all other classes on the day, probably be 2nd last or last race of the round.

Ryde gives 3 Qualifiers and 3 Finals at all meeting, so be prepared for some great racing.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Slash

We just ran the 2 slash vehicles between rounds for fun last Sunday.

From talks on the day, a hand full of stock spec slash's should show there hands this Sunday.

It should be interesting with rain set for the afternoon, at this stage anyway.

I really enjoyed driving the Slash at Ryde but feel that the reverse track would suit the Slash and make for better racing.

I'm all about good racing.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:56 AM
Tech Master

Bring on the rain....
Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Rain or not, see you all tomorrow. Hoping to see atleast half a dozen Slashes on the track. This will be nuts
Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

well guys and gals,i had a abesolute ball racing my slash today

steve, mark and me normally comp our crawler trucks together,so this was something totally different,but so much fun

we have all agreed to run the track in normal direction next time round as tye slashs clear the big stepup jump fairly well if ya driven good,if we put a 19-20 tooth pinion on instead of the 18 ,it should be easier again(maybe)

also we are contemplating the alloy shock caps for our rigs(no performance bonus,just better reliability) and also a lexcen skid under the rear gearbox so the rear bumper bracket doesnt catch on the carpet(or maybe the alloy bumper mount bracket,again no performance bonus,just better reliability)

we have also come to a agreement on maybe choosing the lrp 550 big block mod motor for a different(rebuildable 12 turn double 550 ball bearing motor) and ultimately cheaper motor optionme and steve and mark are goingto run against each other soon to see how much difference there is in the performance of the titan and the lrp...

we arent intending on modding them,just improving the trucks reliability and maintence of the motors for cheaper and more reliable use(which i think is fair)

had a great amount of laughs banging doors,bumpers and guards on the other slashes with the boys.....we absoltely enjoyed ourselves.....hope fully next time we might have a few more mates from the crawler comp scene rock up with one each too(its on the cards,they love the scale looks and performance of them)as well as a few of the other fellas that have them that were supposed too be there today

also.apologies too the little buggies thta we run over a few times today(hopefully we didnt hurt them)

as you seen today,the slash dont change direction to well,but they do plow on through pretty good

seeya next time for some more slash madness(hopefully 6 or 7 of them on track,will be utter chaos)

also,some one picked up my red extension lead(15-20 amp i think,and covered in dirt and compressor oil,20- 30 meters long i think)it was from the power box to the little group of trees up the back near the top end of the track,i would like it back..... or just tell me you have it,and i will grab it off u next time we race

again thainks for the day,and i hope you got a laugh from our fender bashing sideways antics
Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Yes, as a formula, this appears to be working well. Multiple lead changes, very even.

Thanks to Jenny and the club for taking the chance with this class, and we hope to see a full field next week end.

I believe this is an excellent class for beginners, too. For one, they buy the same truck that everyone is racing. By keeping the modifications down to addressing reliability*, as the newcomer learns to drive, the goalposts aren't being moved further away simultaneously, as in other facets for the sport.
Also, these will teach a newbie throttle control and car craft, while not disintegrating on every impact.

My observations, on tyre choice after today, sits with retaining the stock tyres. For one main reason, they can traction roll with the stock tyres, anything stickier will make them harder to drive and slower to lap. After the final (as usual ), I found that these can hold a predictable drift, hanging the inside front off the ground. Very cool.

Also, it was suggested suggested that we stop the body roll, give them sticky tyres and power them up. In that, they would become another class of Truck. I am for letting them keep their identity, along with the quirks that make them different to everything else. The Slash is the HQ Holden class of off road racing. That parallel rings on nearly every point of practical comparison. Cheap, parity, excellent beginner level, or for those who are sick of the same old "perfect" handling, and plenty of biffo

See you all next week

*It's become apparent that we do need to consider allowing the use of the Traxxas Big Bore shock caps (#2667) , as the Ultra Shocks are still doing what they do best, blowing the plastic caps off. This part fixes that problem for good.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

spewing i couldnt make it yesterday, sounds like you all had a ball.
see you this sunday for sure(unless the cricket thing comes up again that is)
Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Slash

Good to hear the guys want to keep the Slash in original condition.

I have a Slash and ran it at for a demo at the Ryde Cup. Super keen to find out when you are running the class, dates etc.

I must say I worked in a store that sold Traxxas as a main supplier and we had an issue with 1 of 3 of the 12 Turn motors returned due to burning out after a 1 or 2 batteries. I guess thats what you get for $20.00 worth of motor.

Are we aloud to run a different Radio combo?

Cheers
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Adamj View Post
Good to hear the guys want to keep the Slash in original condition.

I have a Slash and ran it at for a demo at the Ryde Cup. Super keen to find out when you are running the class, dates etc.

I must say I worked in a store that sold Traxxas as a main supplier and we had an issue with 1 of 3 of the 12 Turn motors returned due to burning out after a 1 or 2 batteries. I guess thats what you get for $20.00 worth of motor.

Are we aloud to run a different Radio combo?

Cheers

Slash Class - a regular at Ryde meetings. All you have to do is an online entry via www.sydneyrc.com find the meeting date and supply your information, if we have min. of 3 cars the class is run.

Radio gear is free, below is our first set of rules these may be altered over the next months when we have seen what can go wrong with the kits and give permitted upgrades.

Great class to watch and look forward to seeing more at our racing.
Next meeting is by the calendar below.
JT
Attached Files
Old 02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Adamj View Post
I guess thats what you get for $20.00 worth of motor.
Shame they don't cost $20 to buy

I have put maybe a dozen full packs through mine, and honestly, it's still getting stronger. The final yesterday was the only time I could clear the doubles no worries.

Also, as a note, it wasn't particularly cool yesterday, and all 3 came off the track with luke warm motors. I think with the proper care someone gives a more expensive motor, these will last ok.

I think, and can speak for Mark and Justin too, that we'd be more than happy to keep parts that are not problematic and spares that are cost effective stock.
If the Traxxas replacement tyres sell for more than the Prolines, we'll probably take a vote on changing. If there is a succession of popped motors, we'll trial alternatives.
But really, they is what they is.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
Shame they don't cost $20 to buy

I have put maybe a dozen full packs through mine, and honestly, it's still getting stronger. The final yesterday was the only time I could clear the doubles no worries.

Also, as a note, it wasn't particularly cool yesterday, and all 3 came off the track with luke warm motors. I think with the proper care someone gives a more expensive motor, these will last ok.

I think, and can speak for Mark and Justin too, that we'd be more than happy to keep parts that are not problematic and spares that are cost effective stock.
If the Traxxas replacement tyres sell for more than the Prolines, we'll probably take a vote on changing. If there is a succession of popped motors, we'll trial alternatives.
But really, they is what they is.
yep,happy to keep the stock parts,other than maybe change the parts that are giving us a few little issues(see my post above)

also,if the proline tyres are going to work out to be cheaper,am happy to take a vote on changing over to these....seeing as my traxxas tyres will be pretty bald after this next race(8th)i will probably be the first person to do the pricing thing comparison......i know a few good contacts in rc shops that may do us a deal if we continuosly keep buying the tyres from them to replace our slash tyres....will have a answer on this soon,or maybe we do a bulk buy from the us maybe?

was having bad traction issues in the last few races on sundaybut,i suppose this isnt to bad a issue,certainly teaches you throttle control

but,Steves titan is getting stronger,while mine is getting slower,i noticed in the final that it had dropped a fair few revs,and wasnt sounding the best,a clean out and relube will hopefully fix it,still had enough hp to clear the double both ways though,so it cant be too bad really....
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

I tried to find the "proper" (recommended retial) price of stock Slash tires and turned up a dud. If anyone from a shop can inform us here, it'd be great.

We can't structure the price comparisons from guys on eBay splitting complete kits and selling the parts for a comparison like this.

I just found RC Hobbies in Leichhardt has the 12 turn Titan listed for $49

Last edited by Badmuthatrucker; 02-02-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.