Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond >

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker
It has too.... How would the power get from the comm to the windings if they were insulated?

Speaking of insulation..

You missing your tu tu already?
ummmm,yes true that on the insulation.....my bad

no,definetly not champ.....love wearing shorts again

on a side note,when i pulled the LRP apart,i noticed that the brushes were black,and had gotten real powdery and filled the can up with junk......i think the comm was glazed,i run some fine sandpaper around it carefully,and then filed the brushes a bit....and the damn thing works againso,there may be life in this motor yet,it starts up without having to turn it over,its got its revs back,so a rebuild and then a test at the sat arvo race i think...
Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
thanks RacerEd......dont have that much experience with the electric side of things,more nitro.......B.M.T actually said that it sounds like a broken wire,and when we opened the can at the track there was a little bit of debris in it...it probably swallowed a rock or two.........damn it.....so im guessing theres no point in rebuilding it then....

the motor was cooking,but the mesh was fine,and the gearing it was running should have been fine for it...if anything it could have gone up a tooth or two on the pinion...the only thing i could think of is i set the slipper a bit loose one heat,maybe it was bouncing of the "revlimiter" all race and got hot?
when i tightened the slipper for next race,it didnt get so hot.....

and i have sealed the diff with 50000 weight diff oil...surely that cant be overloading it,as the only time there is extra load is when one wheel is off the ground...so that isnt the issue.....

im thinking that the only reliable way of powering a slash is brushless........i'm going to buy another lrpand hope that it stays together long enough.....

if not ,im going brushless
Normally there's always a reason, just tracking it down is the frustrating part!
You don't have to worry about high revs as the motor generates more heat at low revs under load, so a tight slipper will cause more heat than a loose one.
The diff shouldn't be causing any extra load.

At the end of a race you can hold your finger on the motor for 2 secs then it's too hot and you need to keep looking.
Check your bearings in your truck still roll free. If you can spin your wheels by hand and they keep rolling with your pinion off then it should be fine.

Last resort would be to get a clipon heatsink with fan, you can get all sorts from yeah racing etc (don't know if there is room in the Slash?)

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

have checked all the bearings and such RacerEd,its all fine......
i got the LRP rebuilt today,new brushes and a good mate put it on his comlathehe also showed me a few things about the old brushed motors......hoping it stays together this time,im going to run the sat arvo race and see how i go....he also give me a few gearing tips for the slash...

i have a few of the clipon heatsinks as well as a few of the fan ones.....looks like one will be going on to drop the heat a bit,and im going to find my tempgun too....

if this thing dies,im going brushless for slash racing,in CORR class,maybe a 17.5 turn motor.....the americans reckon that they are still a little faster than a titan,might have to go to a 19.5/21.5....want the torque and a bit more speed than the titan has to offer,not much more,just a little bit....
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

cough...medusa...cough
Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rapster402
im running a mamba max esc with a medusa research 4700kv plane engine. it works so well cause its a torqey engine. i used an aftermarket transmitter so i wasnt limited to either 50% or full...i assume you were the car with the VXL.

can we all get our names out there... so can assosiate names-faces-trucks.
i was obviously the new guy, Chris with the brushless slash on beadlocks. i met peli but i didnt catch his name and BMT i know is steve....
Yep, that was me. My friend was looking for a BL setup, I think he's getting your one, I understand why
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

RC Hobbies has waterproof LRP ESC/motor combos with a 9.5t brushless which i think is about 4900kv. its about as fast as mine and about as fast as you want to go with a slash and its waterproof still. only $215 ESC and BL motor
Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

yeah,but we want a brushless setup for racing aswell...the big motors are ok for bashing,and bmx track jumping.....

we need a brushless motor that is just a bit quicker than the titan.....maybe 19.5 turn approx....and cheap
Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rapster402
RC Hobbies has waterproof LRP ESC/motor combos with a 9.5t brushless which i think is about 4900kv. its about as fast as mine and about as fast as you want to go with a slash and its waterproof still. only $215 ESC and BL motor
Whoa, that's cheaper than the VXL. I think. I'll tell my mate who's been looking for a setup, thanks.
EDIT:
Are you sure its good cause I think he'll go with it.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 AM
Tech Initiate

hey im lawso's mate im just wondering if i should get a medusa or lrp eraser bl any suggestions
Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

most LRP products have a lifetime warranty,so thers nothing to worry about really....all there stuff i have used has been great.....i have only used there speedys though,cant say anything about the motors...
Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lawso beater
hey im lawso's mate im just wondering if i should get a medusa or lrp eraser bl any suggestions

so when ya bringing ya slash racing?by the look of ya sig you already have a bigblock...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Peli
so when ya bringing ya slash racing?by the look of ya sig you already have a bigblock...
He doesn't have one yet, I ordered one for him tonight.
We'll be coming next Sunday unless somehow we can come this Saturday,
is it as busy as it is on Sunday's on Saturday?(its nearly a tongue tier, lol)

~Lawso
Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

LRP should be fine if you keep it cool..i reccommend a heatsink and fan especially for bashing...im getting one.
with the exchange rate medusas are pretty expensive... i paid about 160 for the motor alone from memory. if i saw that LRP before i bought my mamba i would have got it simply cause its waterproof...im thinking about getting one just for that reason. although i do like the mamba's adjustability and infinate motor limit! keep in mind with the LRP that 4900kv motor will be the fastest it can handle...no problem though, as you saw how quick my slash was... great fun just doesnt pull wheelies like my old 7700kv mamba motor did!!!!
i have a 3.0turn orion brushless motor brand new in box for sale anyone is interested, also integy alloy gearbox fits bandit, stampede, rustler,slash etc
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Somethings gone wrong with the results for last Sunday...
http://www.sydneyrc.com/2009/Results...ng_Report.html
, Josh didn't come second in the first race and I have no idea how you can do go around the track in only 12 seconds!
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

i was thinking the same mate,theres no way i did a 12 second lap......and josh didnt come in the first race,he came 6th.......i reckon my 12 second lap must have been a 32 second lap,and the 28 second lap of joshes a 38 or a 48.....
i will pm roman and he will sort it out...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.