Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond >

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Old 03-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli

still havnt pulled it apart to have a look,but i can tell ya after charging the battery and plugging it back in,ii have to push the car on the ground before the motor will start to rev and then only get to half the rpm's it used to get to think its shagged

thats 2 motors dead,2 missed finals

it was even geared at 16/86 so it should have been doing it easy really.....
will get a rebuild on it,and hope it fixes it.....if not i will get another bigblock and see how reliable they are.....
k, cause I need to get either the stupid Titan or a Big Block in the slash before next meeting
Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just get a brushless in there and back it off to stock speed. mine was well matched on the weekend at 70% and because its hardly working it was nice and cool.... geared 19 83 too!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

still havnt pulled it apart to have a look,but i can tell ya after charging the battery and plugging it back in,ii have to push the car on the ground before the motor will start to rev and then only get to half the rpm's it used to get to think its shagged

thats 2 motors dead,2 missed finals

it was even geared at 16/86 so it should have been doing it easy really.....
will get a rebuild on it,and hope it fixes it.....if not i will get another bigblock and see how reliable they are.....
Hey Peli, normally only 2 things will cause your motor to react like that, a stuck brush, or a broken wind if a bit of debri got in the can and took out one coil, so it won't start as normally the motor stops on the dead coil but will go if it's moving. Sorry I don't know your experience so ignor me if I'm giving you lessons on sucking eggs

Is your motor cooking? Then if your gearing is fine I'd be looking first at a tight gear mesh or binding in your drivetrain causing your motor to overheat?

As for you guys running Titans, they will be a bit more susceptible to heat being bushed, but a drop of bushing oil on the bushings before each run will keep them running well (pinion end bushing is critical), otherwise the shaft will spin into the bushing causing slop, this then causes the brushes to bounce which reduces power and increases heat.

Hope some of this helps...
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RacerEd
Hey Peli, normally only 2 things will cause your motor to react like that, a stuck brush, or a broken wind if a bit of debri got in the can and took out one coil, so it won't start as normally the motor stops on the dead coil but will go if it's moving. Sorry I don't know your experience so ignor me if I'm giving you lessons on sucking eggs

Is your motor cooking? Then if your gearing is fine I'd be looking first at a tight gear mesh or binding in your drivetrain causing your motor to overheat?

As for you guys running Titans, they will be a bit more susceptible to heat being bushed, but a drop of bushing oil on the bushings before each run will keep them running well (pinion end bushing is critical), otherwise the shaft will spin into the bushing causing slop, this then causes the brushes to bounce which reduces power and increases heat.

Hope some of this helps...
thanks RacerEd......dont have that much experience with the electric side of things,more nitro.......B.M.T actually said that it sounds like a broken wire,and when we opened the can at the track there was a little bit of debris in it...it probably swallowed a rock or two.........damn it.....so im guessing theres no point in rebuilding it then....

the motor was cooking,but the mesh was fine,and the gearing it was running should have been fine for it...if anything it could have gone up a tooth or two on the pinion...the only thing i could think of is i set the slipper a bit loose one heat,maybe it was bouncing of the "revlimiter" all race and got hot?
when i tightened the slipper for next race,it didnt get so hot.....

and i have sealed the diff with 50000 weight diff oil...surely that cant be overloading it,as the only time there is extra load is when one wheel is off the ground...so that isnt the issue.....

im thinking that the only reliable way of powering a slash is brushless........i'm going to buy another lrpand hope that it stays together long enough.....

if not ,im going brushless
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lawso
k, cause I need to get either the stupid Titan or a Big Block in the slash before next meeting

get a bigblock mate,and we will see how they go again.....i know a few fellas that have used them with great success.....B.M.T used one for years in a stampede,which will have more load than a slash,so they are reliable,and a few boys on our crawler forum use them in crawlers,and they are fine.....

might be a idea to make up a little filter using flyscreen mesh and a ziptie to protect the endbell from eating a rock
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

LRP have just released a newer version of the bigblock...its a BigBlock Special 2....part no57801......it revs to 31000rpm like the original,but its a 650 size motor...the older version was a 550......maybe this will be the go,extra torque,so it doesnt have to work as hard...
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-bigblock-special-2-650-57801.jpg  
Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm gonna try one out, gettin our price for them. Go the Fabtech machine!!!
No seriously guys (especially Peli my fender banging friend) & BMT too I had the best time on sunday it was the most fun I've had racin' in a loooooooong time

Cheers,
Shane
LRP have just released a newer version of the bigblock...its a BigBlock Special 2....part no57801......it revs to 31000rpm like the original,but its a 650 size motor...the older version was a 550......maybe this will be the go,extra torque,so it doesnt have to work as hard...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marui_man
I'm gonna try one out, gettin our price for them. Go the Fabtech machine!!!
No seriously guys (especially Peli my fender banging friend) & BMT too I had the best time on sunday it was the most fun I've had racin' in a loooooooong time

Cheers,
Shane
no probs mate,i love racing my slash...especially when theres a bit of fenderbending going on

what Lrp motor are you getting in mate..the 550 version or the new 650 version....
get one in for me,i need one...i will run B.M.Ts old titan if u dont have them in time

also,when you fellas getting in the tekin brushless motors?im keen to try one out,i have a mamba 5700kv....i could use that i suppose and just turn it down......not interested in having more power,just reliability
Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rapster402
just get a brushless in there and back it off to stock speed. mine was well matched on the weekend at 70% and because its hardly working it was nice and cool.... geared 19 83 too!
That's what I've been doing, except I've been running either a 7/6-cell NiMh, with 50% throttle, so I've been getting overtaken on the straight, but I've had good acceleration. What setup do you have? It looked pretty damn quick!
I was about to order the 550 tonight! But now that 650 sized one is out I have no idea what to do! Are we allowed the 650? I need to get it before next meeting unless someone has a titan they'd let me borrow.
I've been thinking about giving my shell/body a nice coloring in!
Would any body be willing to paint my body black? I'm going to email Monster, Red Bull and Rock Star to see if they'll send out some stickers to me
Old 03-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Tech Regular

im running a mamba max esc with a medusa research 4700kv plane engine. it works so well cause its a torqey engine. i used an aftermarket transmitter so i wasnt limited to either 50% or full...i assume you were the car with the VXL.

can we all get our names out there... so can assosiate names-faces-trucks.
i was obviously the new guy, Chris with the brushless slash on beadlocks. i met peli but i didnt catch his name and BMT i know is steve....
Old 03-10-2009, 02:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rapster402
im running a mamba max esc with a medusa research 4700kv plane engine. it works so well cause its a torqey engine. i used an aftermarket transmitter so i wasnt limited to either 50% or full...i assume you were the car with the VXL.

can we all get our names out there... so can assosiate names-faces-trucks.
i was obviously the new guy, Chris with the brushless slash on beadlocks. i met peli but i didnt catch his name and BMT i know is steve....
yeh Chris,im Justin..i run the white,with the black bonnet slash with the bigblock on the weekend and the epic beadlocks with stainless rings....

and Lawso,just get the 550 mate,as i said ,they have been heaps reliable over the years,i must have got unlucky and swallowed a few rocks..... as for ya shell,just pull all the stickers off slowly so u dont stretch them,stick them down on a plastic bin,or old icecream container just by a corner,that way u can pull them off the plastic later to put them on the shell

then give the shell a good going over with a scothbrite pad(ask ya mum for one)so that the surface isnt shiny,just got little scratches all over it.....
then give it a good wash with hot soapy water,then clean cold water,then dry it and let it sit to dry fully over night...

then the next night paint it black with normal rc paint,then u may want to paint some tamiya clear over it so it goes glossy...done....then put yor stickers back on.....all though keep in mind,we already have one all black slash(B.M.T's)so u may want to go for another colour mate,or a heap of stickers on it so u can recognise yor truck on track
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 AM
Tech Adept

@Peli
Yeah, I'm painting it black with hepas of stickers I emailed Red Bull, RockStar and Monster
Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Peli, I had similar issues with a couple of stock motors that had large openings on the can and cooked them when a stone got in (the stones at Ryde have a very high iron content!). The solution I found that worked well was to put a bit of silk stocking over the openings, like a sock secured with a zip tie. Just make sure that it's a SILK stocking not nylon - I learnt the hard way, very messy business when they melt.

Nick
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

yeah,was thinking about the flyscreen mesh,but i will try the stocking instead.....its going to be wierd going to kmart and buying silk stockings thats for sure

just pulled the lrp apart,and it looks like something may have gone through it..few scratches on the inside......there also looks like theres been some contact with the wires where they are joined to the comm....

also is it normal for the varnish to be off the copper wires where they join the comm,or has it got to hot and melted away?

btw,whens the scores and points going to be up for the weekend.....not that it matters,im last with two dnfs in the finals
Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

also is it normal for the varnish to be off the copper wires where they join the comm,or has it got to hot and melted awayl:
It has too.... How would the power get from the comm to the windings if they were insulated?

Speaking of insulation....

ts going to be wierd going to kmart and buying silk stockings thats for sure
You missing your tu tu already?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.