Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond >

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond

Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Nick, take my reaction to "Suck it up, Traxxas knows best" as an indicator to how badly this drove.

I do find it interesting your disdain towards "the mods" when you race in classes that allow any chassis mods you can dream of....

Just my observation.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
nec
Tech Rookie

Hey Guys,

heres some pics from the ryde open. i'll post more.

cheers
Nec.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5544.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5545.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5546.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5548.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5549.jpg  

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM
nec
Tech Rookie

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5550.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5556.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5566.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5567.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5568.jpg  

Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
nec
Tech Rookie

and a few more pics....
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5569.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5570.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5571.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5572.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5573.jpg  

Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM
nec
Tech Rookie

enjoy the pics, only a few more to come.
willl need to bring the better camera next time, these buggers are hard to photograph.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5576.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5577.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5578.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5582.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5584.jpg  

Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
nec
Tech Rookie

last pics.

will the SCT drivers be racing on Sunday?
will i be able to race my 4wd slash if i come along?

cheers
Nec.

P.S the ryde open was an awesome event. kudos to the guys involved in the track build and event organising. Thanks to Daniel and BMT for all the tips too.
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5589.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5595.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5596.jpg   Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-img_5613.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Peli
i have a spare SC10,should put it together with my old 13.5 and some decent tyres all round,suspension setup and the shell i have and bring it for some of you fellas that race other classes too try on race day in the heat of battle...just need yor Radio,and yor ESC to use in it....
geez mate, how many have u got considering you'll have my old one too by the end of the week
Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker
Nick, take my reaction to "Suck it up, Traxxas knows best" as an indicator to how badly this drove.

I do find it interesting your disdain towards "the mods" when you race in classes that allow any chassis mods you can dream of....

Just my observation.
Again, I am not having a go at you, but as one of the people who is going to have to decide on these rules I, like the rest of the committee, must have some sort of opinion and enter into discussion about the class.

If we were to all stick to the classes we race to discuss that would mean Roman couldn't vote on 4WD, Sean couldn't have an opinion on Stock and Steve couldn't be involved in discussions of the Junior program. How would anything ever get decided?

This whole discussion was started when the committee was asked to allow 1/8 tyres in SCT4wd, as a committee member I was voicing my opinion, and again I was not talking on behalf of all the committee members or making a person attack on anyone.

We are having a meeting tonight at Seano's place, so if you want to make your case feel free to attend and put arguments forward or send a submission to Roman outlining how you would like the rule to be worded and we can discuss it and put it up for a vote.

When Roman and I first got SCT into the club we originally envisioned it as a spec class where everybody ran the same motors, the same tyres and the same chassis as the "Slash" class had been promoted. We thought this would be great for close racing and for new racers as an entry level class, because it was relatively cheap and easy to get into. The reason I don't race SCT is because that spec class has been diluted way beyond what we first expected and it has become just as expensive and equipment driven as the other stock classes, so why change. I have always expressed this opinion at committee meetings, but that doesn't mean that's the way the rules are set, obviously.

Nick

Last edited by nckmat; 02-09-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

GREAT PICS NEC,thanks for putting them up mate

what u guys have forgotten is this wasnt supposed to be a STOCK class....spec doesnt meen stock mate....

Cheap i hear u say,i spent over 100 dollars on 2 titans and a LRP BigBlock in 2 meetings Nick,yet i then went onto buy a LRP13.5 combo for 200 that lasted me all year and survived my torture....so Spec wasnt cheap,if you had a Slash,u had 2 buy another speedy to be safe,as the stock one didnt have lipo cutoff

Spec racing sucks,always has,always will...i hated it with a passion even though the racing put a smile on my face,the Slashs were 2 heavy,2 slow,boring to drive and unreliable stock,parts were hard to get because we all had to by the same shit stuff that kept breaking..i know,i raced one for 4 months

We originally decided to go 13.5 for interests of reliability,and fair racing,easy to get motors(at the time it was Adam Frankish's suggestion to me becasue there would have been heaps around 2nd hand because they were getting banned in stock,and he beleived they wouldnt over power the trucks...well done Ad,you were 100 precent spot on) and because ultimately they were cheaper....SO,thats y we have 13.5 motors....

and much the same story with the tyres,u just couldnt get a Traxxas Slash tyre in Aus for the first few months.....and if you could the were bloody EXXXY...so we decided for the interests of fairness we would pick a set of tyres to use...Proline then stopped making them after 3 months...they were really hard to get,then they changed the sizes of the rims...so we were screwed,we had to go to the current series of tyres available to us.....which happen to be the new generation tyres we ALL use now,and ALL VOTED to use....

as a matter of interest,im a hell of a lot better driver now than i was at the start of the year...and that i think is because of practise,but ultimately being able to choose a set of tyres(like every other class) that suited the track,my driving style and my truck setup helped immensely....

so,thats the evolution of SCT 13.5 in a nutshell...ITS what the guys who race them every week want,its CHEAPER than SPEC Slash racing and more competitive,with better quality driving coming out of it..

the biggest indication that we are headed in the right direction is that the US tracks and clubs are walking away from SPEC SLASH because its not fair,EXXY and boring...we did the same....

they are loving RTR SCT(which is what we wanted originally,but the slash lovers at our track thought they would get owned by SC10,so what did we do,we had guys wanting a SPEC SLASH,with no other SCT's in it,so the rest of us were forced to go elsewhere....we evolved our class to suit our requirements..now,the Slash has the best RTR tyre by FAR,so what happened when our first real running of RTR SCT happened,a Slash didnt get owned by a SC10,it WON..so to all the fellas out there that want SPEC SLASH classes(its a FAILURE)...but RTR SCT is a great class,and one i would support)

1: RTR SCT = RTR Production SCT 2wd running any RTR SCT tyres or any RTR SCTmotor,and any RTR SCT ESC...radio change allowed and lipo allowed

The reason i want to see RTR being able to use any RTR product is that certain tyres are better,certain speedys are lipo cutoff and waterproof,and certain motors are better than others...ALL of this stuff can be found cheap new,and that way the fella's who race RTR dont get screwed by lack of tyres,or motor for there truck if the RTR one dies......and dont sprout the CHASSIS PARITY BS,it has been proven without a doubt that ANY truck can win a SCT race at Ryde..so lets KILL that notion right now......

the above,or slight revisions of it will get my vote,SPEC SLASH wont

2: SCT Pro 2 13.5= any motor including 13.5 and above...nothing,and i mean NOTHING below 13.5.....

Any Production SCT tyre,no cut and shut jobs,no 1/8th scale combos allowed..
Any production SCT bodyshell,wheel,general aftermarket parts(shock towers,chassis braces,aftermarket shocks) that will fit yor truck..
NO SWAYBARS allowed in SCT Pro 2 13.5 of any description,even if fitted factory,it has to be removed

Any Production 2wd SCT chassis to run,with special dispensation given for 2wd Proto's that might want to run......that Dispensation for Proto's will be awarded by fellow racers on the day doing a quick hands up vote on whether it runs or not...

This is alreaden proven by us this year to be a FUN,COMPETITIVE,CHEAP,FAST,SUCCESFUL,ENTERTAINING class to run and watch....i love this class,and will move heaven and earth to protect my interests in this class,and what i see as being the way 80 percent of current SCT racers wanting our class to stay headed..i always make a effort to ask if they like it this way,the general consensus is YES..

this class is only going to get bigger with stable rules,and 3 new trucks coming out in the next 2 months for 2wd SCT....in 6 months time,it will be huge...lets not screw with a good thing...even racers from other classes are now starting to show good interest,the drivings better,they can race there FAVOURITE brand with a FEW,SIMPLE mods.....

SCT Pro2 13.5 is our mod class for SCT 2wd...yet we are still kept within the interests of the class,and in the style of the real trucks...enough power where u have to be a good driver to use it all,but not silly fast like they would be with a 8.5(a true MOD Motor)...a 10.5 in a well setup 2wd would be great to drive though...

u will get a good verbal dustup with me if u want to change the above class too much at all.......

SCT Pro 4.....i will be back to post a little info on this...i started a Thread in the US SCT truck forums about this class..they have been racing them over there flatout for the last 3-4 months....they no a hell of a lot more about it than us,So for simplicitys sake when starting out a new class i personally think our rules should be VERY close to theres...SO,FORGET about all the 1/8th junk in that class boys.....

be back after you fellas digest that...my head hurts

PS,this isnt a go at anyone in particular..just having a discussion with Nick,and whoever feels like piping in....

also, if i think the rules that come out of this will benefit our SCT racing and our club,i am willing to change,but only certain things.....

Last edited by Peli; 02-09-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by muzza_t
geez mate, how many have u got considering you'll have my old one too by the end of the week
with yors,3 mate...give the Slash POS to BMT for free

pulled the SC44 apart because it was a POS

still building my tube frame Pro4 HPI....and Seano's XXX SC
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

..have that MR PLOW:deathst ar

hahahhahaa...loved that moment,fully remember making the decision to jam it up the inside of Ian with out turning him around to much,but the shitty Slash fell over ...was a BLOODY AWESOME move.....

my truck was running fine then,in Necs vid it wasnt
Attached Thumbnails Traxxas Slash spec class racing at Ryde in 2009 and beyond-mr-plow.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nec
last pics.

will the SCT drivers be racing on Sunday?
will i be able to race my 4wd slash if i come along?

cheers
Nec.

P.S the ryde open was an awesome event. kudos to the guys involved in the track build and event organising. Thanks to Daniel and BMT for all the tips too.
yep Nec,bring it,if theres 3 of them theres a class...will have the new rules for Pro 4 up soon to mate...that way u guys no where u stand on tyres and the such....
Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

You have taken the World Record for the longest post ever Peli
Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

i knew it would be something smartass from u little bugggy lover....

and 2 finger typing it takes FOREVER
Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

the general direction that we should be heading based on the feedback from the US over Pro 4 is

1: 1/10th chassis only...reasons,1/8th buggy conversions are heaps heavier,in a collision,1/10 SCT loses all the time.........plus,its 1/10th...if u want to run 1/8th conversions and tyres,go race 1/8th....
The Scale look..and im a big fan of this...i dont want to see our Pro 4 class bastardised with 1/8th wheels and tyres,1/8th conversions......i can see yor point about going out of the realms of our scale Nick (1/10th) and i agree

2: they are having great fun on the SCT tyres...more foam tuning is the way to go,and suspension setup is especially important with these monsters...

basically,suck it up fellas and learn how to drive them the yanks are saying..we did..and i agree with them...i would like to see the tyres LOCKED to SCT spec only for the first 6 months..by then,Proline,J Cons,HPI etc will have made specific tyres for the 4wds....i vote we wait till the market is more stable,then go over our options again on tyres

3:electrics....this is where i think it would maybe beneficial to let the 1/8th electric speedys and 3 cell in.....the guys in the US are having no probs with the Novak HV systems and several different brands of 6.5-8.5 motors and 1/10 speedys running on 2 cell batterys....but they are reporting back that they do get a little warm if having the ring driven out of it....

a lot of fellas are trialling 1/8th motors and speedys restricted to 3 cell in there 1/10 4wd SCT's...same speeds as the 1/10th stuff,but more reliable,runs cooler,more gearing options and ultimately,just a better electrics package....and still way under the weight of a 1/8th conversion

plus,running 3 cell they arent as reliant on massive dollar, high MaH,high c rating lipo's...they can run cheaper,less stressed 3 cell packs for RTR's and the basher crowd,rather that quality race pack 2 cells..

4: 1/10th SCT wheels,bodies,bumpers etc have to be used...

personally i would like to see our Pro 4 class head this way...dont have to spend a fortune...just buy yor truck,bolt in yor Mod system(for the 1/10th electric guys who already have them)and the fellas who have a 1/8th buggy sitting around idle,can do the same thing,buy yor truck,bolt yor 1/8th electrics in and be legal to race
for the guys that buy the Slash 4wd,it is already 3 cell compliant ESC,so they are legal too,and fast enough to be competitive....

the guys that buy the Ofna's/Jammins have to put electrics in (A Main price on the above,round 260 US) the guys that buy the Slash 4wds dont have to buy electrics,but have to pay more for the truck(A Main Price..roughly 400 US,havent checked that price for a week,so may be cheeper)..so it all balances out...

lets do the same thing we did with 13.5,and just keep them reasonabley stock for a while....then see what happens later in the year

what do u guys think of the above

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.