Wiki Posts
Search

3 Electric Offroad Motor Classes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 3 Electric Offroad Motor Classes

Ok, so following the July update to the AARCMCC regulations we now have 3 motor classes that must be run at State and National titles in 2wd and 4wd: Stock (27T, 17.5), Super Stock (19T, 10.5) and Modified.

Is this a good move? Will the extra class provide the needed stepping stone between Stock and Mod? Or will the entries be diluted such that the quality of the fields is reduced? Will this affect Mod or Stock entries more?

Opinions?

Or have I been fooled by the wording again, so that only Seniors can enter Super Stock? (I'm pretty sure that's not the case - at least it doesn't read like that. However it reads as though if you are over 40 you HAVE to enter Super Stock - something Peter indicated on the AARCMCC thread wasn't the case.

2.0.3 Junior Drivers, under the age of 16 years at the time of the event. The highest placed Junior will be recognised as the Junior state or national champion for their performance for stock 2 WD and 4 WD during the meeting.
The host club can also recognise the highest placed junior in modified as a state or national champion.
Senior Drivers are to be a minimum age of 40 years at the time of the event. Seniors are to compete in the Super Stock class. The highest placed Senior will be recognised as state or national champion for their performance for
2WD and 4WD

Also refer to Rule 2.0 and 2.0.2 and 2.2.3 for the list of classes and how they may be cross entered or not as the case may be.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Ok, so following the July update to the AARCMCC regulations we now have 3 motor classes that must be run at State and National titles in 2wd and 4wd: Stock (27T, 17.5), Super Stock (19T, 10.5) and Modified.

Is this a good move? Will the extra class provide the needed stepping stone between Stock and Mod? Or will the entries be diluted such that the quality of the fields is reduced? Will this affect Mod or Stock entries more?

Opinions?

Or have I been fooled by the wording again, so that only Seniors can enter Super Stock? (I'm pretty sure that's not the case - at least it doesn't read like that. However it reads as though if you are over 40 you HAVE to enter Super Stock - something Peter indicated on the AARCMCC thread wasn't the case.

2.0.3 Junior Drivers, under the age of 16 years at the time of the event. The highest placed Junior will be recognised as the Junior state or national champion for their performance for stock 2 WD and 4 WD during the meeting.
The host club can also recognise the highest placed junior in modified as a state or national champion.
Senior Drivers are to be a minimum age of 40 years at the time of the event. Seniors are to compete in the Super Stock class. The highest placed Senior will be recognised as state or national champion for their performance for
2WD and 4WD

Also refer to Rule 2.0 and 2.0.2 and 2.2.3 for the list of classes and how they may be cross entered or not as the case may be.

Personally, I think it's a good move. Legitimate senior entires at a State or National level are sometimes minimal at best.
A full blown class should increase numbers.
The argument of trophy hunters stepping back from mod will always be raised, on the other hand the stock driver wishing to move up now has the choice to try something faster.

Take some fast Seniors for example: Neil Linwood, Keith Sayer. I'm sure they would still be in the 19-10.5 A main and still in the top three, regardless.

For a "D Main" mod driver like myself, it does look attractive. Would I be considered a trophy hunter? Would my presence dilute the class?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

Radio Active,

I'll answer a few questions as I have been the main protagonist in the instigation of this change and pushed for it for many months.

1. You havnt been fooled, anyone can enter super stock not just Seniors, but the seniors trophy component of it is out of respect for the guys who have guided us for many years and as Neil said, guys like Keith Seyer, Neil Linwood, Chris Fraser will more than likely still be up the top end of the field
which brings me to the next point of that, This class already existed, We have just expanded it to hopefully stop a trend of no more than 3 or 4 entries in Seniors in State Level but still have a need to run the class to get charge times correct for the meet and not wanting to turn away some of the best drivers.
2. The other point you make is that it looks like seniors have to enter this class.
Have seniors ever been restricted to any particular class? I dont think so and now is no different. A senior can enter whichever class suits them but will only be able to run for the seniors trophy in the superstock class as this was the equivalent class to what they always ran.

Neil,

I dont think it's going to be a trophy hunter class. I reckon the racing in it will be seriously tough and hopefully very close and exciting. NSW Titles will be the first test for it.

Look forward to running against you in Superstock sometime soon cause thats where im going to be

Jason Broers
AARCMCC Off Road Rep
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Looks like I'll be at the NSW Titles with Jason!
Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I love the term "trophy hunter" how did this first start? I went from stock to Mod and now back to stock. I enjoy stock racing more and find it actually more demanding! Put the car on its lid once and there goes the race!

Anyway to the topic.....

I see that the new class will dilute existing mod / stock classes a little. I don't see it so much as a stepping stone, as a driver from stock going to super stock is not necessarilly looking to jump to mod? Besides the running costs (tyres for one!) is it such a big jump going from 13.5 to 7.5? Yes you won't be a front runner for a while but you will get there.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Fuhrer
senior entires
One of your best Neil!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Tune71
2. The other point you make is that it looks like seniors have to enter this class.
Have seniors ever been restricted to any particular class? I dont think so and now is no different. A senior can enter whichever class suits them but will only be able to run for the seniors trophy in the superstock class as this was the equivalent class to what they always ran.
Oh, I agree with you. I just wish a little more thought had been put into the wording so that it didn't read that way.

For everyone wondering my opinion. I'm sitting on the fence. I would actually like to run this class. I can see the benefits for State and National titles but I wonder how this will affect club racing. With all the upheaval in motors and batteries, plus the whole mod 5 cell TC thing, I wonder what will happen in the long run.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

I can tell you that there will be at least 5-7 Canberra guys running it at NSW states.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

I dont understand why we went back to a 3 motor system.

it did not work befor.. why would it work again.

it just splits the classes and reduces nukbers in each one.

it will take another 2 years for people to get to mod becausee they feel they have to win the intermediate class too. or stops them going to mod full stop.

in offroad, there is almost not cost difference in stock - mod. stock has been the more expensive class in the past.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

Im curious to see how it all pans out.....

could be good, could be bad.....

if 30 new racers come along and a class is born.... awesome.....

if it waters everything down....... not so good.....

hopefully gifted young drivers will just bypass it all together and go straight to mod.....