power supply

Old 08-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Default power supply

Can i use the power supply for PC for the charger input?
there are 12V 8A, 3A, which is better?

another thing is KO Propo pocket booster adaptor,
my charger is 4-7 cells, can it charger the pocket booster,
???
my charger has auto cut off fet.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the pc power supply should be ok. just make sure that you don't exceed the max amp of the output (8 or 3 amps as you said above). Just use the 8 amp output and don't charge above that (you should never charge at 8 amps anyway) and you will be fine.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

with the glow starter adapter, it should only be used on a charger that supports 1 cell charging.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

u could solder some resistors across the 5v rail to up the voltage. I can get my PSU to put out 15 - 16 volts with the right resistors but they start to smoke
Old 08-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally posted by sausage_link
u could solder some resistors across the 5v rail to up the voltage. I can get my PSU to put out 15 - 16 volts with the right resistors but they start to smoke
I wouldn't recommend doing this. If it's smoking, then it's overloaded, and from what I understand, you’re taking the computer power supply outside its original design limits. Electricity has a nasty habit of biting back at you when you disrespect it.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I hope you have a good life insurance policy if you intend using that sort of power supply! I hope the club you are running at has a good insurance policy running as if anything goes wrong with that type of supply and someone gets hurt or whatever they will have to explain how the club let illegal types of power supplies be used. I know that you aren't allowed to use that type of power supply at any of the clubs in Victoria.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by 2-Bad
I wouldn't recommend doing this. If it's smoking, then it's overloaded, and from what I understand, you’re taking the computer power supply outside its original design limits. Electricity has a nasty habit of biting back at you when you disrespect it.
the resistors smoke because they are only 7 watts and are overloaded... the psu can handle heaps... ive had 2 batt chargers and a car amp connected up to it at once with no drama's