Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree138Likes

England Park Raceway, Brendale.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Rob, You've hit the nail on the head. Corner speed and consistency is the key.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1, and those two things will only come with lots of track time.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think near any of the A heat guys would be more than happy to share any setups etc, there is not really any speed secrets as such, a lot of the speed is purely in being able to hold good lines, so careful attention to setup is likely key, or having a car setup that you can just easily drive.

With practice, I always found one night of 25min 'racing', is worth many hours of practice, solo track time can be good, but the racing on a night where you with others, is worth so much more in development of your skills, even more so when the track grips up by the level of use and becomes easier to drive.

Equipment to a point is not that important, unless your chasing tenth of seconds, most motors, esc or batteries are all up to good pace if you can find it.

It's possible cleaner heats could be had in electric just by switching to "proper" starts, meaning delayed staggered starts, where the computer will call each car number away one at a time, this method mean your purely racing the clock in the quals, with a little more space given by the staggered start.

As usual for the newer drivers, my setup station and tyre truer are always around to be used, as is any advice on settings.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

how can I change the subject I forgotten what the subject was
greg
Old 07-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by greg.dawn
how can I change the subject I forgotten what the subject was
greg
Back when i was young, we had to walk 200 miles in the snow and take 4 horses just to get to school, and that was on a good day.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

snow/t/horses/walk//school//what the hell was the subject
greg
what was the subject
Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Speed secrets revealed here

Originally Posted by greg.dawn
snow/t/horses/walk//school//what the hell was the subject
greg
what was the subject
We novice drivers felt a glimmer of hope that Mr Shaps might reveal that his speed secrets were to do with something easily obtainable but of course in the back of our minds we knew that eventually the key to speed and success would be revealed to be - natural ability, PRACTICE, race experience and to have the reflexes and hand eye co-ordination of a Bruce Lee clone.

Rob - I hope you weren't running any BOOST on those pack mules, its not allowed remember...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:48 AM
Tech Elite

It's not all motors, esc and batteries but without a modern kit you can expect to be slightly slower. Here's what happened when "dad" gave luke's car a suspension setup. The car was under-steering on power. The layout is such that there's a LOT of on power turning and any push will destroy any performance gains.

Here's what was wrong with Luke's car:

Shock ends were binding on the lower arms. Shocks were too short for small tyres at full droop. Droop screws were rendered useless because shocks were too short and running small foams. I loosened the ball joints, set the droop equally, checked shocks, ensured arms were free of binding and put it all back together and didnt really care for the ride height so much. Most all the cars on track were as fast or faster than ours in terms of power/gearing.

Before/After

Before Suspension setup.(Laps,time,fast,average,kph,std-dev)
22 5:02.567 12.639 13.753 42.72 QRCCRA 1.768

After Suspension setup.(Laps,time,fast,average,kph,std-dev)
25 5:07.599 11.921 12.303 45.30 0.730
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dragobrat
Rob - I hope you weren't running any BOOST on those pack mules, its not allowed remember...
HEHE Funny you should say that, turns out my brand new hobbywing extreme stock esc is not very stock at all. Out of the box they are using the boost software not blinky. So yeah it turns out i was running boost, making me a big fat cheater. I have the usb program box on its way to change the esc software before the next meeting.

TBH i kind of liked how the power delivery came on with the turbo software, nice and smooth through the rev range, rather than kind of harsh delivery with just can timing.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
HEHE Funny you should say that, turns out my brand new hobbywing extreme stock esc is not very stock at all. Out of the box they are using the boost software not blinky. So yeah it turns out i was running boost, making me a big fat cheater. I have the usb program box on its way to change the esc software before the next meeting.

TBH i kind of liked how the power delivery came on with the turbo software, nice and smooth through the rev range, rather than kind of harsh delivery with just can timing.
Just about all the HW ESC come with a boost profile pre-loaded, except for the Justock 45amp I run, which will only run non boost software.

When you push the turbo settings for speed, they can become quite a dog in the bottom to mid range depending, blinky or zero profiles usually give the smoothest and most linear power delivery, hence why most racing has gone back to zero profile timing, cause it's generally easier to drive.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bishop
Just about all the HW ESC come with a boost profile pre-loaded, except for the Justock 45amp I run, which will only run non boost software.

When you push the turbo settings for speed, they can become quite a dog in the bottom to mid range depending, blinky or zero profiles usually give the smoothest and most linear power delivery, hence why most racing has gone back to zero profile timing, cause it's generally easier to drive.
Looking at the stock esc settings, the timing does not kick in till about 9000rpm, assuming that i am reading how it works right, and then brings in the 22Deg of timing on an exponential curve to whatever max rpm is.

Where as with the old esc i had 20Deg of can timing that was linear through the rev range. I think that it was the lack of timing on the bottom end that made it feel much more smooth in power delivery with my noobie lack of throttle control

The one place i really noticed the difference was with wet tires, had much more control in the lower rpm which meant i did not shoot off at the next corner, or just spin out from too much throttle input.

With the 45A Just Stock, how do you find the esc temps, i know with one i had in the TC it was running pretty hot in 10.5 with lots of can timing wich was why i got the 60A for it and put the 45A into the F1.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM
tjk
Tech Addict

If anyone knows someone wanting to get into the SSF class and needs a car, give me a yell. Mate is selling his. Only been run for a couple of meetings.
Associated 6.1, body, ESC, Thunder Power 10.5 and a couple of battery packs (not sure of brand ) with very few cycles. $550 negotiable.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

At one stage I was running the 45a in winter with no fan, and it was fine.

With timing on motors, you have to be wary that what many show is not accurate, many have a zero mark that is actually 20deg (most motors come with 20 from the factory), so you can end up over timed by adding too much on top of that.
You don't actually need a lot of timing in 10.5, it can just add heat and make the power delivery less smooth, gearing up vs timing is usually more torque and an easier drive.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

there seems to be a lot of posts about none rc but I have forgotten what I am on about again better come racing again before I forget where the track is
greg
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

The track is nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.