R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Old 12-19-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default calling on all 540 racers

hi i was just wondering if all of the 540 racers post a reply and say what u think of it and if we should race it at the nat's
the fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My feelings on this matter have been voiced in another thread.........seems to me that no matter what AARCMCC has written in their rules , if you aren't running Modified or Stock you are a "leper" in the eyes of the R/C world......

540 should be a Nationals class.......and I would enter tomorrow if it were.....
Old 12-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

540 is for novices, if you make it a 540 class people with a million dollars worth of gear and 10 years driving experience will stay in it forever, just take the likes of Nofx and that other dude in offroad, they kicked and screamed when 540 was removed as a major class in offroad.

Let 540 be the place where newbies hone their skills at a slower pace, and when they are ready let them step up to the title classes. If 540 were a Nats class, then little johnny with his rtr car wont want to have 10 laps placed on him by billy bob with his 008, BL speedie, 15 matched packs, digital tire warmers etc. And he will eventually drop out. Thats the last thing our dwindling numbers need.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
540 is for novices, if you make it a 540 class people with a million dollars worth of gear and 10 years driving experience will stay in it forever, just take the likes of Nofx and that other dude in offroad, they kicked and screamed when 540 was removed as a major class in offroad.

Let 540 be the place where newbies hone their skills at a slower pace, and when they are ready let them step up to the title classes. If 540 were a Nats class, then little johnny with his rtr car wont want to have 10 laps placed on him by billy bob with his 008, BL speedie, 15 matched packs, digital tire warmers etc. And he will eventually drop out. Thats the last thing our dwindling numbers need.
Agree, but some guys are just happy to keep going around in 540 like some of the seniors at Castle Hill and why shouldnt they? I think we need two levels similar to what some clubs run and that is 540 and 540Pro simple as that and then you get the best of all worlds!

I for one will run 540 at Castle Hill for fun, and BL Stock where ever else I can. I agree that people need to step up a class once they are proficient in another.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanemac View Post
My feelings on this matter have been voiced in another thread.........seems to me that no matter what AARCMCC has written in their rules , if you aren't running Modified or Stock you are a "leper" in the eyes of the R/C world......

540 should be a Nationals class.......and I would enter tomorrow if it were.....
I agree 110% but in WA particularly, 540 is viewed solely as a novice class, I tried Stock but just enjoyed 540 more, and I'd race it at the Nats / States whatever again no question.

I am not sure about the rest of the country but in WA it seems classes are dictated by 2 people the PRECC president, and Dave Simms at Ryper and neither of those two have any respect at all for 540, to them it's a "Hack Class"

Lets face it, more money for stores in Stock / Mod, more parts break, why would they endorse 540, that would allow people to "heaven forbid" have fun!

"If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's entire life believing it is stupid"

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

I can see the point where people wont move up a grade and then the novices or newbies will be blown away...

I've been racing 540 with my TT01 for a year on and off and am having a blast but am ready to take the leap to stock.

I dont think Nexus's comment on the attitude to 540 from PRECC or Ryper is valid. I mostly race at Ryper and have found everyone very supportive and friendly even to the point where Dave helped set up my car and gave me some pointers, Lots of the "top runners" have helped me, (Toby, Alfred, Kev) and I've never felt that anyone has had an attitude towards the fact that I'm running a lowely TT01 and 540.

I would like to see the 540 brushless made legal and become accepted as I've thrown out about 6 black cans this year :-)

Maybe there could be 540 black can brushed as Novice class and brushless 540 is the "Pro" class ??

Cheers
Flight_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
Tech Regular

i think we should race 540 because its a good step to be on , you look at the top mod drivers of todays racing , five or ten years ago , they raced 540 so why cant the novice drivers go though that learning stage
Old 12-19-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

fos check your pm
johnkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Historic Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Historic Racer

540 should be a class at the Nats. This level is for experienced racers and anyone novice or whatever will enter for just the experience knowing that their chance of winning is low. There is good evidence for novice and pro at club and state level also. Dont complicate it with brushless although 13.5 and 5 cell against Johnson 540 and 6 cell would be interesting at club level.
Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional
Historic Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Tech Regular

kempy check ur pm
Old 12-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I would be in it.

540 is great. It's more about the car and driver being smooth.
Ax10, SCX10, Joker Visit : www.lcrccc.org.au
Swamp Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Tech Regular

thank you for saying 540 is a great class , 'thats number 6'
Old 12-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if theres a 540 class im in which there should be because i dont think all the top drivers are going to be to happy to see some kid thats been driving a mounth in stock or mod they would proberly just get in the way and that kid problerly wouldnt race again if they were getting lapped 5 or 6 times a race
johnkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Ideally the classes any "progressive" club would run would be:

Novice (540 or Stock only)
540 Pro
Stock
Mod

and given numbers:

Mini
1/12

Some people like to run the sealed can, Stock can be too competitive, too many people taking it too seriously! I know Ryper the "benchmark" is :

17 Laps - Silver Can
18 Laps - Sports Tuned
19 Laps - Stock
20 Laps - Mod

if you can break that, then maybe it's time to look at the next level, I did the first 3 but Mr Ryper Dave still wouldn't "allow" me to run Mod, so I quit. Thats the comment on the attitude of the club. My "choice" is 540, I always enjoyed it more, less pressure, and if you ran clean you'd be able to outrun most stockers anyway.

But back to the topic at hand, I'll throw my hand in favour of 540 as a recognised national class but with Controls. Maybe Tamiya sports tuned only? You can get sealed endbell 540 motors up to 15 turns now, and they do blow the "legitimate" 540 motors away!

"If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's entire life believing it is stupid"

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
Tech Regular

or mabye a johnson 540