Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
calling on all 540 racers >

calling on all 540 racers

calling on all 540 racers

Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Last edited by crazydave; 01-30-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sorry Dave,

Just thought this thread was about 540 at the nats, well thats what the first post starts the thread off as. But hey, i could be wrong.

I am not slinging off at 540 racers, as my mast post says, I was one once also. I am against it being a class at the nats, mainly because it is a class to learn and hone skills. Then time to move up to the next class. My problem also is that some people just wont move up, stay in 540 because they are winning there and think they will never win in mod. Trophy hunting has been a problem and always will be. Of course my opinion totally but I believe I am entitled to it.

If you were at the nats in Maitland, you may remember time being a huge factor with weather playing a major part in the possibility of finishing the event at all. If another class was brought in, this would make it even more difficult.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Smile

540 class levels the playing field .
experience and tools make the differance but you learn this stuff as you progress anyway
i run 540 pro because i like it and its a fun class, ive run mod,stock and had brushless but like 540 because everyone runs the same motor no tuning on motor required just setup and gearing
good for learner and great fun
yes it sho with what he hasauld be a state final and pro level class with 15 minute semies and 20 minute finals to test driver and machinery with no restriction on body type but no holes for cooling then we will see who has got it
just my opinion
if joe blow went to the nats and seen this ,when he buys his car he might buy slightly better because of the fact he can race in this sort of class .isnt this good for everyone i dont see a problem with it
Old 01-15-2008, 03:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazydave
We do 5min races the same as the other classes. I'm not refering to the Nats, im refering to ordinary club racing. If the majority dont want 540 in any form at the nats, then dont have it. Simple really. Just stop poking unconstructive S*&%t at the class in general, because thats what is going on. Dont like 540, dont race it, dont even watch it. Stop looking down noses at others like a bunch of toy-car toffs. No wonder only a small percentage of r/c owners actually race, would give anyone the s*&ts. If i raced at a club with attitudes like that, i'd stop going.
Precisely and it's why I stopped racing.

I ALWAYS preferred 540 to Stock, and I have trophys from both.

The fact is many clubs are run by people suffering little man syndrome so now many club meetings and in fact forum posts are more political than a liberal party convention.

This is what our sport has become.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nexxus
540 promotes driver skill and budget racing, that will NEVER be accepted

Why?

because AARCMCC / track owners etc are backed by Hobby Stores, Wholesalers, Sponsors. These people may say they are "all about the hobby" but lets be honest it's all about

PROFIT MAXIMISATION

There is no money to be made in 540

Front end explosions, crashes, high end batteries, thats money floating around people need to spend in Stock or Mod, thats what will be backed because thats what lines pockets.

If you think your local hobby store owner is in it "for the love of the sport" rather than to line his pockets, I'd seek help now.

EVERY store owner is out to make a profit.

540 racing is NOT profitable.

Look mate,

Did i ever say that it was going to happen?
Did i ever say that it would be ACCEPTED?

NO and NO.

I simply said that 540 racing is a good way to have fun at the track whilst not having people with big wallets pushing you off the track.

i know alot about profit margins, and i understand what you are saying. Nothing exists unless it makes reasonable money. However that does not contradict what i am saying, at the end of the day RC car racing sparks an attraction usually based on fun.

Yes the LHS owner is in it to line his pockets and not for the love of the sport, thats why he owns a business. Thats like saying woolworths workers are in the job because they have a love for fresh food...I beg to differ.

I trust you now see my point.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

because AARCMCC / track owners etc are backed by Hobby Stores, Wholesalers, Sponsors. These people may say they are "all about the hobby" but lets be honest it's all about
I would like you retract this statement, as AARCMCC has no involvement, financially or other wise in how your local club runs its club meetings. This sort of comment is showing your ignorance to the whole racing scene and how self engrossed you have become.
I think that you will find the club is being run to bring more into the sanctioned classes rather then what happened at the nationals a few years ago of no one turning up.

540 does have its place, it can be cheap effective way of bring new comers into the sport when a club runs novice. What turns my stomach is when I hear all the gripping about how much stock costs to run from drivers who have thousands of dollars of equipment on their table.

I remember a young Simon Nicholson (knee high to a grass hoper at the time) racing in 540 off road and destroying everyone around. All the comments I heard from a lot of drivers was how he cheated with his motors, but no compliments on how well he drove and set-up the cars. Funny how he still has that talent in the premium classes in Australia today.

If 540 is to be recognised at any time, I believe it should be for the more novice drivers and a cheap class to run, so cars and equipment should reflect this so the new comer isn't frightened away. Now if any 540 racer is serious about the class and claims it is the fun thing to do, I am sure they won't mind going back to cheap basic equipment, including radios, speed controls and chassis. No carbon fibre, no unobtainium shocks, no super top end radios, basic cheap fun gear we all most likely started with.

Peter Ellis
AARCMCC President
Old 01-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastolfart
I would like you retract this statement, as AARCMCC has no involvement, financially or other wise in how your local club runs its club meetings. This sort of comment is showing your ignorance to the whole racing scene and how self engrossed you have become.
I think that you will find the club is being run to bring more into the sanctioned classes rather then what happened at the nationals a few years ago of no one turning up.

540 does have its place, it can be cheap effective way of bring new comers into the sport when a club runs novice. What turns my stomach is when I hear all the gripping about how much stock costs to run from drivers who have thousands of dollars of equipment on their table.

I remember a young Simon Nicholson (knee high to a grass hoper at the time) racing in 540 off road and destroying everyone around. All the comments I heard from a lot of drivers was how he cheated with his motors, but no compliments on how well he drove and set-up the cars. Funny how he still has that talent in the premium classes in Australia today.

If 540 is to be recognised at any time, I believe it should be for the more novice drivers and a cheap class to run, so cars and equipment should reflect this so the new comer isn't frightened away. Now if any 540 racer is serious about the class and claims it is the fun thing to do, I am sure they won't mind going back to cheap basic equipment, including radios, speed controls and chassis. No carbon fibre, no unobtainium shocks, no super top end radios, basic cheap fun gear we all most likely started with.

Peter Ellis
AARCMCC President
mate i totally aggree, i believe it has its place as much as any other class does. After all people have to start somewhere.

I just had to have my 2 bobs worth after what that other guy said. im sure u realise what i said was true.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Tech Initiate

There appears to be a lot of antagonism against 540.Why cant people remember that this class was a national class up until 2 or 3 years ago. It has always been a good class to get people involved in R/C particularly Offroad. Also remember that a couple of our current top modified drivers started in 540 and have National Titles to remember those days. I refer especially to Painy and Molky.amongst others. I wonder if they feel that they have never been a National Title holder.
I beleive there is a way to run a 540 class and still keep it restricted to drivers who do not have the ability to be able to run competitively in staok or modified.
If we do not reintroduce 540 to the Nationals then we are taking a backward step by discouraging young and inexperienced drivers to compete at a MAJOR event.
So instead of fighting obout whether the class should or should not be included as a full National class lets get our thinking caps on and come up with some way for it to be run.
There has been discussion about age, cost and other considerations. I believe that it would be possible to restrict the class. This could be done when an entry for 540 is recieved by the organising club they then contact the drivers hame club to ascertain that drivers ability. The onus would then fall on the home club to be honest with their reply.
The other point for the upcoming Nationals is it is a demonastration class. If this is the case then under ARRMMAC rules there would not be a cross entry situation if someone wanted to run 2WD 540 ans also run 4WD Stock, Seniors or Modified.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

There appears to be a lot of antagonism against 540.Why cant people remember that this class was a national class up until 2 or 3 years ago. It has always been a good class to get people involved in R/C particularly Offroad. Also remember that a couple of our current top modified drivers started in 540 and have National Titles to remember those days. I refer especially to Painy and Molky.amongst others. I wonder if they feel that they have never been a National Title holder.
I beleive there is a way to run a 540 class and still keep it restricted to drivers who do not have the ability to be able to run competitively in staok or modified.
If we do not reintroduce 540 to the Nationals then we are taking a backward step by discouraging young and inexperienced drivers to compete at a MAJOR event.
So instead of fighting obout whether the class should or should not be included as a full National class lets get our thinking caps on and come up with some way for it to be run.
There has been discussion about age, cost and other considerations. I believe that it would be possible to restrict the class. This could be done when an entry for 540 is recieved by the organising club they then contact the drivers hame club to ascertain that drivers ability. The onus would then fall on the home club to be honest with their reply.
The other point for the upcoming Nationals is it is a demonastration class. If this is the case then under ARRMMAC rules there would not be a cross entry situation if someone wanted to run 2WD 540 ans also run 4WD Stock, Seniors or Modified.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Elite

argee42
Please read the last paragraph in my post again.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have said this earlier in the thread but it seems it needs to be said again.

Thats is exactly what the beginner/novice class should be and that is how I started 13 years ago.

540 pro is a race against motor doctors, people that buy 10 plus silver cans at a time and spend countless hrs tunning them to get more performance. All sort of things can be done to get more performance including magnet zapping, dropping, tweaking, squeezing I have even seen them with 23T armatures in them that you would never tell have been opened.

I found the rules of stock 27T rebuildable brushed motors was a more level playing field, I was not prepaired to do the above myself and the end result was that I was greatly output powered. In stock I buy a motor put it in the car and run. I don't need an expensive dyno or rebuilding drive train to insure it is as free as possible every few runs.

I found mod was way to expensive, lots of wear on the drive train and lots of replaced parts such as diffs, outdrives ect.

540 for beginners that haven't been exposed to or learnt the motor tricks 540is great. It is where most people start myself included but not for experienced racers that bend the rules to achieve much great performance out of the silver cans.

IMO I also found a well set up car with a silver can was boring, only lifting the throttle for one corner isn't challanging. The extra power in stock is enough to keep things interesting whilst not causing excessive wear, again no motor doctors to complete with.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Frozenpod, I can't believe you think all stock motors are created equal. Check the Dyno figures on the can next time you buy one.

Theres heaps you can do to a stocky to make it go. Zapping, brushes, advancing apparent timing using the flux centre in the magnets etc etc. My recent stock motors from a mob that I shall not name were woeful. No grunt, no top end. I got so sick of trying to get the sweet ratio that I binned the motor in disgust. I wouldn't even put it in a basher it was that bad.

By the tampering argument, the only true level playing field is modified, as it's governed by just how fast the cars can go, and whilst this is a great equalizer, it costs heaps in other areas.

If a career 540 racer enters an event, and their club can vouch for them. Let them enter. If they have been racing Mod and just want to beat Newbies, keep them out. If they have already won and successfully defended their title, maybe keep them out too on the grounds that they need a new challenge.

Handout motors are the easy way to get around motor tampering at majors, and as for what people spend on accessories, well that's their business. If I want to race my 540 using my 3PK, rather than my 15yr old Accoms I reckon that's my business. My 3PK does not make me a better driver, nor will it ever. That's what practice is for.

Having to turn up to the track with receipts under $200 to race 540 is naive. It's not that complex to level the playing field. If someone is ballistic, check their motor. If it's doing more than 17,500 RPM it's illegal. if it's not they may just be a good driver.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

look fellas, the point is, a 540 class would have rather positive effects on the sport and attract alot of newcomers as it wuld be cheap and fun. at the end of the day all newcomers just want to have fun.

they could upgrade to other classes at their own pace.

BRING 540 BACK!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Firstly Anthony on road and off road has very different grip levels and the power out of a corner is also very different. Also remember this thread is about running 540 at the nats not on club days and you have to assume that all racers at the nats will have the best accessories and the cost of a motor will be extremely small compared with the cost of travel, accomidation, tyres, bodies, bearings, batteries ect.

Frozenpod, I can't believe you think all stock motors are created equal. Check the Dyno figures on the can next time you buy one.

Theres heaps you can do to a stocky to make it go. Zapping, brushes, advancing apparent timing using the flux centre in the magnets etc etc. My recent stock motors from a mob that I shall not name were woeful. No grunt, no top end. I got so sick of trying to get the sweet ratio that I binned the motor in disgust. I wouldn't even put it in a basher it was that bad.

No motors are ever exactly the same exactly the same rule applies to batteries.

Everyone racing stock competitively either buys tuned motors that are already zapped aligned ect or they had the time and tools to do it themselves. What is allowed is the same for everyone and the tuning/rebuilding is reasonble and 99% of racers compete by the rules. I have never bought a tuned motor that was not competitive, sure there was the odd one that was a touch better but the differences were very very small compared with what I saw in the silver cans.

Handout motors are the easy way to get around motor tampering at majors, and as for what people spend on accessories, well that's their business. If I want to race my 540 using my 3PK, rather than my 15yr old Accoms I reckon that's my business. My 3PK does not make me a better driver, nor will it ever. That's what practice is for.

A radio with digital trims does makes a difference (the biggest difference from radio gear IMO), more precise adjustment and not have the neutral/adjustpoint point knobs bumped/moved whilst the radio is in the transmitter compound. Going out on the track to find everything is not as it was left always results in a bad run. Hence even the radio makes a small overall difference, and as this is racing everything counts.

Having to turn up to the track with receipts under $200 to race 540 is naive. It's not that complex to level the playing field. If someone is ballistic, check their motor. If it's doing more than 17,500 RPM it's illegal. if it's not they may just be a good driver.

Thankyou, you have just confirmed exactly what I was saying, everyone I raced against have silver cans that were 22,000 to 23,000rpm, I have even seen one motor that pulled 29,000rpm. I never achieved anywhere near the power and my silver cans were typically around 16,000rpm. I did have one silver can that achieved was 19,000rpm, I did nothing to it, it was just heaps better out of the box.

As for running in silver cans I found it typically took 30 hrs for the brushes to seat. It was a lot of stuffing around and ignoring the speed I rather buy a $55 stock motor than spend 30 hrs running in a motor.

If you use hand out motors at the nats I can imagine guys would spend countless hrs perfecting seating the brushess as fast as possible so that they are seated by the time the hit the track. Again the 540 war continues.

Last edited by frozenpod; 01-16-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastolfart

Peter Ellis
AARCMCC President

AARCMCC is an organisation with numerous members, so no I would not retract and say there is "No Hobby Store influence" because there is, some members are closely affiliated with / or own Hobby Stores or are sponsored by them etc, and their decisions are influenced by this. I will say that not all members (ie yourself) are influenced by corporate greed but that's as far as I will go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.