Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wet Weather Racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

you guys should appreciate the rain we dont have that luck up here in queensland
Old 11-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dallasv8
they even race electric offroad in the uk when its wet,just go look at the pics on www.oople.com
Yer but its always raining in the UK, so they have to
Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 PM
B4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I'm not mistaken Australia is still the driest continent so let's face it we're hardly likely to do anywhere near as much damp or rain running as say the UK. Therefor how can anyone justify setting up for rain running in this country at least at clubby level.

I'm as pissed as the next person when the race days rolls around and it has to be canned because of rain, but there are alternatives like moving to another weekend etc.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

a wet track is ok to drive on unless there are puddles of water. as soon as there are actual puddles of water its a bad idea to drive on the track. otherwise if the track is just wet and has the water absorbed into it making it more slippery, then its fine to drive on. i've driven plenty of times in the rain and NO water got inside the car at all, then when i drove in the puddles water got in, and shorted my gtx, lol, which amazingly still lives today.

so if its pouring down non stop and will be so for a long period of time driving is a bad idea. if it rains and then dies down, or is light rain, RACE!!! only reason i stopped driving in the rain sometimes is because the 3pk gets wet and i dont want $400 bucks to short out on me!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

servo and esc ,,,FRANGERS all round
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugenville
Why is it if there's a hint of rain Nitro onroads go running to pack there gear and won't run , IMO this is a cop out and we should run in no matter what weather conditions prevail, after all it is racing no matter what the condition thow at us. I'm sure others in the world run in adverse conditions. Have we all gone soft

If you read the original post correctly it refers to Nitro cars there is no reference to electric cars at all.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

In my real car (1:1 that is), I have a 2.5' dent in the side, just below the door because of rain. My car was parked behind our pit area, which was behind a chain wire fence. A pro tourer got some water into the rx pack and off it shot, straight down the track at full noise, under the fence, through our pit area and SMACK! Into my car. If that tourer had hit someone in the ankle, it would have broken bones for sure.

Now you can say that he should have water proofed the rx, but the fact is he didnt and many others wont. I dont blame the guy for it happening, I blame racing in the rain. Whilst I may prep my car correctly, I know that someone wont.

That was a gas car and that gas car could have done some serious injury to a person. No, you shouldnt race in the wet.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hit the nail on the head mate!

Originally Posted by TomB
come on guys running in the rain is stupid full stop.

why?

because this is a hobby, and we do this part time, it costs alot of time to prepare a car for the wet, and if it isn't prepared properly it takes alot of time to clean it up to avoid rust, ukfayed bearings, wet recievers busted batteries etc.

another thing is, if the car is NOT prepared properly it can create alot of damage. Not everyone knows how to prepare a wet car to avoid broken parts, and not all racers are avid readers of every little tid bit of advice available on the net, and neither should they be expected to be.

When you start creating racing conditions and rules that requires someone to invest alot of time to preprepare for weird racing conditions as well as spending extra time during and after a race to get a car back to ok conditions (to avoid broken parts etc) then you scare people of and you create a situation where only the AVID, DIE HARD racers stay in the game.

keep it simple, avoid increasing the costs, and keep in mind the less hardcore guys in the sport also. If you miss a race due to rain, bear with it.

finally, guys run in the rain in the worlds and other such events because it is a serious calibre event where the entrants are expected to be expeirienced and well prepared. THE NITRO INTERCLUB IS NOT THE WORLDS, NOR ANYTHING SIMILAR....pritty obvious really, it's a fun EASY TO MANAGE (from the racers perspective), event.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xr Turbo
If you read the original post correctly it refers to Nitro cars there is no reference to electric cars at all.
meh......... nitros for kids anyways
we run our ELECTRIC cars in the wet and we have much more expensive and delicate parts that nitro and in some cases (modified brushless) they go just as quick if not quicker than most nitro cars

tuck ya skirts in fella s, push out ya chests and get out there and enjoy them. just have to drive a little more conservative. it will separate the good drivers from the pansies who dont want to get there cars dirty
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To all those who dont like running in the rain GO HOME. to the rest of us who look at every other form of racing where they run regardless of conditions should be given the chance to race if we like, some venues wont even allow us to do this .

Pussies I'd run me road car in mud if i had the chance to hack somebody.

Thats just my 50 cents worth .

Go 50 , its ya birthday>
Old 11-11-2007, 05:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

My Baja has been through up to 20cm of water, as long as it aint salt water it's no drama for me. In fact, if it comes home clean.... something broke!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you rock
Old 11-11-2007, 05:22 PM
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xr Turbo
The heading says wet weather racing.

Nitro racest, these nothin quite like blowing up $300 esc's
Old 11-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ROV
The heading says wet weather racing.

Nitro racest, these nothin quite like blowing up $300 esc's
That was only my heading, the post refer'd to nitro racing, read things properly before making comments, still see no problem running in the rain, as you can get wet weather foams, water proof your electronic gear and as for your bearings and car rusting up, if you do your maintance after a MEET, rust a nd other problems that have said should have a nil issue
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Why would you want to put a $3000 plus car out on the track if it is raining? We all know these cars handle like cr@p in the rain..and even with a rain set-up it isnt much better.

As TomB said...you are going to get rust and corrosion in your bearings and screws and other parts.

For a normal club event. I wouldn't run in the rain...but if it was a bit occasion...then I would, as theres something to drive for. But at club level, why?.

If they cancel the race meet because of rain and everyone goes home..it doesn't mean you cant go out there and practice/trash your car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.