Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EP OFF ROAD 19TURN FOR ALL

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The idea is for a stepping stone between the 2 classes. We already have a 19turn class for the over 40's. This idea was to provide a level in between for all. There are the guys at the top end of modified who are in a league of their own. My opinion is to have an open class for the talent to come through. Most of todays top mod drivers came through group 20 which in its own was a great class.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It would not be adding another class, people in general are suggesting to open up an already existing class which is seniors and simply renaming it 19 turn to allow everyone to run in it should they choose.

Some people dont want to run modified, I think if you were to ask some seasoned veterans that run at the top end of mod they would also agree that it is a big jump currently from stock to mod.

The last thing I would want to be doing is getting in the way of the top guys whilst coming to grips with the power supplied by current brushless and batteries out there. 19 turn is an in between class that you can spend a season or two in and then progress up into mod if consistent enough.

I'm all for it and would support it fully.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Nice comeback eames chair, (What kind of nick is that anyway? Looks like an incoherent one, lest a spelling mistake.) you fail to realise I decimated your initial insignificant, negative post.

19 turn is here, this thread is to discuss it, not degrade the class.

As for me, I'm happy to hide from mod for as long as I can.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by too twisted
What do the masses think of running an open for all ages 19 turn class?
Originally Posted by The Fuhrer
Nice comeback eames chair, (What kind of nick is that anyway? Looks like an incoherent one, lest a spelling mistake.) you fail to realise I decimated your initial insignificant, negative post.

19 turn is here, this thread is to discuss it, not degrade the class.

As for me, I'm happy to hide from mod for as long as I can.
The first post asks a question, which I answered.
It was not a negative post, some people like idea, i don't, so be it.

As for you decimating my post, whatever rocks your boat

As for my name look it up, maybe on google, you might learn some culture
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I beleive that we need a "stepping stone" from stock to mod. This will very easily fill the gap. I have seen people leave this sport because of the gap between them.

I also beleive that we need to look at perhaps limiting the motors to "brushed" type. People dont have $300+ to spend on a esc and motor and possibly have it either thermal or say snap a rotor (ive seen too many of these). This would only be detramentral to the hobby/sport. "Hey i got a $400 brushless motor and speedie. Oops! thats not right, damn, stuff it, to much money, im leaving". Thats not good for the hobby as a whole.

KISS; keep it simple stupid.

Thats my bit for this

Simon
Old 09-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Tom
Tech Regular

Speaking from a 2wd point of view, how much faster is mod tq from stock tq? 5-10seconds over 5min? Why would we need a class in between them?

They did this to onroad and it was great for a year and then it turned out to be the class to enter if you couldn't make the A final in stock. Look at the results and entries and you will find all but the top 2 or so drivers in 19 are slower then the A stock group. Some were making 19 turn A finals and were lapping -1 lap on stock TQ! Hence it is being droped from summer/winter nats etc...

We should be allowing brushless stock instead. Brushless is here to stay and if you say its to expensive then your not running brushed stock competitively. Brushless is like a personal transponder, you will never go back...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tom
Speaking from a 2wd point of view, how much faster is mod tq from stock tq? 5-10seconds over 5min? Why would we need a class in between them?

They did this to onroad and it was great for a year and then it turned out to be the class to enter if you couldn't make the A final in stock. Look at the results and entries and you will find all but the top 2 or so drivers in 19 are slower then the A stock group. Some were making 19 turn A finals and were lapping -1 lap on stock TQ! Hence it is being droped from summer/winter nats etc...

We should be allowing brushless stock instead. Brushless is here to stay and if you say its to expensive then your not running brushed stock competitively. Brushless is like a personal transponder, you will never go back...
Maybe a lap and 5-10 seconds quicker? Look not everyone will agree and its great to hear the feedback.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

From a personal standpoint - I dont beleive there is a need for a separate class for seniors - be it 19 turn or any motor for that matter. As correctly pointed out above the top "seniors" are often amongst the quick guys guys anyway. Just award the top three seniors in whatever class a trophy for their efforts......this would probably give another round of qualifying to just about any meeting. It would also allow bragging rights for us old buggers to say we finished in the "A" anyway against all the youngsters!

As for 19 Turn as another class.... The motors would be a perfect combination of speed and torque. That being said - all it will do is reduce the numbers in stock and or mod. Thats not something that is needed - or do we have enough numbers ruinning off road now to allow this?

I am only just coming back to off road after quite a while off - so I am honestly not 100% sure on just how big the numbers are. Judging by the recent interclub here in Canberra though - it looks pretty healthy. Change for the sake of change is pointless..... a better solution would be to build the numbers up at a club level before giving another choice of class.

Just a couple of thoughts - again - no offence intended to any of the "flammable" personalities that are sometimes here!

Cheers

Darryn Johnson
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Darryn,

We just about all run 19turn at club meets in canberra anyway. At least those of us running truck do
Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Where were you guys last year?? The club challenge had 19T class with about 4 drivers,whom I "decimated".
We were all from the one club.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Tom
They did this to onroad and it was great for a year
I thought we were talking off road, the on road guys are such a fickle bunch.

some were making 19 turn A finals and were lapping -1 lap on stock TQ! Hence it is being droped from summer/winter nats etc...
The actual reason behind 19 turn being dropped from the On Road meetings you are comparing is that no one wanted to spend money on batteries (LiPo) and chargers for 2 non sanctioned race meetings only.
Now take a comparison of the overal entries for those 2 meetings and compare them to previous years and it will tell the true story as overal entries were down severly. The organisers for those 2 meetings are looking at a way of trying to get numbers back up and has too try a different method of doing so, thus 5 cell mod instead of the 19 turn class fro next year to cater for the number of mod drivers that weren't on the invite list.
On Road in a decline, off road is in a growth period

We should be allowing brushless stock instead. Brushless is here to stay
I agree with this, but the BIG BUT - how do we control the motor in the control motor classes?
Till we have an almost fool proof way of checking the brushless motors for legality like we have for 27 t stock, it will be an issue that will get out of control before you know it. This is being worked on currently, so I hope that a possitive solution will be available soon.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RadMaxx
Where were you guys last year?? The club challenge had 19T class with about 4 drivers,whom I "decimated".
We were all from the one club.
some of us were complete novices last year dude. My very first real race meet outside of a few clubbies was St Ives Rd2.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:52 AM
Tech Regular

I just wanted to say decimated.We were running 19T at club level (Castle Hill).The numbers were good but, modified numbers were down so we had to combine them anyway.I've run 19T in Mod for 2 years and it gives you something to blame.