Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet Racing in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Painy
guys.. who would fund the carpet.. insurance.. ect ect .. venue.. 12th scale would suck on anything other than smooth seamkles carpet.. are you going to unrole it? storage.. ect ect

wont happen guys.
10th TC would be the priority, 12th scale is on the wish list.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

What happened to the carpet from Hurstville? Who organised that racing and where in Hurstville?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what about on astro-turf. can make it an on road and off road track.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GymBeam
what about on astro-turf. can make it an on road and off road track.
Sounds good, but, can TC's run on Astroturf ok?

I don't mind running the show if I have support. I would be more than happy to see on road and off road running at the same venu. After all, it is about making most people happy (you can't make everyone happy)

I think that ACT is a very good example of a club supporting racers and if it can work down there, it can work up here.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eggyolkeo
Does it have to be on carpet though? How would it go just on like an indoor basketball court or something?

Maybe we could hire a school hall. Use some of the gym equipment to make an 'off-road' track with ramps etc!
The old sutherland PCYC offroad club used to run indoor nights every couple months on their basketball court, we used to race buggies running foam tyres that we coated in silicon. It was great fun but probably wouldn't keep the numbers week in week out. Tourers and 12th could run on astroturf (there are a few options both indoor and outdoor in the shire) but the grip wouldnt be the same as carpet
Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

You cant seriously want to run touring cars and 12th scale on astroturf can you?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
You cant seriously want to run touring cars and 12th scale on astroturf can you?
Maybe they could run it around your mouth it's big enough
Old 07-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

how bout this, if you don't have something constructive to add why don't you not say anything at all?

we want to run on carpet, but astroturf is a compromise that avoids the joins associated with a temporary capet surface
Old 07-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

what i am trying to get at and take this as constructively as possible, is that astroturf is just silly. Yeah you could run on it but you could also run on a dusty floor, you could run on pillows, you could run on a polished shiny floor with tacks all over it but is it worthwhile? not really.

Yes it may be a place to go and have a burn but most racers want to race and race on tracks that are the same surface or much like that of the pro tracks and are actually able to be raced on. It may have a few people for a little while but then as I said before, without a serious effort with proper setups whats the point?

Run on astroturf if you like, be plebs all your life and be the hacks you've always aspired to be cause its fun! Fun to have some clown hack you cause its fun! WOOHOO! $50 bucks a race on broken parts cause its FUN WOOOOOOHOOOOOO
Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Addict

I am being constructive and telling you astroturf for touring cars and on road in general wont work.

You just dont want to hear that your idea is dogshit
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you could get a transponder system, i reckon you should make it personals only :P

I also reckon astro turf would be a waste of time, but ive never tried it.
If someone is bored take some videos of something which works with a mod car. No point in running a club which can only support 540s. But there are so many different kinds of astroturf available.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I doubt the astro-turf would be that good for touring and 12th scale... great for off-road though
Old 07-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by robot
Maybe they could run it around your mouth it's big enough
There's got to be a mum joke in there somewhere... I'll leave it with you boys to come up with some good ones though..
Old 07-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

You just dont want to hear that your idea is dogshit
well it wasn't my idea, but the astroturf i'm thinking of is just like marine carpet. Not sure if you've ever played indoor soccer, but that surface wouldn't be a waste of time... finding an indoor sports place that would let you run little cars around on their floors might prove problematic
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
The old sutherland PCYC offroad club used to run indoor nights every couple months on their basketball court, we used to race buggies running foam tyres that we coated in silicon.
I wouldn't suggest running silicon capped foam tyres on a basketall court nowadays - it's a dumber idea than astroturf as the marbles are super slippery. Just wait for the first broken limb and watch the club/venue go under from the public liability claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.