Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
The Great Australian Bash >

The Great Australian Bash

The Great Australian Bash

Old 07-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the club would have to have a purpose built track right?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Because of size and location
The Gold Coast Track would be good for northern NSW (tamworth even)
and SE QLD

Plenty of Room But SHELTERS a Must if run in SUMMER

Good Concept
Keeping track of what Class should be on the track could be a problem
But could sorted out by Coloured Flags or Numbers for each class or something like that.

shane
Old 07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

tamworth would be good, hmm maybe you could hold it in december? if so do it at the gold coast lol ill be up there with the 1/5th.

na but id def travel to gold coast or tamworth for a race like this.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Swamp Rat
Because of size and location
The Gold Coast Track would be good for northern NSW (tamworth even)
and SE QLD

Plenty of Room But SHELTERS a Must if run in SUMMER
Yes, the GC "track" would be perfect due it's design, size and location but unfortunately they lack facilities. If they get powered, sheltered pit area's then I think it would be a great venue, but it's up to the club.Also the host club will need to be capable of running and handling a big event like this and I feel the GC club is not in a position to do so at this point. Tamworth is a club to consider, as are many others, but they need to show interest first as I think it would be considered rude of me to ask.

[/QUOTE]Good Concept
Keeping track of what Class should be on the track could be a problem
But could sorted out by Coloured Flags or Numbers for each class or something like that.

shane[/QUOTE]

There would be a mix of classes racing, the idea is to not only have to drive consistantly but have a good stratagey as well as tyre management plan. The concept is to try and promote a team atmosphere as well as a bit of friendly rivalry. The good thing is clubs can send there reps, ie: Logan Team 1, 2, 3 to compete against, say Whalan Teams 1,2,3. as well as against each other. How the teams are made up is completely open and in which order your team decides to run is open as well.

I know some will complain about having 540 novice drivers out there amongst sponsored mod guy's, but it adds to the driving skill and patience that will be required.

Middle of summer and middle of winter would probably be out for running this type of event, I want to make it as enjoyable as possible for everyone.

Any suggestions please feel free to hand em' out too guy's.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'd be interested in travelling from Perth (and perhaps some others will too) for an event like this.

Suggestions:

Make the event $40-50 per driver, put on some GOOD awards/prizes and a feed on the night. Or get some T-shirts made for the event, ea driver gets one.

how about make the enduro 40min per driver (4 drivers in team) 40x4 = 160 = 2.4hrs (1:10 of 24hr)? scrap the battery change windows (unlimited batt changes) and any motor combo allowed. Hell even allow the team to use the same single car if they want over the 2.4hrs, as long as all 4 drivers drive their 40 min stint? have a 5min driver change'over window... no tyre changes. hehe

just throwing in ideas. sounds pretty awesome though!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

James, it would be great to get a team from Perth, it would be great to get teams form all over the country.

A dinner/bbq/roast is on the books for the Saturday night and your idea of T-Shirts is a good one. It'll all depend on costs but it's possible.

I have made some changes to the race scheduling in order to cater for a brushless class and to try and break things up a little and give everyone a chance to spectate as much as race. Also I didn't clarify the race plan too well and after re-reading it it appears I am going to try and fit 30 drivers on the stand and 30 cars on the track, would make for some interesting racing though

Ill spell it out a little later as to the specific running of the race meet.

Im getting some good feed back, but I still haven't had any interest from any clubs.

Cheers
Aaron
Old 07-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

do you know what is costs to run a pro tourer for 1.5hr.

1 brand new motor (cheap motors not competitive)
2-3 sets of tyres
2L of good fuel
and that is not even getting into the worn out parts.

i can guess a few mods speedys and motors them thermaling. so is it even worth going to run i dont think so.

the only track that would be able to cater for the numbers and equipment would be brendale.

plus brendale has already run a 4hr enduro and would of kept on going but the transponders failed.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

fairgo.

You wouldn't be running your gas car for a solid 1.5hrs, there will be 3 x 30min gas races. Tyres, well, thats up to how badly you set your car up. I remember reading a report that Mark Green (Serpent) and Chris Tosolini (Kyosho at the time) both ran a full 1hr title event final and their tyres wore perfectly, so again, the tyre issue is reallyup to how you drive.

As for the mod cars thermalling, normally this is due to trying to get the most out of the motor in a five minute period, most mod racers understand that running for 15 minutes would require sum changes to there motor set up and the 3 battery changes they will do will mean the motors get a break. There is still the possibility of thermals but thats always been the case.

I understand your concerns and can see where your coming from, but in all seriousness, if the racers set ups there respective cars for an enduro based event most will last the distance quite confertably.

As for who can host it there is a number of clubs that could, I'm not going to aproach any of them at this stage as I believe if the club is interested they'll let me know.

Cheers
Aaron

P.S. A similar event was run at the Beaudesert Club for electric 23T and 540 classes with monumental success, so it can and has been done. The event however didn't inlcude gas and was just the 4 hr enduro. This event will be slightly different, but is loosely based on the Cannonball
Old 07-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

it's a good idea dude. I'll see if our club is interested.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

Castle Hill ran a similar enduro, I think it was 1.5hours, 4 cars per team, comprising a novice, 540, mini, 19t, 2x15min runs, tyre change ok while in pit, no battery change during your 15 min slot.

It was alot of fun, Im sure that TJ could give you some words of wisdom.

My only suggestion would be to keep it simple, the more complex it becomes with points, regrades and rules, the harder it becomes to manage (let alone police rules) and people may end up losing interest.

best of luck

Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PeteB
Castle Hill ran a similar enduro, I think it was 1.5hours, 4 cars per team, comprising a novice, 540, mini, 19t, 2x15min runs, tyre change ok while in pit, no battery change during your 15 min slot.

It was alot of fun, Im sure that TJ could give you some words of wisdom.

My only suggestion would be to keep it simple, the more complex it becomes with points, regrades and rules, the harder it becomes to manage (let alone police rules) and people may end up losing interest.

best of luck

Yeh, I plan on keeping it as simple as possible, basically it'll be 4 rounds of 5 min heats each class on the Saturday and then the enduro on the following day. The enduro will consist of 3x30 min gas runs and 3 1 hour all class electric enduro's. Then the top ten teams will go on to compete in a final. A 1 hr gas final and a 1 hr all class electric final.

Basically I want to have individual achievements recognised like the top three in each class on Saturday over the 4 rounds and then the top 3 teams on Sunday with an all round winning team announced on the Sunday.

It's to try and have an event that is aimed at enjoyment first, team spirit and then the individual. It'll give those who normally can't compete with the top guy's for whatever reason a chance to race along side them in a team environment whilst at the same time still having that individual contest.

I have the base plan all set out, including the points system, I just need the clubs and sponsors who might be keen to let me know and then we can go forward from there.

Cheers
Aaron