Chargers RC - Yeronga Onroad >

Chargers RC - Yeronga Onroad

Chargers RC - Yeronga Onroad

Old 10-04-2003, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Spur gear

Originally posted by 5am
Can anyone help me, im having problems with my spur gears getting chewed up. the pinion and spur don't slip normally, but after a few races at yeronga ill have flat spots. these spur gears are from heavy, so if there is a stronger alternative, can someone tell me. or any other advice i should know.
I asume your using 48 pitch gears in your TA04S and not the standard gears that come with the kit. Just remember that there are different pitch gears available, that is the tooth profile and spacing are different. The standard gears in a TA04S are 0.6 module, the option is 0.4 module (both metric). Heavy only keeps 48 pitch (imperial) in stock. Pinion & spur must be the same pitch, otherwise it just won't work. Also, adjust the motor so that there is a small amount of freeplay between pinion & spur, running the mesh too tight will damage the gears, make the car go slow, use up your battery too fast or all three at once . Don't run it too loose either, or you will strip gears. Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask one of the more experianced drivers at the track for help if you need it.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Guys, if you're making sure your gears are meshing correctly (ie there should be a tiny bit of play between your pinion and spur) you should certainly not be chewing them at yeronga. No real debris to kill them after all!

I have seen instructiuon manuals (tamiya I think) suggest you should put a piece of plastic or paper in between the spur and the pinion when you push them together - which makes it sit not so snugly.

I plan on being at Logan next weekend (please tell me it's next weekend, not this weekend) - I figure I should have a run at a meet over there and get some kind of setup if I plan on being any sort of chance on titles day. Undecided on 540 or stock but most likely 540 if I can get my hands on a couple of new motors in time.

Sounds like I will see some of you there.

-Scott
Old 10-04-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default RACING AT LOGAN

Hi Guys,

There is a practice night at Meakin park this Wednesday night, weather permitting.

Racing is this saturday NIGHT 11 OF OCTOBER, originally it was set down for a Sunday day time, but because of the running of the Bathurst race, the committee decided to go back to running it on the Saturday night.

Sam get the bloody foams will, you, don't rely on Heavy being there, if you want i will buy you a pair and you can fix me up on the night, just incase heavy doesn't make it.

Weather for the week, says rain all week clearing Friday night, so hopefully they have got it right and racing at Meakin park will be a goer.

Scott and Jason, it would be excellent if you could make it down to meakin park, the more good drivers the better in our class, keeps us all on our toes.

Though watch out if Sam gets his foam!! lol
Old 10-04-2003, 05:42 PM
5am
Tech Adept

Brad,
ill take front 42, rear 40 to go thanx

yeah that would be good if u can get me that, just tell me how much and its a done deal.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:45 PM
5am
Tech Adept

Also my pinion and spur are meshed well and thats the reason i can't understand why the are getting chewed up. i think i might try another brand of gears, rather than heavy's and see if it makes a difference. if anyone wants to post some places i can get them and possibly prices, that would be great.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default TYRES

Hi Sam,

I have been using 40 front and 35 rears, but i can get you that if you want, no problems i will get for you, it should cost arpound $40 - 45. Though i think heavy sell them cheaper.

Sam we will look at your car saturday night, i am sure something isn't right, my experience with the TAO4 is that it seems it is meshing all the way, when in fact it isn't, so shen yo uallow for a bit of clearance, you atcually start to chew up the spur. yo uare running a 48 pitch spour and 48 pitch pinion aren't you
Old 10-04-2003, 08:08 PM
5am
Tech Adept

yeah i know about pitches and all that and i am running 48 on both.

about the foams, heavy recommended the 42-40, and nathan got 42-38 and his wore too quickly, so i think ill take the 42-40
Old 10-04-2003, 11:58 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I WILL be there on Sat night as usual and on this Wed night.

There is no chance that Kimborough spurs are faulty they will only wear like that if you are using teh wrong pitch pinion or meshing incorrectly.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:50 AM
5am
Tech Adept

yes, i think the problem is probably something else. i will see what brad has to say before i buy anything else. he said there is a common problem with the TA04 spur's.
Sam we will look at your car saturday night, i am sure something isn't right, my experience with the TAO4 is that it seems it is meshing all the way, when in fact it isn't, so shen yo uallow for a bit of clearance, you atcually start to chew up the spur. yo uare running a 48 pitch spour and 48 pitch pinion aren't you
Old 10-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by 5am
yes, i think the problem is probably something else. i will see what brad has to say before i buy anything else. he said there is a common problem with the TA04 spur's.
Are you running the orginal plastic spur mounting hub or the alloy one? its possible you might have a problem there... check the mesh all the way around the spur... spurs are NEVER perfectly round anyway and if you have a problem with the hub itself it might make it worse... you might have near perfect mesh at one spot but too loose or too tight at another

I've been running an 04-R for nearly 12 months now and have NEVER chewed a spur, and I've raced some places where its not exactly the cleanest, with motors with 9 or 10 turns at times

The .04 (64) pitch gears work nicely for mods on anything and stocks on most tracks, though tracks like logan might be pushing it a bit... if you are running 540 then 48 pitch is pretty much a "must have" to get decent roll-outs... I personally run 48P for Stock and .04 for mods

hope there is something useful in all that for you
Old 10-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry guys,
I don't mean to get this thread back on track to the subject of Yeronga racing but

It looks like I've converted my Cousin from Darwin from flying planes (that crash and take weeks to fix) to racing Minis (almost unbreakable).
.....And it only took two races last friday night to do it too.

Spring Series Round 1 results Posted on web last night

www.chargersrc.com
Old 10-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

david, where's team ippy's points?
but anyways.
who will be participating at qld titles?
Old 10-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Tech Regular

Default QLD Titles

I'll have a go at the QLD titles, and I hope to see many of the yerongarians there - Don't be put off by it being a big meeting.

The atmosphere will be great, heaps of people there watching and racing

A great format and plenty of time between races.

+ If you ever wanted to know how you'd go against the best in Queensland and Interstate - now's your chance.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:36 AM
Tech Master

I'll be there. Definitely running 540, possibly stock as well, depending on if I can get a second car happening. We'll see.

-Scott
Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 PM
5am
Tech Adept

Yeah, i'll be there now that i have aranged for some foams, running 540. and i agree with TC321go, it would be good to see alot of the 'yerongarians' there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.