Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Screw This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Tech Adept

And yes, I'm the one who's seen (too late!) an idiot workmate borrow my favourite screwdriver to be used as a prybar... and some other idiot colleague try use my new cordless drill as a hammer.
I cant say i would have done any of those, but with the com lathe to make a screw idea, I was thinking that it would be the right size for the job and could be made to cut a screw using innovation. I had realised that it would be hard to do with the motor that it uses, but i was trying to generate a basic idea as to how to get it done, not neccesarily the way to do it.

Ill be the first one to admit that I come up with some wild and crazy ideas, but then so did alex bell. Its what keeps the world turning.

And while Im no machinist, I reckon I'd get most of those lathes right. I would just use them for something different ocasionally, if I had to.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

If there was only a on-line store like McMaster in Australia

Check this for a range of Cap Screws

Hmmm wonder how much air mail will be.. rofl... Actually how does McMaster prices compare to the place you people shop at?

Scroll down on this site for info on Tensile/Yield Strength of stainless (302/316) and 8.8, 10.9 and 12.9 (alloy) steel. Stainless maybe ok for electric, but others running Gas off-road R/C's have had them snap.

Last edited by au_Nightmare; 04-04-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 06:32 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

That McMaster site is really something! But then again, its an online store - can't visit them physically to get assistance.

Imho stainless has not not benefit for RC cars; they're still soft enough to strip their threads.

I buy "high tensile" from Coventry for use on motor screws (both gas and electric) and for suspension components. Chassis screws etc don't really need HT, but sometimes HT is the only one stocked on the shelf.

Haven't stripped a HT thread or head yet... but some of my motor cans are starting to look deformed from overtightening!

Pricewise I think approx/under A$1 each for M3s in single quantities. (Still cheaper than buying spare screws from HPI etc!)
Old 04-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Well we could visit if they where in Australia
They have stores at Atlanta, Chicago, Cleveland, Los Angeles, New York City - Philadelphia.

Originally posted by WC
That McMaster site is really something! But then again, its an online store - can't visit them physically to get assistance.
They have some stuff on the site hey, I think it must be the biggest range of gear I have seen ever online..... Lightbulbs & Hydraulic Pumps to O-Rings and Seals and a whole lot more

Old 04-07-2003, 07:50 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by au_Nightmare
They have some stuff on the site hey, I think it must be the biggest range of gear I have seen ever online..... Lightbulbs & Hydraulic Pumps to O-Rings and Seals and a whole lot more[/B]
Wonder how much of it they actually carry in stock on a consistant basis??

Ahh, one of these days... I'm gonna go visit the US and go shopping at Sears. And Home Depot. And the real K-Mart. And Walmart.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Addict

try to eat at Carl's Jr and Green Burrito and also try eating at Jack In The Box... hehehehe

Dont shop at sears, nor JC Penney.... shop at like CostCo! Buy in BULK! Chocolates in BULK! Home Depot is quite HUGE! and K-Mart is nuts! Not a big fan of Walmart... but you must go and visit Fry's Electronics.... the biggest electronic/computer/music store in the country... its a huuuuuuuuge warehouse!
Old 04-09-2003, 04:30 AM
Tech Adept

Default .

Last edited by teamsherman; 04-10-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Addict

settle pettles...

If there was only a on-line store like McMaster in Australia

Check this for a range of Cap Screws

Hmmm wonder how much air mail will be.. rofl... Actually how does McMaster prices compare to the place you people shop at?

Scroll down on this site for info on Tensile/Yield Strength of stainless (302/316) and 8.8, 10.9 and 12.9 (alloy) steel. Stainless maybe ok for electric, but others running Gas off-road R/C's have had them snap.
Thanks night, Anyone bought anything from McMasters yet? or dont they serve overseas buyers? Please dont get into an argument that we now too have to support our local hardware store...
Old 04-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

They do ship to us as far as I know.. as for shipping.. why is EMS cheaper in some cases then normal air mail????
Old 04-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

hehehe i had a look at their stock and got dizzy, now i dont know what to get... where can i find the socket head screws?
Old 04-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

under fastners - socket head, its on the right hand side...
or click on this link
Old 04-17-2003, 09:24 PM

Default titanium mmmmmmmmmmm

if any1 would like titanium screws, email me @ [email protected] , i may be able to get alloy and stainless also but im only just investigating the whole thing right now, should be no more than a month or so til i can get stock.