1/10 electric Offroad racing at Keilor >

1/10 electric Offroad racing at Keilor

Like Tree5Likes

1/10 electric Offroad racing at Keilor

Old 08-21-2009, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Originally Posted by CMB21 View Post
Ok cool, i have a 10.5 in the XX4 atm. I have a 3.5, 8.5 and 13.5 in the spares box though. I did put the 3.5 in the car briefly it was just way to fast for off road lol.

Any ideas on whether the track will be ok for a run tomorrow arvo? We had a bit of rain in sunbury today.
Mate,

Drop in your 10.5 in 2WD,you and I will have a hacking session on the new layout!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey fellas,

great to hear the positive feedback for the track and the club. The racing scene is very healthy in Melbourne and Im very proud to see the new faces we are getting down at the track each week!

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi View Post
Any chance of someone going past the track 2morrow morning to confirm it is ok to drive on saturday afternoon?
I might drop past but not sure. If I do I will post an update.

What motors are you guys running in mod and stock???
Originally Posted by too twisted View Post
I run a 8.5 in my B4 and last meet there I ran a 7.5 in my B44, the car was a weapon. Well Rays car was a weapon mine was alot easier to drive with the 7.5.
Mick, I was running a Novak 6.5Light which is similar in hp to a 7.5 with a little more top end. It was fast, but I reckon a 10.5 is more than enough for most people. Any more hp and you wear car and tyres out faster without a big increase in laptimes.
The 3.5T should be reserved for insane speed runs only

Speaking of motors, I should have the new Novak Ballistic motors soon. Im now a Team Novak factory driver which is cool

Hope to see you guys down the track Sunday, but I wont be racing. My wife and baby girl are sick and I have been away all week with work, but Lachie and I will drop past for a short time Sunday - might even put a car down for a run on the new layout

L8r

Ray
Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Don't need to he is stalking me
Old 08-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SimonA View Post
2wd Stock here!
Welcome to the forums Simon!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Hey ray, seeing as you are mr novak and all that. Have you heard anything about them releasing new esc?
Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Default Trucks

Who out there is keen for a stadium truck day sometime after the Coleman? I know that there are heaps of them out there, but it would be great to see them all down the track on the one day!

Ray
Old 08-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi View Post
Hey ray, seeing as you are mr novak and all that. Have you heard anything about them releasing new esc?
All I know is what I read on one of the forums, where they state that they are working on a new race-spec ESC. I have no idea when it will be out and what features it will have, but Im looking forward to being able to test it!!

Ray
Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ray_munday View Post
Who out there is keen for a stadium truck day sometime after the Coleman? I know that there are heaps of them out there, but it would be great to see them all down the track on the one day!

Ray
My RT5, not too far away, be great.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Ray
yeah cool, I think I'll run mine at the Coleman...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ray
If I had one I'd be in......... Anyone have a spare XXX-T I can borrow??

Cheers

Shane
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Tech Elite

Default Tyres for Keilor

I have been doing a lot of tyre testing at keilor this year for JConcepts and would like to share my findings. My role as a factory driver is to do the hard work for you-hopefully saving you time and $$ while making you faster!!!

When the Keilor track has been blown off and is mostly dry, the correct compound is more important than the tread pattern. Very worn tyres of the correct compound will be better than new ones of the wrong compound. You dont need new rubber all the time!

I recommend stocks of the following JConcepts tyres for the following conditions:
Cold + dry/swept: - Bar Codes (blue compound)
Warm + dry/swept: Bar Codes (orange compound)
Damp or dusty: Double Dees (green compound)

JC compounds refresher:
Green : super soft (similar to proline m3)
Blue: soft (slightly firmer than proline m3)
Orange: medium (similar to losi red)
White: medium/ hard (similar to losi silver)

- Bar Codes (blue compound)
Use when the track is dry, swept and cold (< 13C, but work best 8-12C) eg the last club race. They were 0.7s/lap faster than anything else in practice (which was a chilly 8C!!). Dont use on a warm day as they will wear fast and actually grip less.

- Bar Codes (orange compound)
Use when the track is dry, swept and warm/ hot (>15C, but optimal around 20-25C). Below 20c, these need a few laps to warm up (some burnouts and slides on the warmup lap will help!). Below 15C, these will feel too hard and skaty. I have run these as slicks on a 20C day and still had fast lap times in 2w mod (some of you may remember that at a club race in May vs Matty G).
The orange compound really suits the keilor surface well when it us warm and abrasive.

- Double Dees (green compound)
Use when the track is damp or dusty. They will work best under 20C or so, but usually if it is warmer the track will dry out anyway. The round profile of the tyre makes it ride smoothly through bumps and the pins dig through into the base.
When the track is dry warm and swept, they will have high peak grip but feel a bit strange as the pins move around on the surface. They will wear much faster than orange bar codes in these conditions.
(At the recent ROAR nats some team drivers were making low profile flat
versions by removing a few rows of pins and re-gluing. Ill try this
soon and post results.)

2wd vs 4wd:
The above notes refer to 2wd/ 4wd rear and 4wd front tyres. I try to use the same compound f+r on 4wd.

With 2wd, i often use a firmer front compound when it is really grippy. When warm, i usually run white compound bar codes on the front as this smooths out the steering. When it is really cold, i will still run blue fronts.
Alternatives: losi taper pins. These work well but have a much lower tread height which means more wear and they also lose grip with any dust on the track.
I very rarely use ribs at keilor as they make the car hook, but if it is damp or very dusty i will use JC groovys. If it is warm and dusty, Bar Codes will work. At the ROAR nats, they were using cut down Double Dees for the front and I will be trying that soon as well...

Inserts (note: I forgot to add this initially, edited 22/8)
The inserts that come with JC tyres (the And-1 foams) are quite firm and as long as you have the correct compound, should work fine. However, I have found that when the track is grippy, 2-stage inserts (cut to 45mm width) help stabilise the car through the bumpy corners - they stop the tyre from rolling over and the rims digging into the ground. When the track has been recently rolled it isnt an issue. I would say that this is a tuning option rather than a necessity.

Truck:
For truck, basically follow the 4wd recommendations. I havent had a chance to run my truck at keilor but at wodonga i ran holeshots when the track was moist and bar codes when it was dry. I hope to do some truck testing at keilor soon.

Other tracks:
Keilor is very hard and abrasive compared to a lot of tracks, therefore a harder compound is required. You may find the compounds are suitable at higher temperatures at other tracks (eg Blue may be suitable up to 20C at a track like Wodonga).

Ive attached some lap time results from the last club race at Keilor. It was a very cold day. Note how much faster the Blue Bar codes were when it was very cold – they were amazingly good, but they didn’t get faster as the day warmed up. The Orange Bar Codes started to work at 13-14C, but were really slow at 8C. Double Dees were consistent across the temperature range but started to wear at 15C.

I hope this helps you out with your racing. I know JC tyres arent the easiest to obtain just now, but you will see a lot more in the shops soon. Keep pestering your lhs if they dont stock them!!!

L8r

Ray
Attached Thumbnails 1/10 electric Offroad racing at Keilor-jc-tyre-chart-keilor.jpg   1/10 electric Offroad racing at Keilor-cold-weather-lap-times-keilor.jpg  

Last edited by ray_munday; 08-22-2009 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Added section about inserts
Old 08-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Great report Ray

I too ran the blue Barcodes that day for the finals and posted my best times while they lasted...they were already worn before I put them on and did two finals but weren't any good for the 3rd once they had worn a pretty bald center section...looking forward to seeing more of them available locally
Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HanIce View Post
Mate,

Drop in your 10.5 in 2WD,you and I will have a hacking session on the new layout!
Just got home from work
I have to finish rebuilding the xxx-cr for the gf as she comes down with me and has a bash. Gonna chuck the 13.5 in it for her hopefully i can get it rebuilt and have time for a sleep *yawn*

aiming to drop in around 3
Old 08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just need a quick bit of advice...... putting the novak 13.5 in the xxx-cr as posted above.

whats a good starting point for a gear ratio? interal ratio is 2.43 and novak recommend a fdr of 7 with the 13.5
Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just need a quick bit of advice...... putting the novak 13.5 in the xxx-cr as posted above.

whats a good starting point for a gear ratio? interal ratio is 2.43 and novak recommend a fdr of 7 with the 13.5
In the '44 I am running a 6.4FDR (72T/28T*2.5IT) with the LRP13.5. After a 5min race at Keilor that was at 60-65C. Hope the gives you a starting point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.