Search

Swallow charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Swallow charger

Hi guys im in need of some help

i have a friend who has one of those blue swallow chargers which discharges and cycles as well and it has a LCD screen which runs off 12 volts

now the problem is when going to charge before it starts charging theres an error message that says

output circuit error

with this message i have come to a conclusion that there is something wrong with the battery leads side of the charger. we have tried the discharge function with the same error msg

i have also tried to use the charge fuction without connect the charger to the battery now normally it should read a message saying output circuit open or something but still it gives the same error message of "output circuit error"

has anyone with this charger have come across this problem?

thanks in advance guys for any help
Old 12-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i dont got my manual on me but what does it say in the manual when that message pops up?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hmmm... thats bad...

The swallow advance goes by the name of the multiplex ln 5014 in the states, so here's the manual for it:

http://robotcombat.com/images/5014_manual.pdf

Consistent with my documentation for the swallow advance, the error you are receiving is

"Internal error in charger"
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

did the charger get involved in some sort of accident? was it dropped or hit? cause my manual says that it means that the circuit board inside the swallow charger isnt functioning properly.

undo all 4 screws on the case of the swallow and carefully lift up the lid which is also attatched to the lcd screen. inspect the charger output fittings and look for loose wires, etc. if there is put the cover back on again and take it to where you bought. they will either repair it or replace it depending on how the problem was caused.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

or if you solder, resolder the wires back on or best leave it to the professionals to fix it
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

re solder ur battery leads
Old 12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

it aint the battery leads, if it was the message would say "open circuit, check battery"
Old 12-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

off topic question can these charger charge lipo batt
Old 12-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

they can charge every kind of battery made 2day, well up to 3C lipo/limn
Old 12-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Tech Elite

soz my bad......didnt read the Q properly

yeah u have a blown diode or sumthing in the circuit.......maybe u had a short circuit....take the PCB out and look for like a little black cloud
Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pro4_racer
they can charge every kind of battery made 2day, well up to 3C lipo/limn
cheers mate
Old 12-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

by the way, the thing happening to this guy now having problems with the swallow is pretty darn rare. i've had 3 swallow chargers b4 and had 0 problems with them and u can get them as cheap as $84.90
Old 12-28-2006, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Thank you very much for your help guys very much appreciated

Yea i've came to the conlusion that my mates charger is faulty inside we have opened it apart that day it happened and we couldnt observe anything that was abnormal i will have to re-open it again to check for a black diode as savage has mentioned but other than im not expert. But from memory everything looked fine when we took the casing apart nothing was burnt or disconnected.

i asked my mate if he did anything abnormal prior to the error messaging occuring and he said no. But what he did mention was the last ever charge he did before the error message was that the charging process didnt take long and that his battery was not warm so i can only assume it must have shorten out somehow, maybe the wind blew the wires together as he was using a deans pigtail connection to charge his batteries which had deans on it. I also suggested that it could have been that his heat shrinking on his cells had been exposed and he had left the battery on his car on the front nose cone assembly which was made out of metal so he might have shorten the battery out on that as well... either way it seems like its not worth trying to fix it if we cant see any obvious problems inside so might have to look for a new charger for him..

but thanks guys appreicate your help once again

cheers!
James
Old 12-28-2006, 03:23 AM
Tech Master

oh another cautious thing i might add is these chargers have no fan so they get pretty hot and i mate chargers packs after packs without letting the charger cool down, thats another theory i believe might have contributed to his early death of his charger..

cheers
Old 12-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

i charge ib4200's on my swallow charger now all the time for ages and ages and no problems. sure it gets hot but it should, if it doesnt get hot on a 5amp charge using a decent pack u got a problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.