R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Old 12-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default What QLD needs to do to get new people involved

This is following on from the Interclub Thread regarding getting new people involved in this sport we all love so much.

As I said in the previous thread. I was involved with a club in NSW which always had between 50 and 60 racers at a normal club meet almost every time it raced.

The reason I believe it does so is that it has at least 2 rookie classes which they run as " Run what you Brung" classes.

Bare in mind that this is an offroad club but what it meant was when the Traxxas Rustler first came out and was extremely popular it meant kids who got one of these for xmas had the ability to run one of these cars against others with the same ability( limited or none at all) but it was never limited to a single make class meaning you could have kids turning up racing Tamiya cars against Traxxas cars and in some cases against early Losi and Associated cars.

I think the reason offroad and to a smaller extent onroad in QLD is dying is that if you get a Traxxas or Tamiya car in QLD there is NO WHERE for you to race it against other people without having to SPEND even more money on Speed Controllers and a minimum of a Stock Motor and therefore to be able to make race time that means better batteries and a better charger to be able to charge them.

Therefore i think we need to add a rookie class to all clubs whether they are on road or offroad and not limit them to a 1 make RTR rookie class as brendale is implementing as this then limits newcomers to having to buy that make of car.

A rookie class should be totally " Run What You Brung" be it the TC4 RTR or the XXXS RTR or a Tamiya RTR car for on road and things like the B4 RTR or something like a Traxxas RTR or Losi RTR car for off road.

This is just my opinion.

If it wasnt for a Rookie class i know for a fact i wouldnt be racing now as the car i had to start with was a very cheap stadium truck and now i own enough stuff to run 2 classes a day easily.
It doesnt take long for newcomers to become regulars and start to upgrade their equipment and become good drivers but without the encouragement at the start they wont come back and WITHOUT them the sport will DIE.

Adrian Field
Shelf Queens Losi XX4 WE, Yokomo YZ10 (First Proper Race Car).
nudge2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You have some great Idea's Adrian.
I totally agree with you here, I have been going up to the Gold coast track nearly every day talking to new guy's about thing's you have said in this post. We need to make the new guy's feel very welcome and become a part of this great sport before it dies. Beginner heat's are a MUST DO I myself have formed a committee for the Gold coast track to make the Newbies feel welcome and come to us with any questions they may have. We need to have good PR involvement and find out what it takes to get more guy's to the race days.
I have approached Toyworld and supercheap Auto with some flyers and info welcoming newbie to the track because both of these shop's sell R/c Ready to Race cars.
Best wishes
Addam smith
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am going to get shouted down by some people for this, but here goes...

In my humble opinion, if you are having a beginner class (great idea by the way - run what you brung - limit entry to this class to 6 months or 1 race season, say...), you need to make the slowest non-beginner class to be stock. Then 19turn, then Mod.

The biggest killer of people from the sport is coming down to their local track with their spanking new kits, being lumped into 540, and getting their butts handed to them by the guys who have been racing 540 for years and have big budgets.

The 3 "real" (sorry thats not the word I'm after, but you know what I mean) race classes should be stock, 19 and mod - NOT 540, stock and mod. This also alleviates the massive gap between stock and mod - 19 is a great intermediate class. This also encourages the stock masters to move up to 19, and, dare I say it, some of the poorer mod drivers to move back down to 19, without dropping right back to stock.

Wow. I just agreed with AARCMCC on something - someone please slap me

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
ozoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozoner
limit entry to this class to 6 months or 1 race season, say...), you need to make the slowest non-beginner class to be stock. Then 19turn, then Mod.

The biggest killer of people from the sport is coming down to their local track with their spanking new kits, being lumped into 540, and getting their butts handed to them by the guys who have been racing 540 for years and have big budgets.
Scott I definately agree with the 6mths to 1 year time limit for rookie class.
As you say the new people get lumped into 540 and this is where we need to change the thinking of the clubs.

Instead of lumping them into 540 why dont we make a seperate class for them to have a race in.
Shelf Queens Losi XX4 WE, Yokomo YZ10 (First Proper Race Car).
nudge2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

This is my take on classes...

Electric

Beginners class-run what ever you have(540 motor limit)everything else open
540 TC
Stock TC
Modified TC
1/12th-if offered

Nitro

RTR class beginners-open to all 1/10 RTR kits or pull start cars
Gas TC
Open

As said before limit the beginners classes to 1 year max. In this time if they feel they want to move up to another class, OK...but if they want to move back within the 1 year...that's OK also.

All other classes should be left up to the individual person to run what they want. This is a hobby and no one should be told they cannot run a class because they have been racing for too long or spend too much money. You race because you enjoy what you are doing. If that means racing 540...so be it. The day I am told I cannot race a certain class of car is the day I will give up RC.

SchuMi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Putting a time limit to “graduate” a driver would be a bad thing in my opinion. There should be another means to graduate them. Say, maybe if they make the top 3 in the final for 3 meets, send them up. Something like that.
My opinion on the 540 class may get me shot down here.
The 540 class is a must to stay. It is the cheapest way to race a car week in week out (there is nothing to spend at all unless you smash up badly) and the driving is so much fun. Everybody (if they stay within the rules) is so close to the same speed as each other and it makes for some seriously fun racing.
I know someone who has raced all year this year in gas then went and got an electric car and has only just finished his first race. This is only because of the speed of 540. If he had to go up to 19 turn I think he would (at this point) struggle with the speed. There are even a couple of guys who come to Meakin every meet and watch for a while. They have cars, but are embarrassed to race because they are not very good at all. In my opinion 540 is the place for them to start.
In saying that, I really don’t know what’s out there in the shops that you can get off the shelf. I know that there are 540 RTR cars and there are also stock class RTR cars. I am really not sure of the answer, but I do think that 540 should stay.
To get people to stay at your track and become a club member, you need to do what happened to me when I first raced. I rocked up to Meakin with my trusty HPI RS4 3 EVO RTR car and said “what do I do?” I had been to watch a few times but had no idea what happened when it came time to race the car. Mal asked if I had raced before I said no. He then went and got an existing member to help me out for the night. That person basically spent the night with / near me and letting me know what to do. Showed me how to read the results sheets, explained what the hell a transponder was (most new people wont know these things). He made it so relaxing that I didn’t care that I didn’t finish 3 out of 4 races. This is very important in my opinion. Have a PR type of person or even better a group of them to help out the new drivers. Buddy them up for the first few meets. Encourage them. Slowly build up their abilities and I think they will stay and become members.
Getting the classes worked out is one thing. But there is more to this hobby than the classes of cars and the rule book. A new driver doesn’t want to worry about this type of thing, they just want to race. Run what you brung is a great idea in my opinion. But keep in mind that some of the RTR cars available now are seriously gun cars. The GPX4 is a rocket out of the box. Some people are going to need help and this help is the key to keeping them.

Meakin Park Model Raceway, the best club in SEQ

I am no longer racing. Now I plan to bash around on a larger scale.
smostyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
Tech Master

I think that is something that is really lacking. You need to get in contact with the LHS to find out what respectable entry level kits are selling, then try and base a class around them. 540 motor, maybe even controlling what batteries are used (ie stick sport packs) and possibly tires. Cost control racing.

You might end up with a desert gator/traxxas bandit/gravel hound class, i think it really depends on whats selling and whats around.
cantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I Agree withg Shane here.
I think if someone win's and win's and win's and they are still in beginners it could be a turn away for beginners. I think if they win over a period or in the top 3 over say a 3 meeting period they are given there wings. That peson then moves on into the next suited class.
Addam
Wing Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

The problem is not all beginners are running a 4WD TC. If a newbie turns up with a Tamiya 2WD TC and wins for 3 meetings who is going to tell them they have to now buy a new car and move up. Most beginners within the first 12 months will know whether they are going to continue with the hobby. Most will move on before this but for the ones still learning and on tight budgets I dont think you can be moving them up so soon.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have recently become involved in rc cars, the buggy fucked up, parts broken (not through crashing or misuse but bad quality parts) and wear and tear is NOT 1.5 litres of fuel! and the LHS refuses to honour warranty.

not to mention most hobby shop staff give me the impression im keeping them from something when im asksing questions

complete waste of money and now im no longer interested in rc as a hobby.

Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:22 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Cobb
I have recently become involved in rc cars, the buggy fucked up, parts broken (not through crashing or misuse but bad quality parts) and wear and tear is NOT 1.5 litres of fuel! and the LHS refuses to honour warranty.

not to mention most hobby shop staff give me the impression im keeping them from something when im asksing questions

complete waste of money and now im no longer interested in rc as a hobby.

Unfortunately this is an all to common thing. You are not the first nor the last. This is one of the reasons why we are lacking new racers and people in general sticking with the hobby.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:28 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I agree that the hobby shops should help out more and so should the distributors instead of thinking im going to line my pockets with money and not give support.

The new guys coming into our sport need the support of the experienced hobbiest you guys and the local hobby shop.this way we will get more and more people interested .us as distributors and lhs also need to help out the ones who would love to get into the sport but cant afford it and what i mean cant afford is the top of the line models .ive seen many times a new guy ask questions down at the track and being told you need to spend in excess of $2000 to get started and we all know thats bullshit .thats why people turn away from the hobby.we need some basic startup kits for these guys to get them started and who cares if you get blown away on the track everyone keeps on forgetting its all about fun.

on another issue

There is one store in Brisbane and one store in north rockhampton that have agreed with the novarossi and team cobra pricing rrp and everyone should support these people because they do want to make a difference in the hobby and to support all of you .

Trackside r/c with john and jeff hamon is one of those stores who also own stores in melbourne and the gold coast .

The other is Ultra hobbies with Brad smith.

On another note As you guys may not be aware the Distributor in Hong kong has been dismissed by novarossi and the agency has gone to my parent company himoto racing for hong kong and china .

so as you see rc mart and mushroom pricing will be drying up very shortly as they will no longer supply novarossi products in the future.

so guys lets get behind these newcomers and help them instead of scarying them away from the hobby we love .

with maximum respect Angelo novarossi Australia/team cobra racing /himoto racing

Last edited by teamcobraracing; 12-28-2006 at 03:51 AM.
teamcobraracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:34 AM   #13
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think just put all novices in one class, doesn't matter what there running electric and gas mixed, i started this way actully my first meet i was the only new guy running and had the track to myself for 5mins how nerve racking that was, but as time and meets went on the nerves disappeared, i'm still to finish a full day's racing but i'm not forced to go up into a class i'm not comfortable with. time spent on the track builds confidents, i'm at present only running a Himoto not a top end nitro by any means, but have just start to run with top end cars at the track, i run my own race stay out of the way as much as i can, the other guy's know that i'm out there and drive accordingly, doesn't faze me now being there and being 20+ laps down at the end of a race, i'm learn my track craft at my pace and with the help of a few that have taken under there wing so to speak help me with setups and things, no one should be put down on what car they buy and drive it's all a learning curve and as ppl get better and wont to upgrade there cars let them do so at there own pace, a lot of kids out there save there pocket money to buy these and don't have the budgets for higher end cars and should be discouraged from doing so
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot
I think just put all novices in one class, doesn't matter what there running electric and gas mixed, i started this way actully my first meet i was the only new guy running and had the track to myself for 5mins how nerve racking that was, but as time and meets went on the nerves disappeared, i'm still to finish a full day's racing but i'm not forced to go up into a class i'm not comfortable with. time spent on the track builds confidents, i'm at present only running a Himoto not a top end nitro by any means, but have just start to run with top end cars at the track, i run my own race stay out of the way as much as i can, the other guy's know that i'm out there and drive accordingly, doesn't faze me now being there and being 20+ laps down at the end of a race, i'm learn my track craft at my pace and with the help of a few that have taken under there wing so to speak help me with setups and things, no one should be put down on what car they buy and drive it's all a learning curve and as ppl get better and wont to upgrade there cars let them do so at there own pace, a lot of kids out there save there pocket money to buy these and don't have the budgets for higher end cars and should be discouraged from doing so
You hit the nail right on the head their mate, in regards to people telling other people there cars are shit and what not... you posted in a post of mine a few weeks ago when I was asking for help and I was put down because of the brand of car I bought... its not on and its people like this that ruin the hobby for others.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:41 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuMi2
Unfortunately this is an all to common thing. You are not the first nor the last. This is one of the reasons why we are lacking new racers and people in general sticking with the hobby.
I'm at the point now where I'm contacting the manufacturer to let them know that their products are not being supported and that they are effectively telling customers that their products have a life of 2 weeks (2 litres of fuel)...

I also have the option of fair trading or small claims court.

I don't want it to come to that but I feel it's my only option.

I would love to name names however it is against forum policy.