Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Charging/ Discharging Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 06:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Exclamation Battery Charging/ Discharging Questions

Hi all,
Just got a new charger, a Supernova 3000 and I've got a few questions about setting it up for charging my starter box packs and receiver pack. Any help from you electric gurus used to all this charging crap would be greatly appreciated.

A) I have two 6 cell stick packs one is 1700mah and the other 2000mah Nicd.

1) What is the correct current to charge each of these packs?

2) What is the correct current to discharge each of these packs?

3) What should I set the final discharge voltage to for each pack?

B) I have one 5 cell 700mah Nimh receiver pack

1) What is the correct current to charge this pack?

2) What is the correct current to discharge this pack?

3) What should i set the final discharge voltage to for this pack?

Thank you for any information you can provide.

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-28-2003, 12:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

For the 1700 and 2000 packs charge at around 5 amp discharge at around 15 amp to 5.4 volts.

Receiver pack - no idea sorry.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

because you want the receiver pack to last a long time and it doesn't have a high current draw charge it at about 1 amp

discharge it at no more than 5 amps (but thats just a personal thing)

final discharge voltage? - wouldn't be much different to any other battery, about 0.8 - 0.9 volts per cell or 4.0 to 4.5 volts for the pack

its not a common practice to discharge receiver packs often though, as far as I am aware
Old 02-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ShadowAu
because you want the receiver pack to last a long time and it doesn't have a high current draw charge it at about 1 amp

final discharge voltage? - wouldn't be much different to any other battery, about 0.8 - 0.9 volts per cell or 4.0 to 4.5 volts for the pack

its not a common practice to discharge receiver packs often though, as far as I am aware
It has always amazed me that no-one seems to worry about thier receiver cells. I remember walking into Fronline hobbies once and asking about a discharger for all voltages (I use rechargables exclusively) and they laughed at me! Well funny that a year on nearly every electronics manufacturer in the industry does multi-voltage dischargers and for around the $25-35 mark. I treat my all my cells as if they were racing packs. All ni-cads are stored flat and all ni-mh are stored at around 40% capacity.

gt

Old 02-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by squizzytaylor
It has always amazed me that no-one seems to worry about thier receiver cells. I remember walking into Fronline hobbies once and asking about a discharger for all voltages (I use rechargables exclusively) and they laughed at me! Well funny that a year on nearly every electronics manufacturer in the industry does multi-voltage dischargers and for around the $25-35 mark. I treat my all my cells as if they were racing packs. All ni-cads are stored flat and all ni-mh are stored at around 40% capacity.

gt

well I only used to do very basic maintance to My reciever packs when I ran Nitro and I got about 4 years out of them and as far as I know the guy that bought My last nitro car off Me is STILL using them, which would make them about 6 years old and still going strong...

That maintance was exactly what I wrote in My first post... I completely discharged My receiver packs only about every 3rd race meet

hands up all those that have used Ni-Cd receiver packs and had to top them up 2, 3 or even 4 times in a days racing without properly discharging them? come on... don't be shy
Old 02-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for your reply. The receiver pack is NIMH not nicd. I thought that charging a NIMH 700mah pack at anything over .5 amp would significantly decrease the pack life? Also to discharge it at a high rate would kill it just as quickly?

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

well I only used to do very basic maintance to My reciever packs when I ran Nitro and I got about 4 years out of them and as far as I know the guy that bought My last nitro car off Me is STILL using them, which would make them about 6 years old and still going strong...

That maintance was exactly what I wrote in My first post... I completely discharged My receiver packs only about every 3rd race meet

hands up all those that have used Ni-Cd receiver packs and had to top them up 2, 3 or even 4 times in a days racing without properly discharging them? come on... don't be shy
I suppose its all relative really, every third time is going to be better than never and so-on etc. I am probably a little over the top on maintenence but Ive got 3 cars to look after which equates to

3 x 1100mah ni-mh rec packs
1 x 600mah ni-mh rec pack (spare)
1 x 1650mah ni-mh Tran pack
2 x 800mah tran packs
4 x 1800 mah ni-cad stick packs (starter)
2 x 1800mah glow starters

A few dollars worth. But the other point is now with charger technology it is so easy to cycle batteries and get into regular maintenence youd be silly not to.

gt

Old 03-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by quozl
Thanks for your reply. The receiver pack is NIMH not nicd. I thought that charging a NIMH 700mah pack at anything over .5 amp would significantly decrease the pack life? Also to discharge it at a high rate would kill it just as quickly?

Cheers Alastair
MOST battery manufactures advise that charging a battery between 1.5 and 2 times its rated value is acceptable and SHOULDN'T cause any adverse shortage of life span etc

5 amps isn't really that high a discharge... but I did some investigating and most tx/rx battery cyclers run about 0.5 - 1 amp discarges as well so maybe there is something there... but they also said that those rates were for Ni-CD

squizzytaylor - I know what you mean about batteries... I've got
3 Orion 3000HV packs
3 Fantom 3000H packs
2 BSR 2000 packs
2 2000 Stick packs
3 1700 Stick packs
1 1400 Stick pack
1 Tx pack (8 aa rechargeables)

can get a bit of a handfull sometimes... espically as the Ni-MH need to be cycled about every 2 weeks when I not racing