Like Tree29Likes

St Ives RC Club

Old 10-18-2019, 04:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just to top off our up and down week.

I have tonight had confirmation that the council's Operations team have inspected our drivers stand and deemed it structurally unsafe.
People are to refrain from using it.

I received this info after 5pm today and was awaiting sighting of the councils email before posting.

We will pursue a meeting with the council next week.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Drivers stand

Old 10-21-2019, 09:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Very sad - lets hope the council is swift in sorting it out.... while they're at it maybe they can fund a major overhaul....or a move.... or a 1/10th / 1/8th combined track or better yet everything!!!
Mike1 likes this.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think itís time we all contact council with an enquiryto show them the numbers of people that actually use the facility. I think this may help either speed up the process and let them know that funding for it is worth while.

Itíd be a shame to move the track from a nostalgic perspective, standing on the stand where world champions and the like have driven. On the other hand, anything that happens to help the club get back on track will be good.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by muvro View Post
I think itís time we all contact council with an enquiryto show them the numbers of people that actually use the facility. I think this may help either speed up the process and let them know that funding for it is worth while.

Itíd be a shame to move the track from a nostalgic perspective, standing on the stand where world champions and the like have driven. On the other hand, anything that happens to help the club get back on track will be good.
Couldn't agree more, that track has been there for so long, that is the same stand Masami stood on at the 89 world's (obviously minor alterations/repairs over time) i don't mind seeing the stand replaced with a shipping container
style set up, but i'd like to see the track stay there. Drama will be dealing with the council, it's like asking the same question to 10 different people at RMS/Service NSW, you will get 10 different responses, council is useless and lazy.
Hopefully they will action something soon to bring the club up to spec with the others.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

would love to stay in the same location, but without being able to bring in dirt, its tough. if they relocated us as they were going to (supposedly) I'd be open to it.

not a fan of carpet, but understand the current situation.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:43 AM
Tech Addict

So who is off to either Hills for the Vintage Festival (Sat & Sun) or Ryde on Sat night?
I will be at Hills on Sunday for some Vintage 4wd. The Optima gets another run and I have a new Masami XLS to get dirty (hasn't even run yet but there is still tomorrow to finish it off).

Update re St Ives and drivers stand.
Council has agreed for the club to pay and arrange for new stand. Presently we are looking at an option which should allow some flexibility on present set up and can be moved if in future we get option to move site within Showground.
Some way to go re getting quote and finalising approval etc. But at least there is some light.

It will mean the current stand goes. Sadly the history in the stand will be lost but repairs to the current stand to a satisfactory level would be very costly.
Will keep everyone informed further as details clarify and esp. timeframes.

Hope to see you all out and about in coming weeks at events.
Cheers, Thommo
Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

St Ives RC track and drivers stand update.
The club is presently looking at options to build a new drivers stand. One option is pallet racking with stairs on one end. Presently this is looking to be quite expensive so we are having to consider other options.
The council will only allow something that 'looks similar' to what is there now. This will avoid having to submit a DA and must fit in with the facility. So previous ideas re a shipping container with stand on top (like Hills RC excellent set up) will not be approved by council.
One consideration has been if we spend a lot of the clubs funds that any new stand would need to be able to be moved to another site if we are asked to relocate at some future date.
But presently council cannot give any indication re when or where this might be.
So site of the 1989 Worlds is still our home.
We hope to have the stand issue sorted and be back racing some time in Jan/ Feb 2020.
We may need members and guests to help to remove the existing stand but this will be finalised shortly.

Meanwhile I am hoping that members consider racing at some of our fellow clubs in and around Sydney.
I think cars/ trucks set up for carpet would go alright at somewhere like Ryde at one of their night meets with bit of ride height adjust and some suitable dirt tyres. I know the truck guys were at Ryde the other week. And a few of us were at Hills RC for their Truck event last Sunday. So maybe we can share set up suggestions re how we move from carpet to dirt with minimal effort.
Cheers, Thommo
Old 11-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I raced at that track when I was 9 years of age in 1986 with my Tamiya Falcon. I am now 42. It would be heartbreaking to see it move/relocate.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MattWebb View Post
I raced at that track when I was 9 years of age in 1986 with my Tamiya Falcon. I am now 42. It would be heartbreaking to see it move/relocate.
Thanks Matt.
There are quite a few still around who remember the clubs early days. And many who remember the 1989 Worlds at St Ives. Unfortunately the drivers stand has had to go. But presently the club is pushing ahead to remain where we are and to get a new drivers stand up asap so we can get back to racing and having the facility for people to use and enjoy. Many non members use the venue on non race days.
The council has had various plans for the larger Showground site and the club has been willing to consider options being proposed re a move to another site on the Showground. One plus was the possibility of more space for larger track and better storage. But recently the council has had its own issues to deal with and so no move is indicated.
We just need to get the drivers stand issue sorted.
Cheers. Let us know if you are ver around the place on a race day.
Thommo
Old 12-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

woke up this morning and almost choked... no, not from the smoke. from Model Flight's $800 pricetag on the new TLR 4wd
NOFX likes this.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by thommo View Post
Thanks Matt.
There are quite a few still around who remember the clubs early days.
Thommo
That would be me then. I was a member around 1983-1986 if my memory is correct. I had a Tamiya SuperChamp and Hornet. Both cars are sadly gone now. Was I competitve? No. Did I have fun? Yes. I lived at St.Ives ('snives' to us locals) so I could ride my bike to the track. Many happy (and hot) afternoons on both club days and off weekends sitting waiting for batteries to charge from dad's car, listening to Roy & HG on JJJ.

I went back there with a mate a couple of weeks ago, early one Sunday morning. We did a few laps around the track with his ancient clapped-out Hotshot; and now I've caught the 'bug' again! My wife has generously got me a TT02B Neo Scorcher for xmas. Not a racing machine, but I'm in it for the fun, and don't want to drop serious cash on it.... yet. We live out Baulkham Hills way now - so we're lucky to have quite a few good tracks / clubs nearby.

Any good recommendations for clubs?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by vikingen View Post
woke up this morning and almost choked... no, not from the smoke. from Model Flight's $800 pricetag on the new TLR 4wd
Yes that price is a bit steep vikingen.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wheel Nut View Post
Yes that price is a bit steep vikingen.
Cam (Vikingen) you own Kyosho's don't you? Whats $800?

vikingen likes this.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by c64orinoco View Post
That would be me then. I was a member around 1983-1986 if my memory is correct. I had a Tamiya SuperChamp and Hornet. Both cars are sadly gone now. Was I competitve? No. Did I have fun? Yes. I lived at St.Ives ('snives' to us locals) so I could ride my bike to the track. Many happy (and hot) afternoons on both club days and off weekends sitting waiting for batteries to charge from dad's car, listening to Roy & HG on JJJ.

I went back there with a mate a couple of weeks ago, early one Sunday morning. We did a few laps around the track with his ancient clapped-out Hotshot; and now I've caught the 'bug' again! My wife has generously got me a TT02B Neo Scorcher for xmas. Not a racing machine, but I'm in it for the fun, and don't want to drop serious cash on it.... yet. We live out Baulkham Hills way now - so we're lucky to have quite a few good tracks / clubs nearby.

Any good recommendations for clubs?
Clubs for 1/10th around Sydney (or so).
St Ives.
Hills RC (Castlehill)
Sydney RC (Ryde)
then bit further out
Maitland
Southern Highlands

You can usually google these and find a website or Facebook page.
All are good. Different vibe at each as different level of racers and track surface/ style.

Cheers, Thommo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.