Like Tree17Likes

St Ives RC Club

Reply

Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 PM
  #1501  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 257
Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default

...
autoset is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM
  #1502  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 115
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dragonheart
Sorry I've been off a while, been heavily seaching for ttech xrs's/x10's
I just won a ttech predator xrs (AU$700 cheapest price in stores) for AU$230 incl. postage! I will however still be racing the rustler with a new shock tower (will take 6-8 to arrive, bummer) custom made from graphite, and new improved hubs with bearings. i need advice for tyres for the xrs though, it's a 4wd electric with such a low centre of gravity/mass i can drop it from 2 metres, upside down, and it will flip right way up before hitting the ground.

on another note, jerome im really happy with the mc330cr but i have modified it to have the traxxas xl-5's old heatsinks, it runs with only a slight temperature with the co27, and not too hot to touch with the venom 15t fireball (too fast in the rusty, will be sitting in the xrs till i get a better motor.

also won't be racing the xrs for a while - all the holes are drilled after moulding by hand with a drill press and the gearbox is off kilter so i need another one. the rusty is on for this weekend though!

-Jack

P.S. Ryde Track blah blah blah

Jack, bring the XRS on Sunday, I will be there and have a new top gear cover for you, and if you need any other spares let me know..We will fit it in the morning.... Get yourself at least a 2mm driver as well if you dont have one as they are incredibly hard to work on if you dont!

As far as tyres go, team losi blockhead fronts in red compound and either Team Losi bigshot red compound or Team LOsi X2000's red compound will be perfect on any track.
commander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
  #1503  
Tech Adept
 
dragonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Turramurra
Posts: 134
Default Sunday

I may not be there on sunday but ill be racing the rusty at ryde on saturday just so i don't have to wait another week to race! really wanna get back on st ives - also about that gear cover will the one from the x10 fit the xrs? i don't think there's any difference in that department between the cars but i hope they fit - also i don't know if i gave the impression i had but I haven't assembled the car yet, only taken some stuff out of the box and checked out some of the parts (finding the gearbox not fitting was annoying, it's on it's way to ttech for a replacement) - I'm not allowed to put it together yet because i bought it on parent borrowed money on eBay because I couldn't find any others and it was going cheap. I haven't actually tried dropping the thing and i won't but i forgot that was a joke from the pred forums not rctech should have 240 in no time, selling alot of stuff at the moment.

anyway don't worry about the gearbox ill try and get up there to race the rusty on sunday though

-Jack
dragonheart is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
  #1504  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
NOFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,411
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by raceprep98
Hey guys,

1. Why are there no jumps? No doubles, triples, or quads. No elevation changes, table tops, step ups... Nothing of the sort. The nly thing that makes it an off-road track is the fact that the track is made out of dirt/clay. I don't get it? Where is the excitement in that? I moved from Los Angeles where there are many tracks to choose from. I even worked at one for a few years. I'm curious as to why the track is the way it is? Does it have to do with maintenence and upkeep? If so, I would love to start petitioning to change things If we want to be as competitive as the guys in the states, I think we need to put more effort into our tracks. The dirt on the track looks great. I'm sure when it's dry the traction must be unreal.



Please don't take my critisism in a negative way, I'm only asking because I don't know...

See everyone on Sunday,

Jezza
Hey jezza, despite ur disclaimer, some of your questions are somewhat critical, if not of the track ,but those who race on it being content that the track offers enough excitement etc. This argument has circulated for a while as to what makes an off road track, some people think, "oh it must have a million jumps and all these sections, blah blah" i disagree, off road isnt defined by jumps, its defined by having an uneven dirt surface and this is radio control car racing, not radio control car jumping. if u actually drive around the st ives track, you'll find the track has some interesting bits, there's a nice berm coming onto the main straight and a little jump just after that, a nice big bump into turn one makes the turn in difficult, and if u look at the track, ithere arent many places jumps etc could be put, u could put tricky bits on corners, but that doesnt do much but make proper racing more difficult, but believe me when i say that the excitement of that track is generated out of the excellent racing it produces rather than the air time. All the tracks around sydney offer something different. The other great thing about the St ives track is that it is the track that was run for the 1989 world championships when they were run here, which for me is nice, its a it of history preserved, knowing we're driving on the same layout masami and co did 18 years ago
NOFX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:58 PM
  #1505  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
B4Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia. St Ives RC Club.
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by autoset
...
What do posts like this mean??? I see them all the time.
B4Bandit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
  #1506  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
JeromeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,691
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Hey Jack arn't you meant to be at school at 11:09??
JeromeB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:14 PM
  #1507  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
NOFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,411
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by B4Bandit
What do posts like this mean??? I see them all the time.

it tends to mean someone has replied, then realised they didnt want to post in that thread or something and put the "..." there because u can not had a post with nothing in it and u usually can't completly delete a post
NOFX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:00 AM
  #1508  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
B4Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia. St Ives RC Club.
Posts: 960
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Ummm, can't you just hit the back button?

I thought it was people trying to up their post numbers....
B4Bandit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:19 AM
  #1509  
Tech Master
iTrader: (26)
 
JeromeB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,691
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Who is autoset?
JeromeB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 AM
  #1510  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
NOFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,411
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by B4Bandit
Ummm, can't you just hit the back button?

I thought it was people trying to up their post numbers....

not if you have already hit submit reply u cant, but yes it could alse be used to up ur post numbers
NOFX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:56 AM
  #1511  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
X5 Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Ives RCCC
Posts: 3,991
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NOFX
not if you have already hit submit reply u cant, but yes it could alse be used to up ur post numbers
Can also be a post deleted by the moderator if inappropriate. Have a look at posts made by the Fuhrer, heaps of "..." against his name!

You still running the XX4 this weekend? And gas truck?
X5 Addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 AM
  #1512  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
X5 Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Ives RCCC
Posts: 3,991
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Mate, very well put.
Originally Posted by NOFX
Hey jezza, despite ur disclaimer, some of your questions are somewhat critical, if not of the track ,but those who race on it being content that the track offers enough excitement etc. This argument has circulated for a while as to what makes an off road track, some people think, "oh it must have a million jumps and all these sections, blah blah" i disagree, off road isnt defined by jumps, its defined by having an uneven dirt surface and this is radio control car racing, not radio control car jumping. if u actually drive around the st ives track, you'll find the track has some interesting bits, there's a nice berm coming onto the main straight and a little jump just after that, a nice big bump into turn one makes the turn in difficult, and if u look at the track, ithere arent many places jumps etc could be put, u could put tricky bits on corners, but that doesnt do much but make proper racing more difficult, but believe me when i say that the excitement of that track is generated out of the excellent racing it produces rather than the air time. All the tracks around sydney offer something different. The other great thing about the St ives track is that it is the track that was run for the 1989 world championships when they were run here, which for me is nice, its a it of history preserved, knowing we're driving on the same layout masami and co did 18 years ago
X5 Addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:13 AM
  #1513  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 7
Default Sorry... Don't Agree

Originally Posted by NOFX
Hey jezza, despite ur disclaimer, some of your questions are somewhat critical, if not of the track ,but those who race on it being content that the track offers enough excitement etc. This argument has circulated for a while as to what makes an off road track, some people think, "oh it must have a million jumps and all these sections, blah blah" i disagree, off road isnt defined by jumps, its defined by having an uneven dirt surface and this is radio control car racing, not radio control car jumping. if u actually drive around the st ives track, you'll find the track has some interesting bits, there's a nice berm coming onto the main straight and a little jump just after that, a nice big bump into turn one makes the turn in difficult, and if u look at the track, ithere arent many places jumps etc could be put, u could put tricky bits on corners, but that doesnt do much but make proper racing more difficult, but believe me when i say that the excitement of that track is generated out of the excellent racing it produces rather than the air time. All the tracks around sydney offer something different. The other great thing about the St ives track is that it is the track that was run for the 1989 world championships when they were run here, which for me is nice, its a it of history preserved, knowing we're driving on the same layout masami and co did 18 years ago
Sorry NOFX, I don't agree with you. Sure it must be nice to drive the same course as Masami drove back in 1989, but lets move on from there and call history just that; history. If you look at any track thatís maintained by an off-road manufacturer, i.e. Proline for instance, you will never see a flat track such as the one we have at St. Ives. Whatís the reason for this? It's simple really. Technology is the answer.

With new technology, we are able to complete faster lap times, smooth out rough tracks, and jump higher, farther, and faster than we could back in 1989. It takes a lot more skill to time a section of whoops, double-doubles, or a table top for that matter than it does to just race around a flat track.

I really feel that you don't have a leg to stand on in this argument. You'll find most people will agree with me when they ask why we don't have a track thatís similar off-road tracks both in the US and Asia. If flat out racing is what you're looking for, I might suggest spending more time with an on-road car. If you like the occasional berm, you might want to look at racing velodrome cars.

RC off-road vehicles these days have such amazing R&D put into them, the technology has increased ten-fold, it's a shame half of it goes to waste on a flat track.

I can understand the argument about a track with jumps is more work to maintain. I agree with that statement. Saying the track is too small for jumps, thatís just incorrect. I have the experience to back up any argument I have placed forward.

I think you summed up your point perfectly when you said:

"The other great thing about the St ives track is that it is the track that was run for the 1989 world championships when they were run here, which for me is nice, its a it of history preserved, knowing we're driving on the same layout Masami and co did 18 years ago".

It's time to move away from history, and utilise the great technology that has gone into making these vehicles what they are today.

Please only take my comments as constructive criticism...

Cheers,

Jezza
raceprep98 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:50 AM
  #1514  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (20)
 
X5 Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St Ives RCCC
Posts: 3,991
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by raceprep98
I really feel that you don't have a leg to stand on in this argument. You'll find most people will agree with me when they ask why we don't have a track thatís similar off-road tracks both in the US and Asia. If flat out racing is what you're looking for, I might suggest spending more time with an on-road car. If you like the occasional berm, you might want to look at racing velodrome cars.

Cheers,

Jezza
Well I for one do not agree with you Jezza. I understand that most if not all tracks are very well built and maintained in the US with heaps of jumps, camber / level changes etc etc which is in their best interest as they make money at these clubs and can spend heaps of time making great tracks. It's a business! I know there's also heaps of non profit clubs too doing the same type of thing. Love watching that type of racing yeh! Wish I was sponsored!

As I said earlier there are other tracks that may cater for your style, but not everyone wants the same things as yourself. I for one would be disappointed if there wasn't a variety of tracks to choose from.

Even though you have put a "disclaimer" at the bottom of your post, after reading the above quote how could NOFX not be offended by your comments? Why have you chosen to get personal? Just because he's oposed your proposal/s? That's pretty low.

Look, the club is always open to suggestions, but not demands. We discussed layout proposals through last year and this is what our club came to agreement on. Yes I wanted more jumps (small tables, 2 doubles and a couple of other things) but it's not all about what "I" want as other people have a say.
X5 Addict is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:15 AM
  #1515  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (25)
 
NOFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,411
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

hey X5

i'll be down on sunday, but only to say hi, watch a bit of racing, as i have a wedding to go to in the afternoon, but next clubby for sure

to raceprep, mate i see where ur coming from in some aspects, but honestly, you are much better off coming down to the track and meeting the people and seeing what the club is all about before offering criticisms of the track. Having not met the people, or driven the track, you don't really have any legs to stand on. ive raced on and off there for many years and every time i go back, its not even for the track, though i always enjoy it, its about the people and spending fun time with like-minded people in a relaxed atmosphere and going racing. They have a great bunch of people and we all have a laugh. its not for you decide whether history is in the past, or whether it should be preserved, its up to the hard working people at the club, some of whom were involved in the club when the world were there. this will be my last post regarding the matter, as far as legs to stand on goes, i've received some pm's letting me know they like my perspective and people in the thread too, come down to the next meeting and get a feeling for what the club is about before you offer any more criticism
NOFX is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service