R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Old 02-05-2003, 02:44 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default bearing rebuilding question

hello does anyone know about greaseing and/or oiling bearing's very recently i had alot of time on my hand's so i striped down everything on my c4.1and decided to see if completely pulling my bearing's apart and cleaning them made any difference i did put my car back together and wass ammazed i used my eagle buzz tray type thing to get the dirt mixxed with some help from motor spray you could get the bearing's to have vitually no risitance i added three drops of bering oil and put them back together again now my car can probably cost the lenht of the strait from one blip of throttle and now i want to go further with it and refine the technique and get more out of my bearing's i thought of 2 options i go talk to a commercial oil ditributor ad try and get a litttle o the most slippery oil i can find or go and get some dry powder like grafite this may add a little extra drag nothing significant though but make maintenance much lees freequent because there ids nothing for the dust to stick to got any ideas thanks

oh also be warned i'm lucky enough to not have a sight problem for those of you who do and wish to try this put your glasses on please and concentraete the parts are so so small
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:33 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

We remove the sheilds from our bearings and then clean then in an Ultrasonic cleaner that has an injector cleaning fluid in it. These are a bit pricey but clean the bearings like new. Alternately you can use a bearing rumbler available from most RC shops, Eagle make them. To lube them we use Triflow which is a teflon based oil available at most gun shops. We've found it's the best product available to lube the bearings. On a side note I do this to my bearings after evey race meeting keeping them in a new condition and prolonging their life significantly.

Cheers Alastair
quozl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:50 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

let them sit in the eagle vibrator, added in with greas and wax remover, let sit for an hour or so, change liquid as necessary, dry out thoroughly, blow out with air compressor, really frees them up, add only one to two drops of light oil, you can even remove the inside seal on the bearings to make them even smoother, not worth removing both seals, as they get gritty too quickly, and can cause a seized bearing in one meeting.

most of all when cleaning car between races DO NOT go anywhere near the bearings with a brush or an air compressor
Old 02-05-2003, 04:33 AM   #4
adz
Tech Regular

Quote:
To lube them we use Triflow which is a teflon based oil available at most gun shops.
And as most gun shops to non gun lovers arn't the most abundant thing around, triflow (teflon based lubricant) can also
be found from your local push bike shop.
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:47 AM   #5
Tech Elite

i wouldn't recommend using just powdered graphite as you need oil to stop the bearings from seazing.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:11 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

thomas the triflow is an oil with teflon in it not powder
chookgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #7
Tech Regular

chook i think he's talking about the grafite powder i was talkin about
Old 02-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by quozl
To lube them we use Triflow which is a teflon based oil available at most gun shops. We've found it's the best product available to lube the bearing.

Cheers Alastair
seeing that i know a bit about gun's is it barrell lube or general trigger and pin lube a family member shoot's he might be have some of the stuff that he could give to me
Old 02-05-2003, 04:44 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by fasterdanu
seeing that i know a bit about gun's is it barrell lube or general trigger and pin lube a family member shoot's he might be have some of the stuff that he could give to me
I've got NFI what part of a gun it's used for I just know you can buy it at gun shops as they use it for something. It's a brand name called "Triflow" comes in a black eith orange lettering Aerosol and also a normal liquid container. Make sure you shake it well before using it as the teflon tends to settle in the container when it's been sitting for awhile.

I'm pretty sure you could find it at better hardware stores and as someone said bike shops.

While your at it you can also pick up White Lightning at bike shops to do your dogbones with. It repels dirt, grit etc and prevents you having to use grease in the drive cups on 200mm, 235mm and 8th scale cars. Some guys even put it on their belts.

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-05-2003, 05:37 PM   #10
Tech Regular

would it be worth cleaning the bearings in my reflex NT ? ?
mitch179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:46 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch179
I thoroughly clean and relube the bearings in my Serpent 835 after every race meeting and I did the same with my Impact wc02 before it. Dirt is going to kill your bearings if you don't look after them. So my reccomendation would be yes clean them after every race meeting. I strip my cars right down after every meeting and clean everything to like new.

Cheers Alastair
Old 02-06-2003, 12:36 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch179
if youve been running it for a while then yes
Old 02-06-2003, 02:31 AM   #13
Tom
Tech Regular

for cleaning bearings the power of metho is the way to go

1. spray with wd 40 or motor cleaner
2. wash and let sit in a take away container full of metho
3. leave to air on a rag, meto evaperates

now ur bearings are free from and unwanted oils in the motor spray

finaly, oil with bearing oil or any other low friction light wieght sinthetic oil.

replace one shield and take on and of till ur happy with the free spin of the bearing.( the shields can bend and render the clean useless)

personaly i do my bearings after each meeting(brush farm is rather dusty) but you always feel bad running ur car in practise and bring it back covered in dust
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 02:32 AM   #14
Tom
Tech Regular

opps

forgot to say that lead pencil works well in ur diffs as well
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:05 AM   #15
AC
Tech Regular

yeah, the graphite in the pencil doesnt attract dust, therefore no more crunchy diffs!
do you usualy take off both shields, or just one shield?

Edit: Go to kmart or somewhere, and get the spray called CRC Power Lube with teflon. It is fantastic! just dont use too much of it, only a tiny little bit wil do, otherwise the bearings will be sticky and attract lots and lots of dirt.

Last edited by AC; 02-06-2003 at 03:07 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote