Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Do we need high powered engines in Gas Tourer >

Do we need high powered engines in Gas Tourer

Do we need high powered engines in Gas Tourer

Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

but i went in there asked for a type of fuel and was told it was no good and was sold something else and then was told what i bought was no good, who knows, this shop race and tune engines, you tell me they don't know
Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B4
The trouble as I see it is that some people expect hobby shops to have all the answers and to sell you just what you need. You really need to do what your budget can afford, that might mean that you get fuel that will improve longevity but won't neccesarily provide the best performance. I refuse to recommend any fuel as I have seen people use fuel I don't personally like but they seem to be very happy with.

Thats the point I tried to make earlier B4.

I run Ultraslick at club days, and dont tune it to the ultimate performance,when I dont need the extra zing. This means my engines will last me a tad longer.

At speial events I run better fuel, and lean it out a bit more.

What is the blue hell is the 18% designed to run it? I run onroad only. Is it more suited to offroad?

The OX
Old 07-29-2006, 03:45 AM
Suspended

all i know it's premium blend 15% nitro 18% oil, i wont be buying it again i'll just go direct to AT fuels and get it from them, allready made the enquires to them and at 1/2 the price HS sell it for i'd be mad if i didn't
Old 07-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Well your not alone rc carnage these high end hobby shops in qld wouldn't know if a train was up them until it blew their whistle. I to was ripped off by one of these high end hobby sales people ands was sold an off road which was around 10 years old. I found the best way is to do your research on the internet be 100 % on what you want then buy overseas because these sales people in qld might end up educating themselves on what is legal and what is not legal to run.

Ps before you clowns shoot me down it is up to the hobby sales people to learn the rules for their state as it is their profession on the line.

As for AT fuel and runner time my opinion AT fuel has got to be the best value for money runner time is over priced mugen based crap
Old 07-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Suspended

but heavy your looking at it as a retailers point of view and not a consumers of cause you would say what you did to protect your interests
Old 07-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Tech Rookie

This broad brush approach to labeling retailers in this industry the way you guys have been today is probably a little unfair.

I retail into this hobby and I know the rules (Qld rules especially) and have spent many hours contributing to the construction of those rules. I don't know of any customers that I have spoken to who are unhappy with the advice I've given them or the product I've sold them.

I use AT or Boost fuel (and sell Boost) and find them both good. I only use the onroad race llegal 16% nitro fuel in both brands.

cheers
I don't think anyone here believes that all hobby shop guys are evil money hungry bastards but it's a fact that some of them are. Especially the ones that don't seem to have a direct competitor in thier area. In fact, in alot of cases, I have likened hobby shop guys with car salesmen. They're extremely arrogant and would step over thier own mother for a dollar.

Having said that, I, in fact, think that my local hobby shop is great. Sure, the guys at Auswide look at me strange when I want high nitro, low oil fuel for an off-roader ( They seem to think it's onroad fuel ) but other than that, they're great. They're extremely helpful.

So, my conclusion is, it's like every other part of life. Although most of them try to conduct themselves as ethically as possible, there are always gonna be those who are just out to make a quick buck, at the expense of the un-informed.

Shaun.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I always wonder when I read the comments by people that go on blaming someone else for what they brought. In the end you decided to buy it regardless of who told who what. No one twisted anyones arm here I'd guess.

The other side of the story you usually don't get to hear is that the person who brought the car that falls apart, only wanted to spend X-amount.
You get what you pay for ultimately.

When it comes to motors, you pay alot for these things so simply put the best through them if you want the best results.

The best is RunnerTime.

Sure it costs, but so does your motor.

Nova Rossi recomend it, enough said.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig1
I always wonder when I read the comments by people that go on blaming someone else for what they brought. In the end you decided to buy it regardless of who told who what. No one twisted anyones arm here I'd guess.

The other side of the story you usually don't get to hear is that the person who brought the car that falls apart, only wanted to spend X-amount.

When it comes to motors, you pay alot for these things so simply put the best through them if you want the best results.

The best is RunnerTime.

yes i have to agree
i run runnertime now as when i first tryed it the motor ran quicker and 20deg cooler with the same tuning as with the other fuel.
all the top racers run it and they all would'nt use it if it was crap
saying that run the best quality fuel you can afford as bad fuel will only cost you more in the long run
Old 07-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Nun
As for AT fuel and runner time my opinion AT fuel has got to be the best value for money runner time is over priced mugen based crap
I agree with the overpriced part but dont agree with the crap part. Runnertime is easily the best fuel available on the Australian market today. AT on the other hand is cheap, but in my opinion, is no where near as good as runnertime. I have back to backed these fuels on many occasions because i was tired of paying mega bucks for Runnertime. Same pipe, same plug, same head clearance, clutch set-up, and within 10 minutes of each other. I had to lean out when i ran Runnertime and the engine maintained good constant tune. When i'd switch to AT, i'd have to Richen a fair bit, temps were a little bit hotter, but the top of the piston pitted, as did the head button. I then did the same thing with another engine, and i got similar results. This is despite AT having a higher oil content (5 Synthetic and 5 Castor). I got another racer at the track (multiple aust and state champion champion) to have a look, and he said that when ever he ran AT fuel, he had to add 2% more Synthetic and/or raise the head clearance by an extra 0.10mm to stop detonation. This effected the engines performance, so he stopped using that fuel.
I know people are gonna jump on and give testimonials on AT, but most people run on tracks shorter than Moorebank, where engines dont sit at top RPM for as long, and get worked as hard.

I dont know what this has to do with hobby shops ripping people of, but anyway
Old 07-29-2006, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Craig1

The best is RunnerTime.

Runnertime is very expensive, but it is the best fuel, that's why they are using it at the world champioship. If you really want to know what products are good, you need to ask the the best drivers, and you need to pay the big bucks.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Suspended

what about the new guy starting out, is all good to say run the best of this and the best of that, like me and other i dont shares in a bank or deep pockets, what happened to just go and have fun seems to me thats long gone, never blown an engine or had a plug die, but there's no way i'll pay $25.00ltr for fuel, even if it guarantee's me to win races, i'd rather putter around at the back of the field, winning ain't everything
Old 07-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robot
what about the new guy starting out, is all good to say run the best of this and the best of that, like me and other i dont shares in a bank or deep pockets, what happened to just go and have fun seems to me thats long gone, never blown an engine or had a plug die, but there's no way i'll pay $25.00ltr for fuel, even if it guarantee's me to win races, i'd rather putter around at the back of the field, winning ain't everything

Robot you answered your own question, if you want to go out and have fun, you don't need to pay the bucks, but if you want to try and win, then you do.

And if you can win without paying the bucks, then your even better of, but if you want to win against the best, then you'll have to dig deep and pay for the best, otherwise just be happy to go out and have fun. Pretty simple isn't it.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by itchy b
i've run AT fuel and and it does a good job with the race engines i use
for todays engines 12% oil is more than enough
I second that i use at at AT RACING 16% with 10% oil in my sirio sti with standard shiming on the head and that has enough oil and runs really well ( thanks for the tune burgo )you get good quality fuel for a very good price i agree with the statement that runnertime is the best fuel on the market overpriced yes but again you get what you pay for ive seen your engines run joe and they are so smooth through the range and run very cool.

cheers
Chris
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro_racer23
I second that i use at at AT RACING 16% with 10% oil in my sirio sti with standard shiming on the head and that has enough oil and runs really well ( thanks for the tune burgo )you get good quality fuel for a very good price i agree with the statement that runnertime is the best fuel on the market overpriced yes but again you get what you pay for ive seen your engines run joe and they are so smooth through the range and run very cool.

cheers
Chris
thats because i like cool motors
Old 07-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Adept

Joe what are you doing up this late waiting for the Grand Prix to come on like me lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.