Wiki Posts
Search

Stadium Trucks...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Stadium Trucks...?

Hey peoples,

I am looking at buying a beginner type car for my brother and he is keen to try a stadium truck.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this one that RC Hobbie stocks as its resonably priced and looks ok.

Linky!

Does anyone have one of these, or know what they are like. Also, are spare parts easy to get your hands on, because I dont want to buy him something I cant get parts for.

If anyone has any other ideas for cars around that price (prob upto AU$450) that is pretty much RTR.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

You're obviously keen on nitro?

Yes - I have an XTM Xcel. Whilst its the only nitro truck ive ever owned, it has been very very good to me. Fred @ RCHobbies carries every single part for that truck, they're cheap and he gets em to you quick.

It does suffer somewhat from "not losi or ae" syndrome. But IMO represents very sound value. Considering its not losi or ae, id put it into a similar category as a nitro traxxas rustler or a nitro duratrax evader. Both of these trucks should be within your price range for the RTR package. Team losi sport XXXNT and RC10GT RTR prob above your price range?

XTM forums can be found here:

http://globalservices.globalhobby.co...wforum.php?f=9

Have a read and you'll see that

a) there's not many major dramas with these trucks; and
b) they make for competetive racers as well as sound bashers (an ST will only ever be "so good" for bashing... they light and quick, which makes them a bit vulnerbale to damage).

People have had a bit of success mis-matching losi, ae and duratrax parts to the XTM. Personally i dont bother - a new set of XTM front arms is $9 from rchobbies... hubs are a few bucks each.

All ive done is upgrade the ballcups (xtm ones didnt last long) and change the gearing (shortened - went for the larger XTM spur, stock is 46t i believe, I went for the 47)... and put an HPI roto start sysem on there (direct fit).

A good read here, one of the guys from california who bought one and did a few basic mods to get a bit more reliability out of it... then went to his local tracks to tangle with the likes of drake, with a suprising amount of success (member "racernine" from the xtm forums linked to above).

http://www.racernine.com/X-CellNitro.html

The sh.18 engine has more grunt than you need for a 2wd, ive read that they are durable and my experience so far leads me to agree with this (4 litres and still as tight as a nun's nasty). Wont meet racing standards for an ST, which requires a .12 (lol, find me an RTR with a .12!!!)
Old 07-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

P.s. Lol, sorry if that sounded like a sales pitch
Old 07-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking beginner

i couldnt recomend a nitro for a beginner.

as for electric rtr cars,losi has a brushless rtr stadium now,and the associated T4 rtr are about 400 bucks.sportweks have a stadium as well called the raven that is cheaper than the associated and losi ones and has a lot of nice features.

if you want a truck to bash with that is tough and easy to get parts for,the traxxas stampede and rustler are probably 2 of the best value for money trucks on the market.they now come with 12 turn motors etc now too. im sure the rustler would be a good stadium for a beginner class at the race track as well.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Wait a lil longer and invest in a Team Associated RC10GT-2
Old 07-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the advice with it all...

The car is a birthday gift for my brother and he has been messing around with electric trucks and buggies for a while and is keen to go to nitro but cant afford to outlay that sort of money at the moment.

If parts are readily available for it ill prob go for it, and im not to worried if it has a bigger engine than one that is for club racing as he just plays in the dust with most his mates who have trucks.

Ill prob be buying one from RCHobbies within the next week and ill let ya know how it goes when he gets it.

THanks,

Josh
Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
P.s. Lol, sorry if that sounded like a sales pitch
Even if it was, its very appropriate for your avatar :P