Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
What's wrong with racing in OZ >

What's wrong with racing in OZ

What's wrong with racing in OZ

Old 01-18-2003, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default What's wrong with racing in OZ

With the upcoming Victorian Titles now having been postponed due to lack of entries, I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone may have a comment on this topic.

I find it a bit odd that an event that I consider to be at the very least, the forth most major I.C event behind the Nationals, NSW Titles and Queensland Titles (sorry Qld) in Australia, unable to attract enough entries to stage the event.

This follows last years S.A Titles being cancelled all together. Seems to be a disturbing trend developing here.

The Victorians didnít help their cause in getting people to return to an event they are likely to host in the future, by the way the Nationals were conducted last year and the general doubt over their venue but you would think with the prestige of a State Title on the line that they could field enough entries to run an event.

So whereís the problem?

Is there one?

Is it with the host club and their lack of ability to firstly notify people of when itís on in time, (same time each year) or at the very least run the event?

The classes raced?

Maybe you donít want to find out if you are as good as you think?

Or does the problem exist with our main sanctioning body and the lack of communication with all things concerning the current rules and or changes that affect these meetings?

Somebody or something must be responsible for what seems the lack of interest in some of our premiere events.

Maybe there is no problem and everything is just fine the way it is?

Craig
Old 01-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i dont really have an answer to this...

but 'carpark' club meetings by all accounts are going very well accross the country (well nsw, act and qld is where i get most of my info from - maybe people are headding towards more 'relaxed' forms of racing or the big 'promoted' events are what people hang out for and are at least perceved to have greater status - given the numbers attending these events.

perhaps aarcmcc can be held accountable to some extent (on the nsw state's thread ive asked about 3 times for dates of aarcmcc sanctioned events with no reply) getting dates out there be it thorugh formal or informal channels (like here) is vital... i know i need almost a couple of months notice before i get let out

i know people who said they would never go to a vic event after the nats (other people made similar comments after the roorda nsw on roads too mind you! so no one is immune form putting on a "disaster") maybe your right with that factor

maybe the organisers should have sorted something out with vortec - its been a while (if ever) since they had to can an event?

Last edited by contact; 01-18-2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

My opinions for what they are worth:

1. Generally all the racing events I attend are well run and fun.
2. We need Australia wide rules badly, similar concept to ROAR.
3. I am very unlikely to fork out the dough to travel interstate just to race my toy car
Old 01-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

G'day Craig

I heard the news today about the Vics...pretty sad I think

I reckon (personally) that maybe the reason behind the low entries could be the big swing towards the "sport" type / VORTEC class racing down here in Victoria.....I raced at Lilydale last weekend , there were probably 4 or 5 x 1/8th scales, 8 or so 1/10th 235 mm, all others were nitro tourers...maybe 10 all up.

I would have thought that since the Vic titles were only a few weekends away we'd have a far greater turn out...specially in the traditional 1/8th & 1/10 x 235 mm classes

There would have to be 20 -30 other guys who have nitro tourers (VORTEC spec), but can't race at the AARCMCC sanctioned events because their cars simply don't comply.....and yes, I do know and understand the difference between racing at VORTEC level or at National level !

Perhaps this could be a reason for the low entries and hence the cancellation of the event...(not my reason for not racing the Vics anyway!)

What do you reckon?

Lue

Last edited by Sp Racer; 01-18-2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

MRCCR are a VORTEC affiliated club, but VORTEC has nothing at all to do with their running of the Vic Titles. We dont interfere with the 'normal' 1/8th, 1/10th, 235mm stuff. That's not really our jurisdiction.

Lue may well be right though, there is definitely a trend toward the Nitro Tourers and it may well be at the expense of the more traditional Nitro classes.

TG

Last edited by tony gray; 01-18-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Just a quick reply.

Our club (Qld) didn't even get notification the the event was even running. So how can we go to these events if we don't even know they are running??

Jeffrey
Old 01-18-2003, 09:26 PM
BG
Tech Addict

Yes so sad too bad............ as the saying goes.

I found out friday night that the there was going to be a postponement. After having spent a fare share of my earnings for the big meeting, I bitterly feel disapointed.
All the drivers that have entered were from Victoria, and they were primarily 60% of the current members. There was absolutely no interest from anyother state outside of Victoria apart from Rob Reade and maybe Chris Reade.
This would haveto be a low point in the MRCCR Inc history. Yes I agree, with every event there is always your usual irritating people that make events that more difficult. I have been to many myself and have always been involved of heard of instances were one has turned and shouted out that they will never attend that event again.
State events are just that. Its a place that were interstate clubs gather and put on a show. Its all about supporting the other states titles.
There may be case that MRCCR Inc has just hosted the National titles, and that is explainable.
If you really want to know why there was that lack of entrys, you would need to ask the majority of the drivers that always travel interstate and you guys know who they are.
May it also be that the same weekend another event is being held, the so called SummerNats. You would think that the organisers of that event would know better not to run there event on the same weekend.
Ohh well....I think that drummong up support from Victorians to attend other Sate Titles might be a little grim at the moment.

Cheers BG
Old 01-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Howdy BG how goes it.

Sounds like there may be a few problems after all.

I don't think the Summer Nat's thing is that relevant, I may be wrong but I think it is more of a Meca/DSI style event in that it is for electric/gas tourer type cars. (Don't worry I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

BTW The reason I wasn't going, no car.

Only got it last Friday and I haven't had time to open it yet.

There was nothing concrete as to when it would be here so I didn't plan anything.

Craig
Old 01-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Tech Addict

Default aarcmcc ?

I would be grateful if someone could tell me who is excatly is aarcmcc ? I have no idea who they represent, nor have I ever met a rep from aarcmcc. they are an unseen organisation who is supposed to approve rules ?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 11:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default Cost outta control ?

The other thing is the spiralling cost of racing at the top level. How can I import a motor from a shop in the U.S. and have it landed here for $50 when the shops are trying to charge me $100+ for the same motor.

We must be making some people (importers) very very rich.

I have noticed recently the $AUS going up, who reckons the importers will drop their prices ?
Old 01-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Cost outta control ?

Originally posted by dragon26
We must be making some people (importers) very very rich.

I have noticed recently the $AUS going up, who reckons the importers will drop their prices ?

in your dreams common be serious making less than 100% profit on any hobby item's is just not an option
Old 01-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi Craig,

A few reasons none of us are going to Vic titles this year.
Firstly we received no notification or entry forms or info regarding the titles. Also were just there for the Nats and can't really justify another trip down. Another would be that allot of the usual guys who travel from here are gearing up for the Qld's, Nats and 8th and 5th Worlds later this year. We've also lost 3 from 235mm who have gone 5th scale so as to attend the worlds and another 3 from 8th who have done the same. Some were dissapointed with the way the Nats were handled and said they would give it a miss this year.

I imagine most of the usual characters will be in NSW at Easter other than those that have changed to 5th.

Cheers Alastair
Old 01-19-2003, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: aarcmcc ?

Originally posted by dragon26
I would be grateful if someone could tell me who is excatly is aarcmcc ? I have no idea who they represent, nor have I ever met a rep from aarcmcc. they are an unseen organisation who is supposed to approve rules ?

Thanks
Obviously you have never raced at a State Title or National Event, or you are a carpark racer.

AARCMCC is the Australian Association of Radio Controlled Model Car Clubs. Its through this orginisation that Australian RC Drivers, who race IFMAR classes, are able to compete internationally.

The Associatioon is made up of the Major State Clubs and has been conducting State and National Racing Events for over 20 years.

And we don't approve rules, the state clubs approve the rules.

Regards.
Anthony Gattellaro
Secretary
AARCMCC
Old 01-19-2003, 03:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by quozl
Hi Craig,

A few reasons none of us are going to Vic titles this year.
Firstly we received no notification or entry forms or info regarding the titles. Also were just there for the Nats and can't really justify another trip down. Another would be that allot of the usual guys who travel from here are gearing up for the Qld's, Nats and 8th and 5th Worlds later this year. We've also lost 3 from 235mm who have gone 5th scale so as to attend the worlds and another 3 from 8th who have done the same. Some were dissapointed with the way the Nats were handled and said they would give it a miss this year.

I imagine most of the usual characters will be in NSW at Easter other than those that have changed to 5th.

Cheers Alastair
Most of the NSW members had decided not to go to Vic, before X-mass. Apart from just being there for a washed out Nationals, and having family commitments during the holiday season, it seemed highly unlikely that most of us would make the journey.

I ussually gauge the anticipated entries to an event by finding out how many Qld and Nsw Members will attend. If both these clubs attend an event, the event is a great one.

It's ashame that the event has been mared by its postponement, but inevitably it will have been a good decesion.

So as QUOZL and I have pointed out, it mainly was a matter of timing, an event held in the last week of January is highly unlikely to draw a good entry rate, it would have to be a Nationals, so I wouldn't really read much into some of the previous comments made.

A.G.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default AARCMCC

Unfortunately anthony I'm not a car park racer. I have been racing at national level for queit some time. Just last year I was Orrca Victoria president.

"The Associatioon is made up of the Major State Clubs and has been conducting State and National Racing Events for over 20 years."

I have never met, seen, spoken to or know of a rep from aarcmcc maybe our secetary used to deal with you ?

What does the association actually do for the racer ? do you actually do anything to promote organise events at national or state level ?

Do you take an affiliation fee from members ? What do they get for their money ?

All I recall is that we used to have to send of money to aarcmcc for what I really not sure.

Maybe one of the problems is that you don't implement rules or else we would have standard rules across Australia not the current situation.

So what does the association actually do ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service