*** 124 km/h 1/12th scale electric RC car ***

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

*** 124 km/h 1/12th scale electric RC car ***

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info rc12l3. Good luck with your land rocket! MWAHAHA!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

sorry guys the last week has been all wet and rainy, havent had a clear day yet to get a video done. but rest assured, i havent forgot.

cheers.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc12l3
sorry guys the last week has been all wet and rainy, havent had a clear day yet to get a video done. but rest assured, i havent forgot.

cheers.
When you do plan your run, let us know the time and place.. would like to come have a look if I can make it. I live in guildford, so I'm just round the corner from you.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

hey guys... i might have something of interest for you :~)

http://www.rcracer.com.au/forum/view...?p=38637#38637

i've managed to fit 12 cells in this car rather easily, i'm sure it could fit at least 4 lipo packs in it

at one stage i had a lexan undertray on it, though that's since been removed & thrown out...

http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00022.JPG
and all kitted up for the speed run...
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00292.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00293.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00294.JPG

needless to say that the speedy pictured is no longer alive

i cant really afford to be doing insane speed runs anymore, and when i can afford it again, i'll be going down the route of rare earth motors and microswitches, most likely in something 4wd
Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

pm sent
Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaybo
hey guys... i might have something of interest for you :~)

http://www.rcracer.com.au/forum/view...?p=38637#38637

i've managed to fit 12 cells in this car rather easily, i'm sure it could fit at least 4 lipo packs in it

at one stage i had a lexan undertray on it, though that's since been removed & thrown out...

http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00022.JPG
and all kitted up for the speed run...
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00292.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00293.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00294.JPG

needless to say that the speedy pictured is no longer alive

i cant really afford to be doing insane speed runs anymore, and when i can afford it again, i'll be going down the route of rare earth motors and microswitches, most likely in something 4wd
Jaybo that's a great set up man.
How did you like the capped tires , did you run on Oval or street ?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

the caps are fantastic, damned expensive but the only real option for racing on concrete velodromes

we ran at the coburg velodrome a few times, and i ran it once at the back of harvey norman in thomastown (which explains the 12 cells)
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

wow this is awesome, I live near Parra, and would love to lend a hand sometime...

a couple more ideas for you...

1. you could employ a set of wheelie bars, similar to what top fuel dragsters use to keep their noses on the ground. The idea being that the nose cant lift, becasue the driving wheels have to lift off the ground at the same time, which causes the rotational force from the rear wheels to reduce (as they are now slipping) thus controling the amount of torque applied.

i dont know if that makes sense, but in my mind it is clear as day...

2. you could get a gyro, i was just reading about these tihngs. they are used in planes to aid with stability. basically it senses movement in aparticular direction ( in your case - nose going up) and applies a counter measure, say a recessed control surface (like an aileron in plane) in the nose would raise to apply additional downforce at the front...

let me know how you go.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PeteB
wow this is awesome, I live near Parra, and would love to lend a hand sometime...

a couple more ideas for you...

1. you could employ a set of wheelie bars, similar to what top fuel dragsters use to keep their noses on the ground. The idea being that the nose cant lift, becasue the driving wheels have to lift off the ground at the same time, which causes the rotational force from the rear wheels to reduce (as they are now slipping) thus controling the amount of torque applied.

i dont know if that makes sense, but in my mind it is clear as day...

2. you could get a gyro, i was just reading about these tihngs. they are used in planes to aid with stability. basically it senses movement in aparticular direction ( in your case - nose going up) and applies a counter measure, say a recessed control surface (like an aileron in plane) in the nose would raise to apply additional downforce at the front...

let me know how you go.

the wheelie bar thing wont work unfortunately... dragsters use it to stop the force from the wheels from flipping them over, not the force from the air

as soon as the nose goes up, wheelie bar or not, rc cars take flight :~)

gyro might have some merit though... drifters apparently use them as well to aid in drifting (cheating hacks~!), might help with stability a bit
Old 07-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Tech Regular

But surely , if the bar was set up so that it was causing more downward pressure on the front wheels, that would keep it down at least a bit more than it is now...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by PeteB
But surely , if the bar was set up so that it was causing more downward pressure on the front wheels, that would keep it down at least a bit more than it is now...
to put more pressure on the front wheels, it'd have to lift the rears off the ground

it'd have to be a very long bar to keep it on the ground and make a difference - the sort of length where you'd not even bother with a pan car, and just use a drag rail
Old 07-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

another idea...
stemming from a couple of years of studying fluid mechanics...
seal the underside of the chassis with a sheet of lexan or similar, and raise the rear end a bit (not sure if htis is possible, maybe just some larger diameter tyres would be enough) the car moving forward at very high speed would create suction beneath the car. might not be much, but every little bit counts, and this shouldnt cost too much...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybo
to put more pressure on the front wheels, it'd have to lift the rears off the ground

it'd have to be a very long bar to keep it on the ground and make a difference - the sort of length where you'd not even bother with a pan car, and just use a drag rail
the bar would need to be sprung somehow, and not rigid, to allow the rear wheels sufficiant contact with the ground, whist putting more weight at the front. say for example the car weighs 1000 grams (for sake of calculation). and at the moment the distribution is 60/40 toward the rear, so thats 300g on each rear wheel, and 200g on each front wheel, if you could change the distribuiton with some wheelie bars to say 200g at each front, 200g at each wheelie bar wheel and 100g at each driving wheel...

might work...maybe

ok so maybe no *extra* weight at the front, but just a re-distribution of the current weight
Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

As Jay, is trying to explain the wheelie bar would neeeed to be really long, probly 3-4 times the length of the chassis, as he also said when the front lifts the car whole car flys, (As Jays Did at The Valedrome once ). I Think If I remember Correctly He Even Tried A Front Spoiler ? Which Added TOO much downforce At The front,

Cant Wait To See A Vid Of This Thing Tho ...

-
John
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Tech Regular

sure, ok, no wheelie bar

so maybe a front wing hooked up to a gyro to control its pitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.