R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Australian Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/)
-   -   Brushless ESC's and Motors - a total joke (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/119257-brushless-escs-motors-total-joke.html)

cannon 06-25-2006 08:12 PM

Brushless ESC's and Motors - a total joke

Well I watched the practice and racing at the just completed Winterchamps and all I can say is that the brushless revolution is a total joke. Thermal shutdown, total meltdown and just poor performance has put us back 20 years. The manufacturers of this rubbish have hoisted a joke on the R/C industry.

Yes they are fast but they can't complete a race. Drivers are trying to tip toe after half a race to try to avoid thermal shutown.

Yes, some drivers had no problems but they were generally slow and completely off the pace. If the track is very small then you most likely be OK but a larger track you have no hope.

Gearing down doesn't help...they still thermal. I have never seen so many speed controls/motors die in such a short period of time. These systems were supposed to be the economic saviour for Modified. At this rate they are only lasting a couple of race meets if you are lucky.

The solution ..... ban the damn things until the manufacturers can supply a reliable product that can complete a race at race pace.

Your thoughts

The Fuhrer 06-25-2006 08:48 PM

ON ROAD is a total joke!!!

Cannon,

On Road is the joke here, not Brushless.
With the new generation of batteries I don't think even a brushed motor would survive.
How many A finalists were using brushed motors BTW????

cannon 06-25-2006 08:59 PM

None as far I know. They weren't fast enough or they dumped !!!

black-knight 06-25-2006 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by cannon
Well I watched the practice and racing at the just completed Winterchamps and all I can say is that the brushless revolution is a total joke. Thermal shutdown, total meltdown and just poor performance has put us back 20 years. The manufacturers of this rubbish have hoisted a joke on the R/C industry.

Yes they are fast but they can't complete a race. Drivers are trying to tip toe after half a race to try to avoid thermal shutown.

Yes, some drivers had no problems but they were generally slow and completely off the pace. If the track is very small then you most likely be OK but a larger track you have no hope.

Gearing down doesn't help...they still thermal. I have never seen so many speed controls/motors die in such a short period of time. These systems were supposed to be the economic saviour for Modified. At this rate they are only lasting a couple of race meets if you are lucky.

The solution ..... ban the damn things until the manufacturers can supply a reliable product that can complete a race at race pace.

Your thoughts

This is cleary not the case at all tracks is it... lets see what happens at the worlds... brushed will likley win, but there well be the following BL brands on track, GM, Novak, Orion, Much*More, LRP / Reedy, Tekin (maybe), Hacker (maybe).

Cleary BL is good for some (most) tracks, and tricky at others. BL at Castle Hill, SMA or EC quite fast and very useful. Helles is a large track the flat speed tests any system, brushed or brushless.

No one is forced to run BL. From what i have seen BL has encouraged more people at club level to run Mod. At the majority of popular clubs running a mod class, Brushed can complete with BL. I have not personally seen one blow up yet... i hope too...i'm told they smoke like a space shuttle launch.

For me BL is a total blessing, the total joke is that your so passionate but dont run mod lol

arcee10 06-25-2006 09:40 PM

hey Greg! problem is they can't cope with the power of your FERAL batteries. Time we went back to sanyo 1700sce's.lol

cannon 06-25-2006 09:40 PM

THe Worlds will be no test... they can afford to throw the unit after every race. Although rumours were that at the test run at the track no one could finish 5 minutes because of the heat.

Atomix 06-25-2006 10:04 PM

Moorebank was always going to be a tough test for the Mod guys, brushed or brushless.

Would love to see if we would have seen shutdowns at a smaller track like Fairy Meadow for eg.

Rody 06-25-2006 10:19 PM

Hey Greg, why would you ban them??? If they are so bad, it's peoples choice not to use them. I have had a Novak 4.5 for a while now and have not had a drama. It has run flawlessly. Maybe your right, and i cant push it hard enough to thermal it :lol: , but as far as im concerned, it's the future of EP and im glad it's here!

Go Team Orange!!! ;)

Historic Racer 06-25-2006 10:42 PM

Thats the bonus of mod, users choice. I bet at the worlds that brushed motors arnt used repeatedly either. BL rules at our track against brushed and thats a open fast circuit in the heat. Not saying they cant be beaten either.

xxblackheartxx2 06-25-2006 11:03 PM

Thermal shutdown???:confused: ............ive got a solution.......... just stick a fan on the motor and speedy and bye bye thermal shut down :blush:

tony2 06-25-2006 11:09 PM

problem is that even with large heatsinks and fans on both motor and speedy they will still shut down

pyrosian 06-25-2006 11:13 PM

Uhhh.... the Novak unit does have a fan on top of the ESC out of the box. A fan on the motor is totally un-necessary.

I still run brushed motors for the simple reason that i don't think that BL technology in touring cars is advanced enough yet to handle the huge loads we put upon them. If a speed control gets that hot that it needs a fan just to operate at normal levels it says to me that something is wrong. I believe part of the problem may be that the current crop of BL ESC's on the market are dual purpose for both brushed and brushless running. This leads to an excess in circuitry and programming. I personally hope that the next units product by the big companies will be designed solely around BL and therefore will run better and cooler.

Just my 2c

Bit_Rusty 06-25-2006 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by cannon
THe Worlds will be no test... they can afford to throw the unit after every race.

Same could be said for the brushed guys tho surely? I dont imagine they'd think twice about replacing their 6x1 motor for every heat?

TomB 06-26-2006 12:06 AM

honestly how many times do we race electric at mbank? but i do agree, the shutdown issue is a concern. on medium sized tracks it seems ok....i think :lol: :p

i agree with pyrosian, just design it as a brushless esc only, cut the size down, and cut the crap :D

Dragonfire 06-26-2006 12:33 AM

How many brushed made the A final?

Yes they are fast but they can't complete a race. Drivers are trying to tip toe after half a race to try to avoid thermal shutown. Yes, some drivers had no problems but they were generally slow and completely off the pace.
10th to 2nd in last A final... not very far behind 1st... No thermal, No smoke, No dump, but heaps of mashing throttle!

On Road is the joke here, not Brushless.
With the new generation of batteries I don't think even a brushed motor would survive.
I have found 7turns useless now as they burn out before the end of a race... even V2's are good for 1 run only... so batts are the most likely culprit

I still run brushed motors for the simple reason that i don't think that BL technology in touring cars is advanced enough yet to handle the huge loads we put upon them. If a speed control gets that hot that it needs a fan just to operate at normal levels it says to me that something is wrong.
Try running your home computer without the fan.... Smoke??? Guess there is something wrong....

Brushless is the future.. it is at least as quick as a brushed motor on any track. Like I said in another thread... mayb they need to be driven a different way to extract the best performance without thermaling/exploding the speedy. It seems the same ppl always having the problems with others having no trouble at all.