Wiki Posts
Search

Electric racing advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Electric racing advice

Hi all

OK. We are down the track a little more. I have an 05 that we have been racing 540 and having a good time with. Learning all the time. It has a No limit speedie that has been performing fine and I purchased a pair of 4200 feral packs and a Novak Discharge tray.

A couple of problems. It takes so long to discharge the 4200 packs that I am not really ready for the last race on the night (use pack for first race, discharge to 0.9v then charge at 5A and only barely make it for the last race).

So I am thinking of getting a couple of smaller packs, say 3700, 3800. What do you guys suggest? Feral? Harris? other? What to look for? What to avoid? I am told the 4200 are heavier than the 3800's. Given that we have to add weight to race the 05 or t2, does this really matter? For 540, do you really need matched packs given how little they take out of the battery?

I am setting up a t2 with a novak gtx for the next stage, probably stock next while still playing with the 540 as well in the fk05. Motors? Good? Bad?

Thanks for the advice,
Glenn
Old 06-01-2006, 03:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking

i cant see why you need to discharge after the first race,racing 540 you could easily get in 2 races with the 4200 pack.or even just peak it.
racing modified or stock might be a different story but.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Glenn,
What are you using to discharge your packs? Your post isnt entirely clear, what type of charger do you have?. In terms of charging, 6.0 amp is probably a better option & will give you more punch to boot.

You really only need to equalise your cells when you next go to the track, discharge your pack, then pop your cells on the smart tray before you start your charging.

The T2 is a great car & you will enjoy plenty of trackside support as they are a very popular car at the moment. GTX is a good choice of ESC. It is very versatile & are very reliable. Feral Cells are a popular choice for batteries.

Cheers
Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.

I am using a Novak Smart Tray and a Swallow Advance at present. I am keen for a new charger and a new battery pack. Considering the Supernova Competition. I was told I should discharge and recharge after each race. I have noticed that on the night, if I discharge and recharge on the night, it seems to go a heap better. Is this not right? Given that we run 3 races and a final at Windsor on Friday night, what would be the best way to go?

I am going to have a go at Meca on July 2. What would be the best way to approach batteries, charging, discharging etc.

What about stock motors? Is there any particular brand that is the better one? What about brushes etc. I know little here and am keen to learn.

Glenn
Old 06-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking trinity

the trinity monster stocks are the goods,but the new trinity co27 is sposed to be even better.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah with 540 racing its a pain having to charge and discharge batteries when you know you only need half the juice, but then with stock racing i personally think that 4200 mAh is overkill anyway. If you want to be competitive you will need to run fresh batteries, dont run two race on one charge.

I have been told that IBs can go mushy if used more than once or twice in a day. Further to this prior to recharging batteries you should be allowing them to cool sufficiently (remember cold on the outside does not mean the battery is cold on the inside. I would be inclined not to discharge the battery but instead to leave it for an hour or so before recharging the batteries.

There are a few high-amp dischargers now available. I believe arcadia hobbies is importing in a unit which will discharge at about 30-35 Amps. Further to this, batteries seem to prefer being discharged at higher rates

With regards to matched batteries, you dont need matched batteries for 540 racing, however, high voltage low IR batteries will make a BIG difference to performance.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I have to agree with the verdict on the CO27. They are a awesome motor with 4200's.

Try charging 4200's at 6 amps. I run stock and at the end of the race, I equal all cells and leave them like that until the next race meet. I would recommend Feral batteries. I own the new Eastpower (red and black) packs and I do have to say, they are fantastic! As with 540, you can use the pack twice without any loss of punch. A 540 seems to take out only 1500 each race.

I also own a T2 and it has taken a while to find a good setup. I will PM you with my set up and it may well be a good starting point for you.