R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Australian Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/)
-   -   Discharge Trays? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/115984-discharge-trays.html)

Monaro_Racing 05-30-2006 05:23 PM

Discharge Trays?

I am looking to get a fancy pants discharge tray in the near future and am wandering what the best one around is.

I have looked at the Novak Smart Tray and the Team Wake Lightning and am leaning towards the lightning at the moment because of the larger screen and blue back light

are there any others i should look at? and am I leaning in the right direction?

v0rtex 05-30-2006 05:41 PM

What cells are you discharging?

Adam.A 05-30-2006 05:43 PM

Team Wave

I have a wave and seems to be going well but I have noticed that the main button seems to be not responding well and needs to be pressed several times before it will work. But other than that seems to be very good.

aus jd 2703 05-30-2006 05:46 PM

yeh check out the much more personal matcher its what id buy if i had the money its a novak smart tray and trinity dyna discharge in one got my vote

Monaro_Racing 05-30-2006 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by v0rtex
What cells are you discharging?

I have GP 4300 matched packs from Harris and Feral.

I will have a look at the much more personal matcher..... sounds interesting

DiscoStu 05-30-2006 06:28 PM

Have been using the Novak smart tray for about a year with no probs. You can adjust the discharge cut off value and even zero it if you are into that sort of thing.

aus jd 2703 05-30-2006 07:37 PM

yeh i have a novak and use gp3700 and want to take em down to 0.0v is there away
he is right novak is awsome

v0rtex 05-30-2006 07:59 PM

Be careful taking any cells other than GP3300's down to 0.0v. Some are never the same again..

TomB 05-31-2006 05:12 AM

ok, i've owned a novak smart tray, used a lightning discharge tray extensively and own a CTX-D.

NOVAK
-works really well, has a low discharge current, so the cells will be equalised "better". i e the slow discharge takes more power out.
-has deadshort feature and adjustable from .1 to .9

DISADVANTAGES
-the unit does not keep the cells at the designated cut of once the lights go out though. but you can press the button again untill all batt lights tunr of at roughly the same time
-contact bars sometimes don't make contact when you use corrally pins. i fixxed this issue by soldering a corrally plug on a wire to the bar, and then putting the plug in the tube when discharging to ensure it didn't disconect.

TEAM WAVE
-has choice of dicharge levels from .4 to .9 i beleive.
-also has 9 deep cycle levels, so batteries are discharged really well, with this feature the cells are held at the designated level
-ir readings, and volt readings

DISADVANTAGES
-i found also with a friends unit the button didn't work at first press
-contact bars sometimes don't make contact, and need to be pushed in slightly

CTX-D
-has dead short, 0.1 to .9 cut of, and has a 30 amp pulse discharge
-has volr readings and ir readings and discharge time readings

DISADVANTAGES
-there is a new version with 12 screw pins, and new software, and a old version with just six. make sure you don't get the old version
-price is steep!

in my opinion, i have a ctxd but i can't justify the price i payed for it. the 30 amp discharge is great, but the team wave has better discharge software. the team wave isn't perfect, and doesn't have 30 amp discharge but it is cheaper and does, in some situations a better job than the ctxd.

i found i was dicharging on the ctxd then deep discharging (to 0.9, at the level 9 discharge) with the wave when i was getting my new packs ready.

get the wave, if you can get it for anything under $200. novak is perfect if you are on a budget. you can get a second hand one for $80 to $100 aussie.

cannon 05-31-2006 06:23 AM

Most of these discharge trays are not discharge ... but they are equalising trays. Yoiu use them to equalise the cells before charging again. You need to discharge at a high a rate as possible...trhen use the trays to equalise the cells.

johnny5 05-31-2006 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Novak Smart Tray as you know it is discontinued and a new model will be released any day now check following link
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/di..._se/index.html

check this link
http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/main...e/battery.html

Trinity has a new equalising tray with dyna pulse discharger
DPD DYNA PRO DIGITAL DISCHARGER FOR THE SERIOUS RACER
For the serious R/C racer who demands the best when it comes to caring for his batteries we present the DPD. The Dyna Pro Digital discharger is designed to discharge and condition your Ni-MH and Ni-Cd battery packs for the best performance and longest usable race life.

Linear and Dyna Pulse Discharges (considered the state of the art for Ni-MH cell conditioning and rejuvenation) both side by side or stick battery packs.
3 amp linear discharge. 30 amp Dyna Pulse conditioning discharge. Discharges and conditions 4 or 6 cell side x side packs. Discharges 4 to 9 cell packs with external leads. Adjustable cut off voltage, number of cells, pulse or linear discharge, internal or external charging modes. Displays individual cell and total pack results, discharge time, average voltage, internal resistance, mAh. Superior battery clamping system for positive contact. No power supply needed, runs off AA batteries.

Part#, TRI22003 (i think this would be the one for my money)

see picture attached

Marc_05 05-31-2006 11:16 PM

cant find the trinity discharger, its gone, or is it:confused: :sneaky:

johnny5 06-01-2006 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Marc_05
cant find the trinity discharger, its gone, or is it:confused: :sneaky:

Its listed in the new Trinity catalogue but its a 50MB download

www.teamtrinity.com/TrinityDownload2high.pdf

Monaro_Racing 06-01-2006 03:35 PM

Cool, thanks for all the info guys. I think i will go with the Team Wave Lighting....... yes the blue back light sold me :weird:

johnny5 06-02-2006 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Monaro_Racing
Cool, thanks for all the info guys. I think i will go with the Team Wave Lighting....... yes the blue back light sold me :weird:

Old proverb: All that glitters is not necessarily gold