R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Australian Racing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing-29/)
-   -   1:12 Scale at SMA. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/110961-1-12-scale-sma.html)

Decathalon 04-20-2006 06:25 PM

1:12 Scale at SMA.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Over the past few weeks, several 1:12 cars have run around at the SMA club in Tempe. Despite people saying it can't be done outside or without traction compound, we've had 4 of the little beasts running around and the traction with the right tyres, but no traction compound is better than most people think, by far. We've run 2 practice nights and 1 meeting , all on Tuesday nights down at SMA and had a ball each time. Little buggers even topped the radar gun sheets with only 4 cells, over touring mod. Top Speed approx 65kph on a single tennis court!!! Lapwise we ran 18 laps ( in 5 mins ) of a tight SMA layout 2 weeks ago and equilvalent of 20 to 21 laps this week with more tuning on the same track and they can only get faster with more experience. :)

Anyway, before you party poopers out there ( Mr Bersercoe :sneaky: , Mr Wood :nod: , Mr Grant :p etc etc trash the idea of running without traction compound, get out there with us and have a go down at SMA ! ( all that is said toungue in cheek gentlemen ;) ) I know we aren't running Masami pace out there, but hell we are having fun and lap times have improved over 2 seconds a lap in the last week, just with some simple setup, tire selection and trying to drive a little smoother.

Anyone and everyone with a 1:12 pan car, get your arse to SMA on Tuesday nights to give it a go!

Thomas B, I know you have been snooping about asking 1:12 q's on here, just get one man! :nod:

1:12 Scale pan cars at SMA...whhhooooooooohhhhhhhooooooooooo :lol: :tire:

black-knight 04-20-2006 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Decathalon
Ladies and Gentlemen

Over the past few weeks, several 1:12 cars have run around at the SMA club in Tempe. Despite people saying it can't be done outside or without traction compound, we've had 4 of the little beasts running around and the traction with the right tyres, but no traction compound is better than most people think, by far. We've run 2 practice nights and 1 meeting , all on Tuesday nights down at SMA and had a ball each time. Little buggers even topped the radar gun sheets with only 4 cells, over touring mod. Top Speed approx 65kph on a single tennis court!!! Lapwise we ran 18 laps ( in 5 mins ) of a tight SMA layout 2 weeks ago and equilvalent of 20 to 21 laps this week with more tuning on the same track and they can only get faster with more experience.

Anyway, before you party poopers out there ( Mr Bersercoe , Mr Wood , Mr Grant etc etc trash the idea of running without traction compound, get out there with us and have a go down at SMA ! ( all that is said toungue in cheek gentlemen ) I know we aren't running Masami pace out there, but hell we are having fun and lap times have improved over 2 seconds a lap in the last week, just with some simple setup, tire selection and trying to drive a little smoother.

Anyone and everyone with a 1:12 pan car, get your arse to SMA on Tuesday nights to give it a go!

Thomas B, I know you have been snooping about asking 1:12 q's on here, just get one man!

1:12 Scale pan cars at SMA...whhhooooooooohhhhhhhooooooooooo

I was watching the 1/12ths and im pretty keen to pull one of mine of the shelf.. soft rear tires should do the job. Mr Besercoe has about 25 1/12ths so maybe he can also be convinced to have a go.

TomB 04-20-2006 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by black-knight
I was watching the 1/12ths and im pretty keen to pull one of mine of the shelf.. soft rear tires should do the job. Mr Besercoe has about 25 1/12ths so maybe he can also be convinced to have a go.

yep, some of the guys are beginners so they aren't too clued up on setup (tyre choice) and stuff but they are getting there. one of the guys that races mini, Andrew has his looking pritty good on the track.

if the SMA guys can post what tyres they run this might help people get the right stuff fromt he word go. with servos, speedy, tyres, 3 packs the car it would cost me about $500, so i have to see how my budget is first. i wanna save up to go overseas next year :o

lineburner 04-21-2006 03:57 AM

I would love to come down just a couple of questions.

1. Why no traction compounds?
2. When do you race?

Decathalon 04-21-2006 04:57 AM

lineburner, as far as traction compounds, well so far we want to see if its possible to run without them mainly as its easier and a lot less messy. Secondly being on a tennis court that is council property, I'm not sure the council really want us putting anything on the court via our tires. Something that needs to be discussed more at the club if the class takes off I guess. Having said that I did try Corally Jack the Ripper compound last week and it actually made the car almost undrivable. Zero rear Traction. I spoke to DC at Custom Model cars and he said that if the track is dirty enough, then sometimes compound can actually make it worse, maybe holds the dust on the tires. Anyway we seem to have ok grip so far.

We are racing this coming Wednesday ( usually Tuesday nights but shifted just this week for ANZAC Day). Then its every second tuesday after that. Also Tourers and Nitro on the Sundays following the Tues night races. Check our website for details. www.smaracing.org :)

Cheers

Z-Mann 04-23-2006 01:31 AM

12th scale action at fairy meadow today
file deleted

cannon 04-23-2006 01:47 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but if any of you 4 cell racers want a cheap GP4300 pack, I have 4 loose matched cells that don't have the 5th& 6th cell to make a 6 cell pack. Just PM me.

Decathalon 04-23-2006 04:28 AM

Dennis, thanks for the video. Very cool ;)

Cannon, no probs, thanks for the bump :sneaky:

Ummm as far as tires etc for SMA, so far either Jaco Purple or Double pink fronts and TRC Platinum rears seem the go so far. Tried Jaco Pink rears, but a bit harder than TRC Platinums and a lot looser. Jaco's are straight bolt on the RC12L4 but hard to find here, so mail order is the go. Got mine form RCmodel.com in Hong Kong. TRC's have a minor issue in that they are slightly offset compared to the Jaco's, about 2mm. This means they foul on the rear pod lower plate. easily fixed by trimming about 1 - 1.5mm off the lower carbon plate where needed. Also if you use TRC fronts, they required flanged bearings, not the standard Associated kit ones, no big deal. Good thing is TRC's are availible here from Custom Model Cars. I noticed last week that Patrick at RC Hobby Hangar in Kogarah had some too.

Dennis, Andy and myself ran today at IMCC in Wollongong. Cool track, 8 mins races and LRP 10x2 power! :sneaky: Fast sweeper and front straight was awesome. They said we are welcome back anytime, may even run a pointscore for 1:12 scale :) Runtime wise, did 8 min races, fairly tall gearing, 10x2 and IB3800's still dumped 1200mah on avaerage after each race! :eek:

Decathalon 04-23-2006 04:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Cool 1:12 pics to wet your appetites :)

danjoy25 04-23-2006 06:51 PM

I saw Team Twister hobbies at Burwood NSW are selling a new clone 1/12 kit for $160+ which includes a body, tyres and even a stick pack.

Z-Mann 04-23-2006 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:nod: i rekon we should run 19 turn motors at sma in 12 scale class to start with then if peple show intrest even run a fully hectic open 12 scale class,
be nice if we had both tennis courts to play with :(
we welcome u to the 12 club :) :nod:

jaco double pink front,and pink rears was the tyre choice for me during the colder months last year, no traction compound and it was taking the sweeper at sma full noise with a 10turn motor :D
the jaco rears chunked easier than the TRC,s which are on the car now(jaco double pink front , trc gray shore 29 rears).
yesterday at fairy meadow
the rears started at 50.5 and finished 48.5 thats
32 minutes of racing
no chunked tyres
l
3 8min heats motor.....reedy spec quad 19mag 22/72
final 8 min motor......kyosho x speed 11t 17/72
i thought the reedy 19 performed better but lacked top end ,though that can be fixed with gearing the motor was very :cool:

tyre diameter now is
rears right .....48.5 left-48.5
front right ....44.3 left-44.3
amazing the diameter is consistant

these little beasts are fun to drive teaches you throttle control,easy to maintain and setup and you can throwem into a corner

Z-Mann 04-25-2006 07:52 PM

:batman:

Decathalon 05-08-2006 04:30 PM

1:12 on tonight at SMA

1:12 scale is on tonight at SMA, along with the usual classes, Stock, Mod, 540 and Mini. Come on down, have a beer, bistro dinner and race! ;)

Track opens 6pm, Rego at 7pm and Racing at 7.30 til 10.30ish, Jets Sports Club, Holbeach Ave Tempe.

www.smaracing.org or 0403 995320 for more details :)

BJL 05-23-2006 02:21 AM

I was wondering what chassis you guys are running and have any of you experimented with different bodies?
I run a 12L4 at Maitland with a Speed 12 body. From what I have read, the Speed 12 has supposedly more downforce than most other bodies.
I was thinking of maybe experimenting with the Parma Speed 8 or the CEFX LMP900. Have any of you guys tried these and if so what have you found?

Decathalon 05-23-2006 03:21 AM

1:12 Bodies

BJL, 3 of us are running L4's and another guy's running a Carpet Knife.

No we haven't really expiremented with bodies yet, our track is fairly small and tight so I guess downforce might not be such an issue compared to a bigger more open track. Mainly trying different tire combinations. So far Jaco purple or double pink fronts and TRC platinum rears seem the best. Motors, so far tried LRP 10x2 and Orion 13x2.

So far I've run a Corally Nissan group C ( P35 I think ) and a Trinity 310 Can Am body on my L4. I have a Speed 12 that I will run next time out. The Corally and Trinity I ran partly because they look great, but yeah I've heard the Speed 12 has the most downforce. I noticed when we ran at IMCC track which is a lot bigger and faster, when I damaged the Corally body early in the day ( one front corner got squashed in and torn a bit ) that the car seemed to understeer a fair bit more. The body appeared to be the only item damaged or tweaked so I guess it was just losing some front downforce, noticable on the faster track.

One of the other guys runs a Speed 12 but again I don't think he's used anything else, so it's hard to compare. I'll let you know if I feel anything different next time out with the Speed 12.

What chassis, tires, bodies and motors etc are the other guys up there running?