Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
brushless motors where are they at >

brushless motors where are they at

brushless motors where are they at

Old 12-20-2002, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up brushless motors where are they at

what stage are brushles motors at in australia. i have heard that one club is racing them for modified. these are supposed to be grond braking money saving equipment for r/c.
yes i know we have been useing them in planes for years but it's a little different with cars. any members of the public or comitie members form a club please post the current situation with brushless. any words of experence also.

with the serious decreasement in size some rules would need to be changed like weight restricions
Attached Thumbnails brushless motors where are they at-brushless.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Fasterdanu,

Our club has been running brushless for most of this year with great success. Our club has runs brushed and brushless motors together in mod class, the racing is still very close since the races are still only 5minutes, just that the brushless has about 3mins runtime leftover. We then split the results into the 2 seperate classes.

Over the course of this year i reckon that i've saved more money and time racing with brushless than any other form of racing i've done in over 15yrs of r/c.
There are no reasons for clubs not to allow brushless racing, it's just the fact they don't want to change.

The First Brushless club in Oz
http://www.grscomputers.com.au/perthrecc/
Old 12-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

running mod brushed and mod brushless seems to be a good idea then split the results but i have heard as well as more runtime there is ment to be considerabley more power as in takeoff and top end. what sort of equipment are you running. how many amps should the speepey be able to handle and the other thing are you using a plane styles esc or an r/c esc that can handle brushless motors.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Bottom end punch and top end speed depends on the wind of brushless your running. But overall a brushless will produce more power than a brushed motor.
You can use aircraft esc's but the software is not very well suited for use in a car. There are quite a few esc's specificaly made for cars.
For car applications i would recommend a esc with 60amps and higher.
I run Hacker motors and esc's.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Snoopy what sort of system is capable of running with 8 turn motors, run by very experienced drivers. A few of have been contemplating going brushless but have heard mixed comments, and also a price, each, and for a quantity?

You can send me details via PM or call me on 0414 864 111

Bradd Vercoe
Old 12-22-2002, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Default differences

are you noticeing any differences in battery life. how long will a brushless motor last are you still on your first. and if not does the performance deterioate as the magnets wear out and the motor gets older. other than the reason that people are affraid of change is there any other reasons why clubs arn't allowing use of brushless if the opertunity arrose i would definately swith over but the problem is then of course that the international standard is still brushless i have chated to guy's in othorm countries they don't seem to be to concernd with brushless and i'm finding more people are interested in this new teamorion v2 core modified motors useing all new technoledgie like all new endbells requireing no soldering and the windings on the armature are being changed from the standard round wire to wire thats square this eliminates the gap that you get with round wire as the is no gaps between wires giving better performance all round. these are supposed to be fully roar compatible and word of the grapevine is that it's being approved at the moment.

plese voice your opinion
Old 12-22-2002, 02:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

All it will require for local races to allow is enough people to create a class. Sure you couldnt use it at a nationals or states, but two meetings a year im sure i could arrange to go back to a conventional electric setup.

I have read that the better B/L motors use a cobalt magnet that does not get affected by heat etc, so there would be minimal deterioration in the motors performance. Again this is not from personal experience but from what i have read
Old 12-22-2002, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

All the top of the range brushless motors use neodymium magnets which are far superior to cobalt and ferrite magnets. All brushless motors must also be hand made.
I have been running the same brushless motor all season and the performance now is exactly the same as it was at the start of the season with absolutely no maintenance.
Unfortunately our r/c car scene is highly influenced by the US companies and almost all of the brushless tech comes from Germany.
Old 12-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

this is what the new square wire motors are ment to li like ths ones from trinity it's called the d5 flatliner
Attached Thumbnails brushless motors where are they at-flatlier.jpg  
Old 12-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

The D5!!!! Well I brought one while in Japan for a friend. Also another friend used one the other night. Both had the same report that the motor seemed flat. Maybe thatís why they called it a flatliner. Both are very experienced racers and I could trust their judgement and I also heard the motor, yep it looked and sounded flat.

I for one have been wanting to get a Brushless for some time. All it takes is for a few guys to get them. Maybe at the start on the racing season you will find me with one strapped in. Actually I think you will see me with one. Hey just run it on club days and as was said for two race meets a year I think I could spare some double sided tape to put the old tech back in.

As I said before if it keeps going on we will be using a Brushless motor to cut our coms.

Coxy.

Last edited by Coxy; 12-22-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Default v2

team orion are also makeing a new mtor the core v2 modified it employs similar wire but the wire isn't flat it's square see any of those in japan coxy or know of any testing i've asked a friend in america to give me more details about them he can send them to australia for me but is it worth it.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: v2

To be honest the V2 will be a great motor. But have a think about it and look at the big picture. Trinity and Orion have come out with new motors. Why would they do this if Brushless have been promised by these two companies for years and is suppose to come out soon. Novak have launched their Brushless motor for three years now at the American Hobby show. Itís still not here. Ads say this summer/winter, I am sick of seeing the ad with no product or was this a plot to make people stand off buying other manufactures Brushless motors for awhile. I think each other is living in each others pockets.

An interesting thing is that world champion motor makers are doing nothing. Or are they, I think Reedy will be the first with the biggest impact of them all. The silent manufacture is sitting in the shadows. Why, we will wait and see.

Coxy.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

I think that the new orion motors should be good, but all these big motor companies have way too much money too loose if they switched to brushless.The longer they stick with brushed motors the more money they make.
Theres no way any of my brushed motors would last me 1 whole season of weekly racing and still perform the same as my brushless.
The more of us that get on the brushless bandwagon the sooner the big companies will have to adopt the change. Then eventually there will be brushless racing at sanctioned events.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced with snoopy and have seen the brushless motors running for around 10 months now. I do believe they are they way to go in future but not at the moment for me. The brushless motors are fast ( no faster than a brushed motor of the same windings) and they do get longer run time. Racing against these motors with a brushed motor and watching them from the sidlines I have to say that the brushed motors do appear to have more punch from a standing start or out of a very slow corner, & the speed controls for the brushed motors seem to be far smoother in their transfer of power to the motor. I have been using an orion core 10x2 motor for around 4 months now in weekly racing at both on road and off road and have suffered no loss of power from it, so in other words I don't feel that I have lossed anything in money or power running a brushed motor over a brushless motor.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

brushless will not come in for a very long time, if it does at all. Why? whats in it for the motor manufacturer if the consumer makes a once off purchase of motor/speed control, and never has to upgrade because it has more than enough power, and never wears out. Plus no more brushes/springs and other little spares they sell, companies would soon go out of business.... Once they adjusted their margins to cover the losses of no longer selling many more motors and motor bit's n pieces, brushless motors would probably have to retail for somewhere around $$1000

Why would they?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service