Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing > Australian Events
Boondall Vintage RC Car Enduro/Race Day. >

Boondall Vintage RC Car Enduro/Race Day.

Boondall Vintage RC Car Enduro/Race Day.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Boondall Vintage RC Car Enduro/Race Day.

Ok Guys as mentioned I thought I should maybe start this thread as the interest in this event is getting quite high!

To anyone new that hasn't been following the conversation in our normal Vintage at Boondall thread, we have decided to run a first ever proper race meet in over 20 years at the only surviving track from the eighties in Brisbane..... if not QLD? It will at this stage comprise of some warm up races and qualifying for the 3 hour enduro to be held last thing for the day.

We haven't decided on a date just yet but at this stage it will be around May or June possibly, this will give everyone lots of time to organise things..... Also it will be in the cooler months so not so taxing on people and gear.

There will be limited spots available for teams as we are not a formal club and do not have any timing software, so as we did in the eighties we will be relying on officials to count each car as they pass the start finish line. You will require to have a full size aerial on your car for coloured tape to be attached.

So far we have decided on ruling for the enduro to be as follows.

* It will be over 3 hours.
* Each team will have 3 members
* Each team will only be allowed 3 cars to run and must be 1hr for each car.
* The cars to be used are a Insect cup car (any rigid axel car such as Grasshopper, hornet etc... we will also accept Frogs in standard form) No highly modified cars will be allowed! Kyosho Scorpion/Tomahawk/Beetle and finally an RC10 Worlds/Graphite or any aluminium pan style RC10 If your not sure if your car qualifies please ask and we will confirm.
* Each driver MUST drive all three cars in equal amounts of time to make up the hour per car.... so 20 min on each car.(This can be broken up in any way you feel, as long as you complete the 20 mins with each car!)
* One team member must be marshalling, one team member must be pitting while the other member is driving at all times of the race. To make it seamless at change over, the pit member will takeover the marshalling duties and the marshal will take over the driving, while the driver will go to pit duties. This way we have the track marshals on track at all time.
* There is no determined order of cars or drivers used throughout the race. (So if you want to put your fastest driver up first with the fastest car to make ground you can so, but once that car is on the track it must finish the hour of run time.)
* Motors..... Any Brushed or Brushless motor can be used. (Its up to you if you want long runtime and fewer pits stops with a slower car or a faster car with more pit stops..... Its the old Tortoise and Hair! )
*Batteries..... Any hard case lipo up to 5800 can be used or any NiCad 7.2v battery is allowed (no capacity limit) No modifying cars allowed to jam the biggest battery in possible!)
* Spare cars.... You may only have ONE spare car ready per class, this can only be used if the race director determines that you have a un-raceable car for that class.
* Qualifying will be done by each driver prior to the race and times totalled up, the lowest group times get poll position. (To be determined Qualifying format)

Ok that's all I can think of at the moment... if you can see any better way of doing things let me know and we will put it to the buggy council!! lol

We will need help to pull this day off, so if you are prepared to help out with official duties or know someone that will.... Please let me know.

I think there fair rules and everyone car enjoy some great competition, with some good race management and luck, everyone has a chance to take out the honours!!

Cheers,
Foggy
(Sean Leggett)

Last edited by Foggy; 01-15-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up boondall enduro

Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Ok Guys as mentioned I thought I should maybe start this thread as the interest in this event is getting quite high!

To anyone new that hasn't been following the conversation in our normal Vintage at Boondall thread, we have decided to run a first ever proper race meet in over 20 years at the only surviving track from the eighties in Brisbane..... if not QLD? It will at this stage comprise of some warm up races and qualifying for the 3 hour enduro to be held last thing for the day.

We haven't decided on a date just yet but at this stage it will be around May or June possibly, this will give everyone lots of time to organise things..... Also it will be in the cooler months so not so taxing on people and gear.

There will be limited spots available for teams as we are not a formal club and do not have any timing software, so as we did in the eighties we will be relying on officials to count each car as they pass the start finish line. You will require to have a full size aerial on your car for coloured tape to be attached.

So far we have decided on ruling for the enduro to be as follows.

* It will be over 3 hours.
* Each team will have 3 members
* Each team will only be allowed 3 cars to run and must be 1hr for each car.
* The cars to be used are a Insect cup car (any rigid axel car such as Grasshopper, hornet etc... we will also accept Frogs in standard form) No highly modified cars will be allowed! Kyosho Scorpion/Tomahawk/Beetle and finally an RC10 Worlds/Graphite or any aluminium pan style RC10 If your not sure if your car qualifies please ask and we will confirm.
* Each driver MUST drive all three cars in equal amounts of time to make up the hour per car.... so 20 min on each car.(This can be broken up in any way you feel, as long as you complete the 20 mins with each car!)
* One team member must be marshalling, one team member must be pitting while the other member is driving at all times of the race. To make it seamless at change over, the pit member will takeover the marshalling duties and the marshal will take over the driving, while the driver will go to pit duties. This way we have the track marshals on track at all time.
* There is no determined order of cars or drivers used throughout the race. (So if you want to put your fastest driver up first with the fastest car to make ground you can so, but once that car is on the track it must finish the hour of run time.)
* Motors..... Any Brushed or Brushless motor can be used. (Its up to you if you want long runtime and fewer pits stops with a slower car or a faster car with more pit stops..... Its the old Tortoise and Hair! )
*Batteries..... Any hard case lipo up to 5500 can be used or any NiCad 7.2v battery is allowed (no capacity limit) No modifying cars allowed to jam the biggest battery in possible!)
* Spare cars.... You may only have ONE spare car ready per class, this can only be used if the race director determines that you have a un-raceable car for that class.
* Qualifying will be done by each driver prior to the race and times totalled up, the lowest group times get poll position. (To be determined Qualifying format)

Ok that's all I can think of at the moment... if you can see any better way of doing things let me know and we will put it to the buggy council!! lol

We will need help to pull this day off, so if you are prepared to help out with official duties or know someone that will.... Please let me know.

I think there fair rules and everyone car enjoy some great competition, with some good race management and luck, everyone has a chance to take out the honours!!

Cheers,
Foggy
(Sean Leggett)
awesome work foggy .... ? for tribal council is it ok to retead tyres in insect class (frog tyres )
Old 01-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Tyres

Personally I cant really see a problem with that, as long as they are the same tamiya spike tyres that come with the kit and not 2.2's as far as I'm concerned.

That leads to another question..... do we make a compulsory tyre change pit stop as well?

Cheers
Foggy
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up Good work Foggy

Nice work Sean.

Battery cap maybe 5800 mah as we have a few of these from H/K in the Boondal guys.

Maybe state that the Insect Cup cars have to run per the Cup rules eg is Silver or Torque Tune Motors only.

Don't think Tyre change would be necessary if we are running three cars over 3 hrs. Only a hour each but hey maybe for fun to have a CPS even if the wheels come off and put back on.

Date needs to be set is the first big hurdle. Need to talk to everyone next meet too make sure all regulars can attend.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Happy with all that mate 5800 mah it is, and is anyone silly enough to put something bigger in a insect cup car? lol
Yes a date is first priority for sure!
Cheers,
Foggy
Old 01-16-2016, 02:54 AM
Tech Addict

Default tyre change

Personally I cant really see a problem with that, as long as they are the same tamiya spike tyres that come with the kit and not 2.2's as far as I'm concerned.

That leads to another question..... do we make a compulsory tyre change pit stop as well?

Cheers
Foggy
good idea foggy ,, help with tyre wear .. one tyre change per car would be good. maybe on one off driver changers. not additional stop.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sounds like a good idea i will do a team
Old 01-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Tech Addict

Default boondall enduro

any chance we can run numbers on car body instead of antenna
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

I guess we can use number's , just thought colors were easier to distinguish as they go past!
Cheers
Foggy
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 AM
Tech Addict

Default hypercolour

I guess we can use number's , just thought colors were easier to distinguish as they go past!
Cheers
Foggy
colours or numbers is ok no one runs arieal tube anymore ?
Old 01-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Jp if its colors it would have to be on an aerial, because it would blend in with paint scheme on a body. If there's 4 or 5 buggies going past at the same time you want your car to be recognized or thats laps you miss out on!! I wonder if anyone knows what happened to the old transponder units we used to run? It would be good to get hold of them..... probably sitting in someone's shed somewhere?
Anyway I'm just trying to keep it as simple as possible for this first one, if all goes well I'm sure we can work on bigger and better for next time!
Cheers
Foggy
Old 01-17-2016, 10:16 PM
Tech Adept

if someone has a spare car and doesnt mind me joining their team im happy to drive in this...
Old 01-18-2016, 02:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cam0_JP View Post
if someone has a spare car and doesnt mind me joining their team im happy to drive in this...
I'm sure there will be team's looking for drivers, If your doing nothing this Saturday morning and you can get to Boondall, you should come down and meet the guys. It's a great morning!!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default boondall vintage

i think numbers on car is better then colours , no one has aerial tube anymore ..?
Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default boondall vintage

Originally Posted by Cam0_JP View Post
team craption needs one member

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service