R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Australian Events (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-events-150/)
-   -   2016 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Enduro 10/04/16 EP10 OFR (https://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-events/906161-2016-castle-hill-off-road-vintage-enduro-10-04-16-ep10-ofr.html)

NOFX 01-04-2016 10:18 PM

2016 Castle Hill Off Road Vintage Enduro 10/04/16 EP10 OFR

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!! The Castle Hill committee is proud to announce the Castle Hill Vintage Enduros for 2016 will be run on Sunday the 10th of April

Following the successful return of the vintage enduro in its new format in 2015, the feedback we have received is basically don’t change the rules, but maybe tweak a few cars up and down in points, so that’s what we’ve done! We’ve also made a minor tweak to the minimum time for a car in a 3 car team.

In general the feedback was that 4wds were overvalued because of the lower run times so their points were generally dropped a little and a few buggies were split out of a grouping and assigned their own points. With regards to the points values for particular buggies, the allocation takes into account the speed of the car, consideration is also given to rareness of the buggy, available gearing options, fragility and run time.

The biggest change for this year that both enduros will be run on the one day. The Blitzer enduro will be a 2hr event followed by the main enduro which will again run for 5 hours

Fast Facts
2 Hour Blitzer Enduro 3 or 4 drivers
Allowed chassis: Stadium Blitzer, Stadium Thunder, Blitzer beetle and Tamiya king cab/Hilux monster racer
800am: Blitzer enduro qualifying session (10 minutes)
830pm: 2 hour Blitzer enduro starts, (ending 1030am)
Motor Tamiya Sport tuned part no 53068 (team to supply own) must use 13 tooth pinion in Blitzer (recommend buy a steel pinion to replace standard Tamiya). In King cab/Hilux, gearing fixed at 77/19
Batteries: 6000mah 2s lipo max (hard case)
1 minute minimum pit stop time every time the car comes to the pits
Blitzers must be stock. You can run any electronics in the car, tyres are open (however they must be run on Blitzer rims) Springs / oils are open too and bearings are allowed. You can use any of the Blitzer bodies on your chassis, I’ve been asked about the beetle body given its an ABS body (heavy), Lexan beetle bodies such as the scorcher body made by TBG will be allowed. King cab/Hilux must run standard rims

5 hour - 3 or 4 Driver / multi car enduro
Motor: Johnson 540 motor for all cars (must be bought from the club or motors from the 2014/2015 festival can be used)
1100am: qualifying session (10 minutes)
1130am: 5 hour enduro race starts, ending 430pm
Batteries: 6000mah 2s lipo max (hard case) (No receiver packs)
1 minute minimum pit stop time every time the car comes to the pits

Entry Fee : $25 per driver covers you for both enduros

Qualifying: there will be a 10 minute session run for each enduro, fastest lap counts. Fastest lap gets first pick of marshalling position but it’s a reverse grid, so the fastest qualifying team will start last on the grid and so on

Practise: We will have timed practise available on Saturday for at least 4 hours, we’ll update the times for that closer to the event but its anticipated to be from around 10am to 2pm. (track conditions permitting). The track will be open for practise in the morning from around 7am and for a short time after the Blitzer endure

5 Hour Enduro

Teams: Teams will be made up of 3 or 4 drivers. In the 5 hour enduro you can run 1 to 4 cars (max 3 cars if 3 drivers) this means that you can share cars among drivers if you wish or all drive your own cars. Drivers must be nominated to a particular car and cannot jump across to drive a different car, for example, a team of 4 drivers with 3 cars, one car will be nominated for 2 drivers, in that way the car will be counted twice for the calculation for the salary cap and its minimum time requirement will be doubled.

Minimum time: Each driver must complete the minimum time requirement. For a 3 driver team that’s 1hr 30 minutes, 4 driver team is 1 hour minimum. Where a car has been nominated for multiple drivers, the minimum time requirement will be multiplied by the number of drivers assigned to the car. Cars falling under the 1 hour time limit (4 car team) or 1.5 hour time limit (3 car team) will lose a lap for every minute (or part-thereof) a car falls short of its minimum time.

Salary Cap: each team will submit their list of drivers and cars to me via pm. Each 4 car team is allocated a 14 point “salary cap” (11 points for 3 drivers) which their list of cars must equal or be less than. Each car has been allocated a points value that it brings to the team for example, a yokomo 870c is worth 5.5 points, if you have 2 870’s in your team (or share the car among 2 drivers) then you’ve used up 11 points so you only have 3 more points to spend on cars for the 4 driver team. Any combination of buggies/trucks is allowed as long as you meet the salary cap requirement. Teams using 1 car only will be allowed to run a car worth 4 points or less before bonus points are taken in to account.

All vintage and classic legal buggies and trucks are eligible, if your car is not on the attached list, please contact me for a points allocation. When submitting the team list, please let us know of any big upgrades made to the car eg, a gold pan rc10 with a stealth and long arms is classed as a normal rc10 not a purist spec car, likewise, a madcap running an astute chassis will be classed as an astute. All cars must fall within the allowed modifications for the Vintage Festival and all must meet the standard minimum weight limits 2wd=1500, 4wd=1600g and Truck=1700g except for plastic fantastic buggies

Bonus points to add to Salary cap

Grudge match bonus: Teams who contested the 2015 enduro will be able to utilise the same points bonus they received last year for the 2016 race. The aim being that those teams are able to present the same driver/car line-up this year so grudge matches from 2015 can carry over. I do understand that over the course of a year, it’s not always possible to bring back all the same drivers/cars so I’ll look at these on case by case basis if teams need to make changes

Apprentice can claim: this is where a driver can get in touch with me and ask for a leg up, maybe you’re not a local, maybe you’re more of a collector not a racer but you want to be in the enduro, maybe you’re upset that the Bangles still haven’t reformed and you think you might cry on the drivers stand lamenting that fact and it will affect your driving, never fear, help is at hand, ask and you may receive some bonus points (max 2) which will be added to your teams salary cap allowance. Each driver claim can be added to the cap so a team could end up with maximum 22 points to play with.

Non- vintage racer point bonus: teams will earn themselves 1 bonus point to their salary cap for including a driver/drivers in their team that has/have not competed at a castle hill vintage event in the past 3 years

Track: the long circuit will be used for the enduro, all cars must run over the jumps

Batteries: 2s lipo 6000mah max, hard case, no receiver packs

Motor: standard 540 Johnson control motor for all cars in the 5 hour enduro. You can use motors already purchased from the club for the 2014/2015 festival/enduro. If you need a motor, please indicate how many are needed when submitting the team, motors are $17 from the club and will be available in the lead up to the meeting or on the morning of the race, as usual, no running in of motors and no comm drops, just dab oil on the bushes and pop it in the car. In the blitzer enduro the Tamiya sport tuned motor is the control motor and each team is to supply their own motor and must use 13 tooth pinion only or 19/77 gearing in the king cab. Its recommended you buy a steel pinion for your Blitzer, 32p pinions are a perfect substitute

Gearing advice: to help those who have not geared a car for an enduro or not dealt with the Johnson 540 motor before, I offer the following starting points for gearing so you are in the ball park of how tall you may safely gear the car. Please remember when testing gearing, you should always check the motor temp at regular intervals (every few minutes) to ensure its not getting too hot, please also take into account your own car when thinking about gearing, my recommendations are for a car with a reasonably efficient gearbox and close to the weight limit, so if you’re running an avante which has a million gears in it and weighs about 3 tonnes, consider dropping the pinion 1 or 2 teeth below my recommendations.

Last year with the cooler weather the cars were able to carry taller gearing than I had predicted however as we found, the motors might cope with running tall gearing but run time suffers so you have to make additional pit stops. Start on the higher end of the FDR and if temps are good, you can try going up on the pinion. 2wd (6.7-7.2) 4wd (7.3-7.8) Truck (8.6-9.2). If anyone needs help turning those numbers into what pinion they should run on their car, please get in touch with me.

I am more than happy to help, my aim is to help everyone be as competitive as possible (or at least feel like there’s no great secret recipe to gearing or other things), so as we get closer to the event, I’ll update people with what tyres are working on the track. Given that there aren’t any plans to change the surface in the next few months, I’d say the same tyres that worked at the festival will work again, so Sweep- Square armours, Proline – Holeshots, AKA – Rebars or if you want a long lasting tyre, proline calibers are a good choice. If there is no adverse weather, the track should be grippy and smooth as the enduro is being held 1 week after the round of the club series.

Pit stops: cars will come in the pit entry to the left of the drivers stand, there will be a table in place if teams want to make a battery change and send the same car back out again. In order to make it fair for teams electing to run 1 car, pit stops will have a minimum time of 1 minute. This means that the car will pull in, as soon as it has entered pit lane, the stop watch will commence, the teams car next to go out will wait at the exit of pit lane until 1 minute has elapsed then will be allowed to leave. This is also for safety purposes so we don’t have people running up and down the stairs etc

If a car breaks down on the track, it must be brought back into pit lane, the car must not pass over the timing loop as its brought back into the pit lane. The pit stop timer starts once the broken car makes it back to pit lane, the team will still wait the 1 minute pit stop time then release the next car

It will be the teams responsibility to ensure the car does not leave pit lane too early for every pit stop. This will be checked at the end of the race by looking at the lap times, teams falling under the minimum lap time for a pitstop will lose a lap for every 3 seconds (or part therof) under the minimum lap time. A couple of teams fell short on the pit stop time last year, luckily it didn’t affect the overall result but given the close results, it could easily change the finishing order this year

Transponders: all cars must have their own personal transponder for both enduros

Marshals: all teams must have a marshal in their designated spot at all times during the race. On each occasion a team does not have a marshal in the designated point, they will incur a 60 second stop-go penalty in the pit lane and the team will not be able to swap to a different car or change the battery or work on the car.

Scrutineering: Teams must present all cars for scrutineering prior to qualifying for the race. Each car will be checked for weight, hop ups and motor. As mentioned, we ask that when submitting the team you let us know of any major hop ups to the cars, the points allocated are based on many factors, any changes to the car may need to be reflected in the points allocation.

Judges of fact: we will nominate a few judges of fact for the race. They will be announced at the drivers meeting. Judges of fact will be able to issue stop go penalties for driving infringements and pit lane infringements such as a car leaving pit lane too early or without the broken down car being returned to pit lane

Hopefully that’s everything, the aim with the dates is to keep the events close to 6 months apart so people can get their vintage fix and its not too long to wait for the next one and sorry for the long post

Cheers

Mikey

Capt_Splatt 01-06-2016 01:40 PM

Team planning has already commenced :tire::tire:

Hopefully my car stays 4WD all day this time around.

NOFX 01-07-2016 03:25 PM

Thats great news Dean, hey i thought your car went almost as quick in 2wd mode lol

Ok guys, i've got a couple of dudes looking for a team mate. if you're thinking of running the enduro but dont have a team, get in touch with me and i'll put you in contact. the guys looking for a team mate are pretty flexible in the cars they can run so you will be able to run a car with pretty high points if you want

stephenianjames 01-09-2016 05:42 PM

Ola senors,

This Mexican has confirmed sponsorship for the enduro from my native Old El Paso, so be sure to watch out for the yellow, green and red VW beetle shelled RC10 graphite.... aye yaye yaye.

cleatus 01-10-2016 11:11 PM

Epic post Mikey !!!

Very much looking forward to this event :nod::nod:

cleatus 01-11-2016 01:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all, here are a couple of cars I finished over the Xmas break.
Wild One is my Xmas present to myself, Terra Scorcher was a fix up job with a new shell and the Top Force is just a new shell on my usual car :D
Top Force will be run at the enduro.

So what is everyone else running ???

Wheel Nut 01-11-2016 02:21 PM

Is the Tamiya Stadium Blitzer allowed in the 5 hour enduro Michael???

NOFX 01-11-2016 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wheel Nut (Post 14343740)
Is the Tamiya Stadium Blitzer allowed in the 5 hour enduro Michael???

Sure is!! It's worth 2 points

Cheers

xrayracer1 01-11-2016 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cleatus (Post 14342955)
Hi all, here are a couple of cars I finished over the Xmas break.
Wild One is my Xmas present to myself, Terra Scorcher was a fix up job with a new shell and the Top Force is just a new shell on my usual car :D
Top Force will be run at the enduro.

So what is everyone else running ???

You know what im running.....the ol' faithful RC10 Worlds.:cool:

cleatus 01-12-2016 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by xrayracer1 (Post 14343781)
You know what im running.....the ol' faithful RC10 Worlds.:cool:

This is great news Gav !! Because that thing is Faaaasssssstttttttt :nod::nod:

xrayracer1 01-18-2016 12:56 AM

Hey guys, there is a high possibility that i wont be making this years enduro. With Clint pulling out, im not sure what Dean is doing, there's a 70% chance i wont be attending.

Capt_Splatt 01-18-2016 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by xrayracer1 (Post 14352581)
Hey guys, there is a high possibility that i wont be making this years enduro. With Clint pulling out, im not sure what Dean is doing, there's a 70% chance i wont be attending.

Hey Gav,
My apologies for not being around online much. I'm still in and still looking for drivers for the Blitzer too. I took on a new job before Chrissy and a couple of other non-racing things so, I've been a tad busy.

With you and me, I'm sure we can find another driver or 2. I still haven't hit up some of the old regulars. We can double down and you can help me get that Blitzer of mine around too! (Good warm up!)

xrayracer1 01-18-2016 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Capt_Splatt (Post 14352608)
Hey Gav,
My apologies for not being around online much. I'm still in and still looking for drivers for the Blitzer too. I took on a new job before Chrissy and a couple of other non-racing things so, I've been a tad busy.

With you and me, I'm sure we can find another driver or 2. I still haven't hit up some of the old regulars. We can double down and you can help me get that Blitzer of mine around too! (Good warm up!)

Ok mate, we just need to find at leat 1 more driver. If you want we can drive my Blitzer as its never been driven and you can save your Blitzer beetle for the vintage festival.:nod:

NOFX 01-18-2016 02:46 AM

I was going to say Gav, you and Rob were probably the most valuable drivers last year with lap times and run time, I've no doubt you and Dean can pick up a good team mate or two. Glad to hear the team is back on track, literally
Cheers

Mikey

NOFX 01-21-2016 07:25 PM

Hey guys

We’ve already got a lot of interest in the enduro with a lot of the teams from last year looking for a rematch

The Codgers are shaping up for a rematch with a 2 car effort

The Lost Mexican have found their Mexican so will be a 4 driver team this year

The Wannabees have lost Pete who has formed a new team from the Canberra region, then they lost Clint due to a double booking!! Currently accepting resumes for prospective team mates

Team Tamiya have shockingly added a kyosho to the line-up so a name change will be required

I’ve got 5 dudes so far who have contacted me who are keen to join a team and 4 more who are maybes so its looking very positive at this stage

No payments on the day so I think the best thing is I’ll confirm teams on the list once all the drivers are paid so as team captains send me the list of drivers/cars, I’ll pass on the payment details (Paypal is easiest) and drivers can either pay individually or someone can pay for the team.

Due to the space on the drivers stand being restricted, we have to limit it to 11 teams which would be awesome if we got to that. We won’t over-subscribe the grid, it’ll just be the first 11 teams paid up are locked in

Cheers

Mikey